What the Denver/San Francisco Trade Means

marck

I noticed that was some interest in the Denver/San Francisco trade yesterday and I want to address why that trade was made.

By getting San Francisco's 2nd & 3rd round picks this year, Denver now has the proper ammunination to make the two moves they want and feel will get them into the Super Bowl.

As you all know, Denver has been looking for a #1 receiver to eventually replace Rod Smith, in addition Ashly Leslie wants to be traded. Denver gets the 15th pick in a 3 cornered deal with Atlanta and the Jets, the thought is, here's the pick for Chad Jackson. But also note that Denver lost Jeb Putzier and has only Stephen Alexander on its roster at Tight End. Factor in also that to get access to TE Vernon Davis the Broncos reasoned that they must get ahead of both San Francisco and Oakland in the draft.

This is where Green Bay comes into play. The Packers are in a rebuilding mode and have multiple needs, principally at offensive guard and playmaking pressure linebacker. At the 5th pick, the natural selection would be A.J. Hawk, nice fill but not exactly the guy the Packers want with Nick Barnett on their roster. Also, remember the Green Bay also has a disgrunteled receiver in Javon Walker.

Now that I have set the scenario for you, here is the move that makes complete sense and watch for this on draft day:

When the commissioner goes to the podium with the 5th selection in the draft he will make the announcement of the following trade:

Green Bay has traded this choice to the Denver Broncos, Green Bay will receive Denver's choice in the fisrt round, pick # 15, the 2nd round choice that Denver received from San Franciso, Pick # 37 and Denver's other 2nd or the 3rd round pick that got from San Francisco. Also in the trade will be the exchange of wide receivers with Walker going to Denver and Leslie going to Green Bay.

Denver with the pick selects TE Vernon Davis, Green Bay with the pick from Denver selects one of three pass rush pressure linebackers, Kamerion Mimberly, Ernie Sims or Manny Lawson. The Packers with back-to-back picks early in the 2nd round select OG's Luiti and Davin Joseph.

In one complex move the Bronco's add the tight end and wide receiver they want in Davis anbd Walker, the Packers get a pass rush linebacker and two offensive guards that rebuild their interrior of the offensive line, remembering they have three good tackles.

Questions and comments are welcome.

I cant see the WR swap happening. Denver would need to give up more. The 1, 2, 2, or 1, 2, 3 may be enough to jump form 15 to 5, but the packers want a 1st rounder (it was on espn yesterday, no link tho) for Walker.

What the trade actually means is that SF can take vernon davis with pick #6, and doesnt have to worry about a CB/S until pick 22 when they can grab cromartie or yobouty.

If you read your local sports section, you might find a little blurb about Javon Walker for Ashlie Leslie already planted.

Bank on what I am saying this will go down as it makes perfect sense for both teams.

I cant see the WR swap happening. Denver would need to give up more. The 1, 2, 2, or 1, 2, 3 may be enough to jump form 15 to 5, but the packers want a 1st rounder (it was on espn yesterday, no link tho) for Walker.

What the trade actually means is that SF can take vernon davis with pick #6, and doesnt have to worry about a CB/S until pick 22 when they can grab cromartie or yobouty.

666139[/snapback]

I noticed that was some interest in the Denver/San Francisco trade yesterday and I want to address why that trade was made.

By getting San Francisco's 2nd & 3rd round picks this year, Denver now has the proper ammunination to make the two moves they want and feel will get them into the Super Bowl.

As you all know, Denver has been looking for a #1 receiver to eventually replace Rod Smith, in addition Ashly Leslie wants to be traded.  Denver gets the 15th pick in a 3 cornered deal with Atlanta and the Jets, the thought is, here's the pick for Chad Jackson. But also note that Denver lost Jeb Putzier and has only Stephen Alexander on its roster at Tight End.  Factor in also that to get access to TE Vernon Davis the Broncos reasoned that they must get ahead of both San Francisco and Oakland in the draft.

This is where Green Bay comes into play.  The Packers are in a rebuilding mode and have multiple needs, principally at offensive guard and playmaking pressure linebacker. At the 5th pick, the natural selection would be A.J. Hawk, nice fill but not exactly the guy the Packers want with Nick Barnett on their roster.  Also, remember the Green Bay also has a disgrunteled receiver in Javon Walker.

Now that I have set the scenario for you, here is the move that makes complete sense and watch for this on draft day:

When the commissioner goes to the podium with the 5th selection in the draft he will make the announcement of the following trade:

Green Bay has traded this choice to the Denver Broncos, Green Bay will receive Denver's choice in the fisrt round, pick # 15, the 2nd round choice that Denver received from San Franciso, Pick # 37 and Denver's other 2nd or the 3rd round pick that got from San Francisco.  Also in the trade will be the exchange of wide receivers with Walker going to Denver and Leslie going to Green Bay.

Denver with the pick selects TE Vernon Davis, Green Bay with the pick from Denver selects one of three pass rush pressure linebackers, Kamerion Mimberly, Ernie Sims or Manny Lawson.  The Packers with back-to-back picks early in the 2nd round select OG's Luiti and Davin Joseph.

In one complex move the Bronco's add the tight end and wide receiver they want in Davis anbd Walker, the Packers get a pass rush linebacker and two offensive guards that rebuild their interrior of the offensive line, remembering they have three good tackles.

666121[/snapback]

That's an interesting point. I think that could happen but I think that Green Bay will select AJ Hawk at number 5 to compliment Nick Barnett.

If there is any kind of truth from this report from KFFL, then it would change the complexion with Denver and Green Bay.

Jets | V. Davis entering the picture

Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:29:33 -0700

Bob Glauber and Ken Berger, of Newsday, report there is increased speculation in league circles that the New York Jets are giving serious consideration to drafting Maryland TE Vernon Davis, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years. The 6-3, 254-pound Davis has been on the rise on draft boards all spring because of his athleticism, 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash and ability to stretch the field. Last season at Maryland, Davis had 51 catches for 871 yards and six touchdowns.

If there is any kind of truth from this report from KFFL, then it would change the complexion with Denver and Green Bay.

Jets | V. Davis entering the picture

Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:29:33 -0700

Bob Glauber and Ken Berger, of Newsday, report there is increased speculation in league circles that the New York Jets are giving serious consideration to drafting Maryland TE Vernon Davis, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years. The 6-3, 254-pound Davis has been on the rise on draft boards all spring because of his athleticism, 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash and ability to stretch the field. Last season at Maryland, Davis had 51 catches for 871 yards and six touchdowns.

666305[/snapback]

nothing like a little pre-draft smoekscreen to create some trade interest

As you all know, Denver has been looking for a #1 receiver to eventually replace Rod Smith, in addition Ashly Leslie wants to be traded.  Denver gets the 15th pick in a 3 cornered deal with Atlanta and the Jets, the thought is, here's the pick for Chad Jackson. But also note that Denver lost Jeb Putzier and has only Stephen Alexander on its roster at Tight End.  Factor in also that to get access to TE Vernon Davis the Broncos reasoned that they must get ahead of both San Francisco and Oakland in the draft.

This is where Green Bay comes into play.  The Packers are in a rebuilding mode and have multiple needs, principally at offensive guard and playmaking pressure linebacker. At the 5th pick, the natural selection would be A.J. Hawk, nice fill but not exactly the guy the Packers want with Nick Barnett on their roster.  Also, remember the Green Bay also has a disgrunteled receiver in Javon Walker.

Green Bay has traded this choice to the Denver Broncos, Green Bay will receive Denver's choice in the fisrt round, pick # 15, the 2nd round choice that Denver received from San Franciso, Pick # 37 and Denver's other 2nd or the 3rd round pick that got from San Francisco.  Also in the trade will be the exchange of wide receivers with Walker going to Denver and Leslie going to Green Bay.

Denver with the pick selects TE Vernon Davis, Green Bay with the pick from Denver selects one of three pass rush pressure linebackers, Kamerion Mimberly, Ernie Sims or Manny Lawson.  The Packers with back-to-back picks early in the 2nd round select OG's Luiti and Davin Joseph.

666121[/snapback]

Your scenario is too far fetched and won't happen. I can see a trade Wr's or another part working but all of this? Although it may make sense, in your mind, it's alot to have happen. I just don't see anyway that all of those parts fall into place.

Anytime you rely on more than blank for blank, it's a crap shoot. You are talking about draft picks and players and moving more draft picks for different players.

won't happen.

T_R

666121[/snapback]

Very thoughtful analysis, but here is the problem in your words " here is the move that makes complete sense and watch for this on draft day"

Making sense is a rare commodity.

Most teams are chicken sh$t when it comes to making big impact deals that could be second guessed. Most teams are content to "play it safe" and make the consensus draft choice.

Another example, most coaches choose to punt on 4th down in short yardage situations even though statistical and probability analysis has shown that they should go for it far more often. It doesn't make sense, but they do it anyway.