I love the way some try to put a postive spin

I just love the way some posters try to sugar coat the Bills disasters. After a disasterous move the team makes, they begin the "On second thought, It's not so bad. Or the "Just wait and see" kind of stuff.

The lastest is our # 8 draft pick. Now, after the initial reaction to the disaster has sunk in, some are trying to play up or sugar coat this disaster.

It's the same kind of talk we heard after these disasters:

1) Greggo over Marvin Lewis and John Fox

2) Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie

3) Mularkey over Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennell

Tell me, how did those turn out folks?

Excuse me if I am unable to see the brighter side of this draft pick. I'm just looking at the facts of the past.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what, I guarantee Donte Whitner will not be an out-and-out bust. He was a playmaker at OSU and will at least become a good safety for us. But, "good" will not justify this pick. He needs to become an All-Pro in order to justfy a top 10 pick and salary and passing up a second rounder.

I just love the way some poster try to sugar coat the Bills disasters. After a disasterous move the team makes, they begin the "On second thought, It's not so bad. Or the "Just wait and see" kind of stuff.

The lastest is our # 8 draft pick. Now, after the initial reaction to the disaster has sunk in, some are trying to play up or sugar coat this disaster.

3) Malarkey over Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennell

Excuse me if I am unable to see the brighter side of this draft pick. I'm just looking at the facts of the past.

675135[/snapback]

Thurman thomas was a waste of a pick too. Him and those crappy knees. Letting Howard Ballard and Nate Odoms go was a terrible mistake. Drafting Bledsoe will solve our problems. Lofton is over the hill. Marv Levy never coached anywhere. No receivier from Kutztown can make it in the NFL.

Please, be selective in your ability to predict the past with such accuracy.

No matter what, I guarantee Donte Whitner will not be an out-and-out bust.  He was a playmaker at OSU and will at least become a good safety for us.  But, "good" will not justify this pick.  He needs to become an All-Pro in order to justfy a top 10 pick and salary and passing up a second rounder.

675141[/snapback]

Where's the 2nd rounder crap come from? And again, who would you have picked at 8? Go on the record.

No matter what, I guarantee Donte Whitner will not be an out-and-out bust.  He was a playmaker at OSU and will at least become a good safety for us.  But, "good" will not justify this pick.  He needs to become an All-Pro in order to justfy a top 10 pick and salary and passing up a second rounder.

675141[/snapback]

I agree with your analysis that that is what needs to happen to make this seem plausible. But the fact is that the scouting reports have this kid as a pretty good, but not great player.

I just love the way some posters try to sugar coat the Bills disasters. After a disasterous move the team makes, they begin the "On second thought, It's not so bad. Or the "Just wait and see" kind of stuff.

675135[/snapback]

I hear where you're coming from, but what go does screaming and bitching get us??? No where. You just have to trust that the people in the front office for the Bills know their football better than people on the internet. The draft isn't an exact science. Who knew Tony M (lineman for the Packers) was going to be a bust? Or the Boz? Or Ryan Leaf? And I could go on and on. Point is the future will tell and I though I'm not thrilled by the pick, I will support the Bills and remain optimistic for the upcoming season. It's called being a good fan. ;)

This needs to be Troy Polamalu Jr. Otherwise, how do you inform Denver and Philadelphia you won't trade down for an extra high pick, especially for a team (the Bills) that has a multitude of holes?

And you draft this guy because Detroit was going to take him??? Matt Millen's Detroit Lions???

;) OY

675141[/snapback]

Denver gave St Louis a 3rd not a 2nd plus there was no guarantee that Whitner would have been there if we traded down. Detroit may well have taken him with the next pick.

Thurman thomas was a waste of a pick too. Him and those crappy knees. Letting Howard Ballard and Nate Odoms go was a terrible mistake. Drafting Bledsoe will solve our problems. Lofton is over the hill. Marv Levy never coached anywhere. No receivier from Kutztown can make it in the NFL.

675150[/snapback]

You're comparing apples and oranges. Thurman was a steal in the 2nd, letting Ballard and Odomes go turned out to be the right calls. What does that have to do with this reach # 8?

Marv never coached anywhere? Well, yes he did. But he never GMed anywhere before.

Where's the 2nd rounder crap come from? And again, who would you have picked at 8? Go on the record.

675152[/snapback]

Trade down, man. S is a need, but as the above poster said, a top 10 pick has to have a high probability of becoming All Pro. That's a big, big if with an undersized guy like Whitner.

675150[/snapback]

Kudos, good post.

As far as the subject at hand, how the hell does anyone know what was offered? The Bills obviously liked the kid and it doesn't kill me to see him drafted. If he doesn't pan out in 4 years ala Mike Williams we can revisit this pick and complain but let him be a bust first.

I wanted ML or a trade down as well but it was obvious alot of the players Buffalo was associated with (Ngata, Bunkley) went right after us. I also think it speaks volumes of ML and his staff willing to give the young qb's a chance. Will it bite them in the ass? Probabily. Yet let it happen first.

Don't try predicting the future. Usually it doesn't work out too well.

T_R

Trade down, man.  S is a need, but as the above poster said, a top 10 pick has to have a high probability of becoming All Pro.  That's a big, big if with an undersized guy like Whitner.

675170[/snapback]

Undersized? Get a grip: he's 5'101/2 and 205 lbs. Same as Reed. There are 4(!) corners that are 6'2" or taller in the NFL. His size is fine.

Denver gave St Louis a 3rd not a 2nd plus there was no guarantee that Whitner would have been there if we traded down.  Detroit may well have taken him with the next pick.

675160[/snapback]

So he's not there. Say "sh--," and move on--with a much better chance to land another quality player with the extra 3rd round pick to fill the wide number of holes on this team.

Falling in love with a player is a dangerous thing on a team this weak.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Thurman was a steal in the 2nd, letting Ballard and Odomes go turned out to be the right calls. What does that have to do with this reach # 8?

Marv never coached anywhere? Well, yes he did. But he never GMed anywhere before.

675167[/snapback]

Duh. Of course Thurman was a steal, and letting Odomes and Ballard go was right. But all those decisions were questioned. As the basis for questioning this draft, you selected three questionable decsions from the past, but ignored other questionable things that worked out. Be honest: you've been wrong on things like this before.

Whitner might have been a reach at #8, but he's not a real question mark. He's a solid 3-down baller who is fast (4.45) and a special teams' player. He is a leader with no baggage.

Who would you have taken that would have had more impact and had fewer questions?

675150[/snapback]

Thurman Thomas wasnt the 8th pick in the draft and wasnt even drafted in the first round

Nate hurt himself outside of football and the Bills line has sucked since ballard left

Drafting Bledsoe???????

Lofton was a free agent pickup that cost the Bills nothing but money

Andre Reed was a 4th round pick

your arguments are completely off base and none have anything to do with the Bills taking Whitner at 8 today

Kudos, good post. 

As far as the subject at hand, how the hell does anyone know what was offered?  The Bills obviously liked the kid and it doesn't kill me to see him drafted.  If he doesn't pan out in 4 years ala Mike Williams we can revisit this pick and complain but let him be a bust first. 

I wanted ML or a trade down as well but it was obvious alot of the players Buffalo was associated with (Ngata, Bunkley) went right after us.  I also think it speaks volumes of ML and his staff willing to give the young qb's a chance.  Will it bite them in the ass?  Probabily.  Yet let it happen first. 

Don't try predicting the future.  Usually it doesn't work out too well.

T_R

675175[/snapback]

Not wanting to predict the future was why I used examples of past disasters.

My point is: When you go "against the grain" like this, the odds are much higher that you've errored than hit a home run. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the odds are strongly against it.

And with the history of Buffalo sports teams. . . do you really think we are the "lucky ones" ? (see dictionary definitions: torture, misery)

675135[/snapback]

While i also disagree with this pick (mostly because I think we shoulda/coulda traded down to get him) I do not see that also acknowledging reality in terms of adding Whitner to this team is sugar coating this pick I would not have made.

Whitner is clearly an upgrade over Coy Wire at a pivotal position for this team. I think this is true. Do you disagree?

I think they could have gotten this quality of player with a trade down to the mid first, but while i disagree it is hard for me to say really this is a disaster. Given I am missing the critical fact of having talked to this man and that based on what we know about Whitner he is a clear upgade for this team at a position of critical need in a Cover 2, I think the failure to see reality here is those who declare this a total disaster.

Perhaps it is for those more tuned into fantasy football snd whose season revolves around draft assessment rather than Ws, but this is a pick I disagree with which has plusses and minuses.