Rick Gosselin's mock draft

Gosselin is usually "in the know" with the GMs. He beats Kiper and the other draftniks. Check out who he has us drafting....has me excited!

01:23 AM CDT on Sunday, April 16, 2006

In their 46-year history, the Oakland Raiders have never used a first-round draft pick on a player from the University of Texas. But then there has never been a player the caliber of Vince Young available when it came time for the Raiders to pick.

Young is easily the most scrutinized player to hit an NFL draft board this decade because he's not the prototypical pro quarterback. At 6-4, 230 pounds, he has a linebacker's size with a running back's legs and a quarterback's arm. He rushed for 1,050 yards, finished third in the NCAA in passing efficiency and took his Texas Longhorns to the national title.

But Al Davis is the league's maverick, both on the field and off, and doesn't back off from players different from the norm. So give Young to the Raiders in the first mock draft offering from the Dallas Morning News. Here's the rest of the first round:

Team Player Pos. College

1. Houston Reggie Bush HB Southern California

Bush was the best player in college football last season and has a Heisman Trophy as proof. He's the best player in this draft and likely will have the first overall pick as proof. Pencil him in today as the 2006 NFL Rookie of the Year.

2. New Orleans Matt Leinart QB Southern California

3. Tennessee Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt

4. N.Y. Jets Mario Williams DE North Carolina State

5. Green Bay A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State

6. San Francisco Vernon Davis TE Maryland

7. Oakland Vince Young QB Texas

8. Buffalo D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT Virginia :angry::angry:

If there's a run of quarterbacks at the top of the draft, as there is in this mock, an elite player is going to slide. In this case it's Ferguson, the best blocker on the board and a top-three value.

9. Detroit Michael Huff CB/S Texas

10. Arizona Haloti Ngata DT Oregon

11. St. Louis Jimmy Williams CB Virginia Tech

12. Cleveland Brodrick Bunkley DT Florida State

13. Baltimore Jonathan Joseph CB South Carolina

14. Philadelphia Ernie Sims OLB Florida State

15. Denver Manny Lawson DE North Carolina State

16. Miami Winston Justice OT Southern California

17. Minnesota Chad Greenway OLB Iowa

18. Dallas Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State

With two starting wideouts in their 30s, the Cowboys need some youth on the flank. Holmes brings big-play potential in the Terry Glenn mold, averaging 18.4 yards per catch last season.

19. San Diego Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State

20. Kansas City Tamba Hali DE Penn State

21. New England Bobby Carpenter OLB Ohio State

22. Denver Laurence Maroney HB Minnesota

23. Tampa Bay John McCargo DT North Carolina State

24. Cincinnati Donte Whitner S Ohio State

25. N.Y. Giants DeAngelo Williams HB Memphis

A run on defensive players in the teens could push the bulk of the running-back board into the 20s. Good backs like Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams could fall into the laps of good teams.

26. Chicago Tye Hill CB Clemson

27. Carolina LenDale White HB Southern California

28. Jacksonville Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State

29. N.Y. Jets Kamerion Wimbley DE Florida State

30. Indianapolis Joseph Addai HB LSU

31. Seattle Chris Chester G Oklahoma

32. Pittsburgh Jason Allen CB/S Tennessee

Gosselin is usually "in the know" with the GMs. He beats Kiper and the other draftniks. Check out who he has us drafting....has me excited!

In their 46-year history, the Oakland Raiders have never used a first-round draft pick on a player from the University of Texas. But then there has never been a player the caliber of Vince Young available when it came time for the Raiders to pick.

Young is easily the most scrutinized player to hit an NFL draft board this decade because he's not the prototypical pro quarterback. At 6-4, 230 pounds, he has a linebacker's size with a running back's legs and a quarterback's arm. He rushed for 1,050 yards, finished third in the NCAA in passing efficiency and took his Texas Longhorns to the national title.

But Al Davis is the league's maverick, both on the field and off, and doesn't back off from players different from the norm. So give Young to the Raiders in the first mock draft offering from the Dallas Morning News. Here's the rest of the first round:

Team  Player  Pos.  College 

2. New Orleans  Matt Leinart  QB  Southern California 

This is the lynchpin, and IMHO there is no way that NO takes Leinart (and pays him all the money he'll get) after signing Brees a montha nd a half ago.

Oooooo man, The Wall would damn near EXPLODE if that happened.

663695[/snapback]

He must be damaged goods, how could 'Ol Gray possible take Ferguson? Friggin ol man must have thought it was Monday fer chrissakes! :)

If by some act of God Ferguson does fall to number 8, I'm willing to bet at least one post like that.

you will find this interesting (I think):

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml

here is gosselin's "competition"!

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

I cannot believe that Leinart will fall to number 7

663688[/snapback]

Must point out that the ranking is based on the number of Top 100 players taken in the top 100, not to the specific team. Still, Gosselin is well respected. In this instance, his mouth to God's ears.

The one thing about that mock draft that I have a hard time buying is SF taking Vernon Davis with D'brick on the board.  I just don't see it happening.

663714[/snapback]

I agree Dr. but they need to put some weapons around Alex Smith also. Davis is a nice place to start.

The one thing about that mock draft that I have a hard time buying is SF taking Vernon Davis with D'brick on the board.  I just don't see it happening.

663714[/snapback]

Ditto. And I don't see GB passing up Ferguson either when O-line is a major concern for them as well.

Ditto.   And I don't see GB passing up Ferguson either when O-line is a major concern for them as well.

663786[/snapback]

The only reason I didn't mention Green Bay is because for some reason I really think that's where Hawk is going to end up. Every time I see that guy he just looks like a Packer to me. Of course that's nothing like insightful commentary, just my gut instinct about how things will play out.

This is the lynchpin, and IMHO there is no way that NO takes Leinart (and pays him all the money he'll get) after signing Brees a montha nd a half ago.

663674[/snapback]

Exactly. The only way this scenario is possible is if the Saints draft QB, and two other teams in the top 7 draft QB. I respect Gosselin but he's wrong about Leinart to New Orleans. They gave all that money to Brees and now they're going to turn around and give a bunch more to Leinart?

Team  Player  Pos.  College 

1. Houston  Reggie Bush  HB  Southern California 

Bush was the best player in college football last season and has a Heisman Trophy as proof. He's the best player in this draft and likely will have the first overall pick as proof. Pencil him in today as the 2006 NFL Rookie of the Year. 

2. New Orleans  Matt Leinart  QB  Southern California 

3. Tennessee  Jay Cutler  QB  Vanderbilt 

4. N.Y. Jets  Mario Williams  DE  North Carolina State 

5. Green Bay  A.J. Hawk  OLB  Ohio State 

6. San Francisco  Vernon Davis  TE  Maryland 

7. Oakland  Vince Young  QB  Texas 

8. Buffalo  D'Brickashaw Ferguson  OT  Virginia  :)  :D

If there's a run of quarterbacks at the top of the draft, as there is in this mock, an elite player is going to slide. In this case it's Ferguson, the best blocker on the board and a top-three value. 

9. Detroit  Michael Huff  CB/S  Texas 

10. Arizona  Haloti Ngata  DT  Oregon 

11. St. Louis  Jimmy Williams  CB  Virginia Tech 

12. Cleveland  Brodrick Bunkley  DT  Florida State 

13. Baltimore  Jonathan Joseph  CB  South Carolina 

14. Philadelphia  Ernie Sims  OLB  Florida State 

15. Denver  Manny Lawson  DE  North Carolina State 

16. Miami  Winston Justice  OT  Southern California 

17. Minnesota  Chad Greenway  OLB  Iowa 

18. Dallas  Santonio Holmes  WR  Ohio State 

With two starting wideouts in their 30s, the Cowboys need some youth on the flank. Holmes brings big-play potential in the Terry Glenn mold, averaging 18.4 yards per catch last season. 

19. San Diego  Antonio Cromartie  CB  Florida State 

20. Kansas City  Tamba Hali  DE  Penn State 

21. New England  Bobby Carpenter  OLB  Ohio State 

22. Denver  Laurence Maroney  HB  Minnesota 

23. Tampa Bay  John McCargo  DT  North Carolina State 

24. Cincinnati  Donte Whitner  S  Ohio State 

25. N.Y. Giants  DeAngelo Williams  HB  Memphis 

A run on defensive players in the teens could push the bulk of the running-back board into the 20s. Good backs like Laurence Maroney and DeAngelo Williams could fall into the laps of good teams. 

26. Chicago  Tye Hill  CB  Clemson 

27. Carolina  LenDale White  HB  Southern California 

28. Jacksonville  Ashton Youboty  CB  Ohio State 

29. N.Y. Jets  Kamerion Wimbley  DE  Florida State 

30. Indianapolis  Joseph Addai  HB  LSU 

31. Seattle  Chris Chester  G  Oklahoma 

32. Pittsburgh  Jason Allen  CB/S  Tennessee

663660[/snapback]

That would be the best case scenerio if we didn't trade with anyone.