Merrill Hoge has serious doubts

zow2

Anyone else hear Merrill Hoge on the Dan Patrick show yesterday? Fairly interesting actually. He said he watched hours and hours of tape on Leinhart, Vince Young and Cutler. He says Cutler is by far the most polished QB and is in position to be the best QB from this draft. HE said Leinhart and Young have flaws that cannot be corrected and they will struggle in the NFL. HE also said those two may not even be worthy of a 1st round pick if you look at the flaws and not just the big name aspect. I won't get into all the details of what he said but it's pretty interesting to hear a guy who covers the NFL go out on a limb like that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else hear Merrill Hoge on the Dan Patrick show yesterday? Fairly interesting actually.  He said he watched hours and hours of tape on Leinhart, Vince Young and Cutler.  He says Cutler is by far the most polished QB and is in position to be the best QB from this draft.  HE said Leinhart and Young have flaws that cannot be corrected and they will struggle in the NFL.  HE also said those two may not even be worthy of a 1st round pick if you look at the flaws and not just the big name aspect.  I won't get into all the details of what he said but it's pretty interesting to hear a guy who covers the NFL go out on a limb like that.

672788[/snapback]

I think this is probably the most fair assessment of the big quarterbacks that I have seen.

I don't agree that Young's flaws can't be corrected - I think he will step up to his situation just like he's been doing his whole life.

Predictions:

Leinhart = Pennington. Pretty good, decent production, will get crushed, will leave his receivers out to dry, will sign big contract and won't be worth it. To me, he is too slow from the time he decides to pass until it gets out of his hand, and he is too slow to avoid the speed of the NFL.

Young = New Mexico. Great flashy player, win some games on his own. Will never be the passer necessary. Some fans will think he's great and just as many think he sucks. Some team will pay him huge bucks even the second contract and will break as many hearts as tackles and promises. He may never, however, transmit STDs.

I have no read on Cutler, never seen him play.

I think this is probably the most fair assessment of the big quarterbacks that I have seen.

I don't agree that Young's flaws can't be corrected - I think he will step up to his situation just like he's been doing his whole life.

672807[/snapback]

It took you 11 minutes to respond to a VY post, I am asshamed, I thought you had a signal that went ou to any post that Vince Young appears in, LOL

The problem is QB is usually one of the most overhyped position in the draft cause it is usually a need for alot of teams and the most imortant player on a team. They are usually highly overrated and alot of the times the best one from college ends up a bust in the NFL and the lower ranked ones turn out to be the best

About a month ago they had Salisbury, Hoge and Wingo doing some thing about the big 3 QBs in the draft and Hoge says this and I quote "I believe that Kellen Clemens form Oregon is the best QB prospect in the draft". Salisbury looked at him like he had three heads. Hoge has got to be one of the worst football commentator/reporters that ESPN has.

He said he watched hours and hours of tape on Leinhart, Vince Young and Cutler. 

672788[/snapback]

Translation: He has watched hours worth of games that they have played in. Rose Bowl, OSU v. UT, ND v. USC, etc...

The guy brags about watching "hours and hours" of film more than any other analyst. You would think though with his huge lead in this department that he would occasionally be right... :blink:

About a month ago they had Salisbury, Hoge and Wingo doing some thing about the big 3 QBs in the draft and Hoge says this and I quote "I believe that Kellen Clemens form Oregon is the best QB prospect in the draft". Salisbury looked at him like he had three heads. Hoge has got to be one of the worst football commentator/reporters that ESPN has.

672822[/snapback]

That was a month ago, and three totally different viewpoints ago. Although, now that I think of it, their opinions could have come full circle in a month. That's a long time. Leinhart could have been Johnny Unitas, Joe Kapp, Joe Namath, David Klinger, Joe Montana, Ryan Leaf, and now Peyton Manning.

It took you 11 minutes to respond to a VY post, I am asshamed, I thought you had a signal that went ou to any post that Vince Young appears in, LOL

The problem is QB is usually one of the most overhyped position in the draft cause it is usually a need for alot of teams and the most imortant player on a team. They are usually highly overrated and alot of the times the best one from college ends up a bust in the NFL and the lower ranked ones turn out to be the best

672821[/snapback]

:blink: I smiled.

How many huge and slow QBs have succeeded at a high level? Bledsoe closest thing.

672866[/snapback]

kelly was pretty big (and slow) - 6'3 1/2" and about 220 lbs. aikman was big (6'4") and slow too. plunkett was big and slow. daryle lamonica was too if memory serves.

672822[/snapback]

He might be, but let's see if he turns out to be right about these QB's. First round QB busts are a fairly regular occurrence. I think for this QB class, if you asked me from which bucket of players will the best QB in this class come from, the top 3, or the rest of the field, I think I would choose the field.

That was a month ago, and three totally different viewpoints ago. Although, now that I think of it, their opinions could have come full circle in a month. That's a long time. Leinhart could have been Johnny Unitas, Joe Kapp, Joe Namath, David Klinger, Joe Montana, Ryan Leaf, and now Peyton Manning.

672871[/snapback]

Clemons very well maybe the best QB years from now, but I wouldnt go on air and make a statement like that, would you?