Interesting Kirwan Article on 16 Draft Prospects

Kirwan is a snoozefest.

I hate reading his colums where he wanks on and on about chats he's had.

I play football - and I have met some guys who talk the greatest game in the world but put them in pads on a football field and, well, their talk doesn't go too far there.

Kirwan shags on and on about players he's made no effort to research or study - he's just shown up for work each week and someone handed him a phone where he talked to some people. His opinions??? Not worth a penny to me.

Wank on Kirwan, wank on...

Maybe so, but I thought his impressions of conversational style and temperament were a nice addition to all the other info out there. These certainly aren't scouting reports. But I've read a dozen of those on most of these players. It was nice hearing from someone who actually talked to them. Rounds out the picture a bit.

I'm not saying anyone should draft a particular player because Pat Kirwan liked talking to him on the phone. It was just some different info.

Kirwan is a snoozefest.

What's your opinion of the Joseph interview? It's one thing for a guy to make it sound like he's humble/hungry/whatever, but another for him to remember "everything about every opponent he faced in his four years at Oklahoma."

What's your opinion of the Joseph interview?  It's one thing for a guy to make it sound like he's humble/hungry/whatever, but another for him to remember "everything about every opponent he faced in his four years at Oklahoma."

665386[/snapback]

Sounds impressive - but honestly how much credo can you give this?? It's a bit of a so what!

Link

I'm praying that Joseph will be there at our second pick. Seems like the kind of guard just destined to be solid for 10-12 years. I feel like we could pop him in at LG and forget about it.

665333[/snapback]

I read a quote from Joseph saying that Reuben Brown was the player he'd looked up to the most in terms of offensive lineman. Hmmm, must be a closet Bills fan.

As a sleeper side note, I betcha Marv and Dick are also looking at that perenial All-Ivy leaguer Kevin Boothe and Anthony Smith.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...evinboothe.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...thonysmith.html

Forget Texas and Florida let's get some NYS players in here! :ph34r:

I read a quote from Joseph saying that Reuben Brown was the player he'd looked up to the most in terms of offensive lineman. Hmmm, must be a closet Bills fan.

As a sleeper side note, I betcha Marv and Dick are also looking at that perenial All-Ivy leaguer Kevin Boothe and Anthony Smith.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...evinboothe.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...thonysmith.html

Forget Texas and Florida let's get some NYS players in here!  :ph34r:

665601[/snapback]

I think I remember reading that Joseph is actually a big Bills fan, now that you mention it. I also like Boothe and Smith. As far as I'm concerned, Joseph could be our 2nd round pick and they could be our two thirds, and I'd be happy with almost any of the top names for Round 1.

Kirwan is a snoozefest.

I play football - and I have met some guys who talk the greatest game in the world but put them in pads on a football field and, well, their talk doesn't go too far there.

Kirwan shags on and on about players he's made no effort to research or study - he's just shown up for work each week and someone handed him a phone where he talked to some people. His opinions??? Not worth a penny to me.

665357[/snapback]

I really dont know Kirwin's judgment from Adam as I have not paid much attention to his columns. However, even though Kirwin may be an idiot in terms of the judgments about players hr makes, I think he is right on target as far as a critical element in choosing a player should be the brauntrust and team draft leader talking to the player and making a judgment as to whether he has a professional temperament in addition to having professional stats at the combine, good demogrphics for his body or glossy numbers against college competition.

The annals of the NFL are full of players from Mike Mamula (outstanding Combine showing) to Mike Williams (tremendous athleticism in a huge body) or Ryan Leaf (great college stats). In the end, none of the factors stopped these men from being busts because they did not have a professional temperament that helped them become great athletes.

Clearly, merely talking a good game does not justify selecting a player alone. However, the stats which we fans rely on too heavily must be supplemented by what I have been referring to as looking a player in the eye when you interview him.

This is merely one of the reasons why any dead lock certain pronouncements made on TSW are pretty much worth the photons they are printed on. The key assessment in this draft is actually not whether an individual player has the right stuff but whether Marv has the right stuff to manage our sprawling wolrd of scouts and player personnel guys and whether he has the judgement to choose good men rather than simply punching the clock of the next Terrel Owens.

Kirwan is a snoozefest.

665357[/snapback]

That's some class A s#it, ya limey. Well done! ("Wank on"...priceless)

I think I remember reading that Joseph is actually a big Bills fan, now that you mention it. I also like Boothe and Smith. As far as I'm concerned, Joseph could be our 2nd round pick and they could be our two thirds, and I'd be happy with almost any of the top names for Round 1.

665662[/snapback]

I'm not sure if he's a Bills fan but do know that Joseph has compared himself to Ruben Brown in TSN's draft mag this year.