Matt Leinart will be a bust.....

djh

Matt was impressive with a great team around him.

- 5 seconds to pass

- Lendale White blocking as RB

- Reggie Bush to dump off for 3 yards & run for 40

- Big TE

- Big WR's

but he rarely threw deep. One reason is he didn't have to. Second reason, his arm is weak. At his USC pro workout last week, Leinart had trouble hitting deep passes..........WITH NO DEFENDERS. SCARY!!!

Cade McNown was awesome in college but was exposed in the windy town of Chicago. Forget Chicago, he didn't have an NFL arm....similar to Leinart. In Buffalo, we have a weak OL, questionable TE's; ok WR's; good RB; ok FB. JP would run circles around Leinart on a level playing field.

At Tulane, JP had zero offensive line. The reason JP did so well is that Tulane's coach was smart enough to play to JP's strength's & not pigeon hole him into a system...(like Mularkey). For GOD's sake, Mularkey & TD were to ignorant to not use a frickin' roll out with JP. That should be a given, but the coaches screwed up 90% of decisions last year. Movin' on....looking forward to Juaron's (or anyone else's) style of coaching!!!

So.....if Leinart drops (which he should), don't cry if Buffalo passes on him at the eighth spot. It would just mean that Buffalo mgmt & others did their homework.

Bottom line....Buffalo needs linemen....esp. O-Linemen!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but he rarely threw deep.  One reason is he didn't have to.  Second reason, his arm is weak.  At his USC pro workout last week, Leinart had trouble hitting deep passes..........WITH NO DEFENDERS.  SCARY!!!

Cade McNown was awesome in college but was exposed in the windy town of Chicago.  Forget Chicago, he didn't have an NFL arm....similar to Leinart. 

666409[/snapback]

Did you mean Leinart has a weak arm like Joe Montana?

666411[/snapback]

Leinart = Montana ???

Montana was able to throw 30 yards downfield, in an actual game.

Leinart couldn't do it at practice.

if Leinart drops (which he should), don't cry if Buffalo passes on him at the eighth spot.

The only thing that could make me cry would be if the Bills were stupid enough to spend that high pick on any QB. And Cade McNown's arm wasn't his real problem; his real problem was the huge empty space between his ears.

I think the area between Linus' ears is his saving grace and that he'll eventually be a serviceable NFL quarterback, even if drafted too high.

Cya

666411[/snapback]

No, I think he meant like Tom Brady.

Or was it Chad Pennington?

Or like all those pre-draft reports that questioned Peyton's arm?-)

Leinart = Montana ???

Montana was able to throw 30 yards downfield, in an actual game.

Leinart couldn't do it at practice.

666414[/snapback]

No one said Leinart = Montana, I said Leinart's arm = Montana's arm.

Montana's weak arm was also being critized when he came out of college. Montana didn't throw 30 yeads downfield when he was in Notre Dame.

If weak arm implies bust, the NFL scouts will know that before you.

So.....if Leinart drops (which he should), don't cry if Buffalo passes on him at the eighth spot.   It would just mean that Buffalo mgmt & others did their homework.

Bottom line....Buffalo needs linemen....esp. O-Linemen!!!

666409[/snapback]

Leinart 'dropping' would be him falling any lower than #3. You can debate all you want about Leinart simply being a function of a winning team, but the fact is, he was 37-2 as a starter, and lost both games by 3 points. Ask Hollywood Donahoe and AKC about their 'Brady wins' vs. 'the system wins' arguments...Leinart playing at USC is the same thing. While clearly they had the best players, over the course of 37 victories, your QB is going to have to do something special to win a few of those games.

I could see him taking a year or two, but then being very successful, a la Drew Brees (another weak-armer out of the draft).

I could be wrong, but wasn't that play on 4th and 9 against Notre Dame a pass over 30 yards??? :D No offense but comparing players from previous eras is silly to me. Just like it is stupid to compare JP to RJ. Each player is unique. And for the record, I don't think Leinart will be a superstar. However,I believe he will be a very solid starter for many years. As a QB, winning football games is a very underrated statistic. And nobody did a better job than Leinart. Conversely, the fact that Cutler didn't win many games would scare me away as well. Anyway, that's just my two cents. :lol:

Leinart 'dropping' would be him falling any lower than #3.  You can debate all you want about Leinart simply being a function of a winning team, but the fact is, he was 37-2 as a starter, and lost both games by 3 points.  Ask Hollywood Donahoe and AKC about their 'Brady wins' vs. 'the system wins' arguments...Leinart playing at USC is the same thing.  While clearly they had the best players, over the course of 37 victories, your QB is going to have to do something special to win a few of those games.

I could see him taking a year or two, but then being very successful, a la Drew Brees (another weak-armer out of the draft).

666421[/snapback]

Tenn would be the only team ahead of Buffalo that should take Leinart. Chow (tenn coach) knows him better than anyone, if he passes on him....he'll prob drop out of top 10.

It's interesting how there was speculation that he would be the #1 pick overall last year....looks like staying at USC cost him big $$$$$$$.......we'll see.

I could be wrong, but wasn't that play on 4th and 9 against Notre Dame a pass over 30 yards???  :D  No offense but comparing players from previous eras is silly to me.  Just like it is stupid to compare JP to RJ.  Each player is unique.  And for the record, I don't think Leinart will be a superstar.  However,I believe he will be a very solid starter for many years.  As a QB, winning football games is a very underrated statistic.  And nobody did a better job than Leinart.  Conversely, the fact that Cutler didn't win many games would scare me away as well.  Anyway, that's just my two cents.  :lol:

666423[/snapback]

On that 4th & 9....it was a perfect pass. Buf for about 7 yards with 20 to 30 yard run.

I could be wrong, but wasn't that play on 4th and 9 against Notre Dame a pass over 30 yards??? 

666423[/snapback]

While that was a good pass at a college level in the pros it probably would've been picked off it floated and was on the inside shoulder of the receiver an nfl db 7 out of 10 times would make a play on it. I like Matt Leinart he's acurate, smart decision maker and doesnt seem to get flustered. The thing I question about Leinart is he really commited to football. Remember he could've and would've been the #1 overall pick last year but opted to stay in and its not like it was to take classes. The only class he had was ballroom dancing :lol: More then anything I question his commitment to the game, but he is the most ready qb of this class. I believe Brodie Croyle could end up being the best out of it.

Anyone watched that game knows the pass was much more than 7 yards.

try again  :lol:

666428[/snapback]

ok ....8 yards. He didn't hit the marker when he caught it.

Either way.....would you consider picking Leinart at the 8th spot (if available)???

I've been saying for a while that I think Leinart will be a bust. I don't think it will have to do with his physical skills though. I don't know if the kid has the desire to be the best at the NFL level. Honestly, I kind of saw it as a sign of weakness when he came back for his senior season. They had just won 2 national championships, and he would have easliy been a top 5 pick (if not the clear choice #1).

To me, that kinda says he was content staying at USC, being dominant, and probably nailing every coed on campus. Now from a logical point of view, no way you can blame him for that. However, I think it shows that he may have been a little bit afraid to get out of his comfort zone and take on a new challenge that would undoubtably have some low points. I have a feeling that this year's QB class is going to be a disappointment (with the possible exception of Young, I still really haven't made up my mind on him). Now that I've said that, Leinart will probably start in the league for 15 years or so, get some rings, and never miss a start. :lol:

On that 4th & 9....it was a perfect pass.  Buf for about 7 yards with 20 to 30 yard run.

666426[/snapback]

You think that throw only went for 7 yards in the air? Somebody needs to go back and look at the tape again.

That being said the deep ball isn't really the worry when it comes to arm strength, it's the deep out. Pretty much any QB, given time, can throw the ball 40 yards down field but any QB can't thread a needle on a 15-20 yard deep out. Not being able to throw the deep out makes it much easier for defenders as they don't have to really worry about that portion of the field. A QB must be able to use the entire field and from what I've seen Matt Leinart can certainly do that.

Leinart's arm isn't an attribute but it's average and average is good enough as long as he's not playing in NYC or Buffalo. Leinart's main attributes are his decision making and his coolness under pressure. I'll take those over arm strength any day of the week.

get your fact straight before you open your month. It's ok to criticize a player, but get the fact straight.  :lol:

666431[/snapback]

Get the facts straight ??? There is no way in hell he threw over 30 yards like you said.......check the facts before you open your piehole.

Would you pick him at the eighth spot???

HELLLLLLL NO!!!!

The pass was about 25- yards on the inside shoulder of dwayne jarrett the db got outplayed and the total length of the play was 61 yards to the nd  13

666446[/snapback]

You're right......about the 61 yards.