Tricks to make a baby sleep.

The_Real

My daughter hates to sleep at night.  Anyone have a suggestion?  I mean ANYONE!!!!!!  I went to sleep at 2 last night and woke up at 2:45.  So I need some help. 

Thanks,

T_R

663555[/snapback]

Both my son and daughter slept through from about 6 weeks and my wife was (is) all about routine. Unless they are ill, stick to a plan. For the first month or so they (most infants) need to be fed, changed, etc. through the night so you cannot escape that but when they settle in, stick to a routine. For what it is worth, my sister gave us a Fisher Price music play/water-thingy that hangs on the crib and it seems to sooth my son when he wakes in the night. He just touches the button and it plays for about 10 minutes. It took very little time before he could restart it himself - probably at 8 weeks or something. Anyway, he likes that quite a bit. Hope it helps.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 5 boys with # 6 on the way all under 7. First, definitely, don't keep a totally silent house. TV or radio on, etc ...then they sleep thru whatever, including siblings running and tearing through the house. Few babies sleep thru the night until about 3 months old, so don't count on it till then (of course babies can't read calendars, so this is approximate.) Breastfed babies eat approx. every 2 hours, bottlefed approx every 4 hours. THe nurses at the hospital probably already did their part to try to start you on this schedule. Swaddling is great for many babies (wrapping up in the blankets like they did in the hospital) bc many babies "jerk" and startle themselves awake when sleeping. For me, getting up during the night was never a super problem as I'm a night owl. My suggestion: feed them in front of the tv with the lights low in a recliner (or armchair). Unfortunately, I often drift off to sleep with baby finishing bottle and drifting off too, wake up stiff and carefully try to put baby back into basinette, etc, baby wakes up and says "hey, it's about 4 hrs later...a bottle would be a great idea". My husband usually jokes that after the baby's born, he'll see me in about 3 months when they start sleeping thru the night. The dryer and sweeper never worked for me. Holding them swaddled horizontally (like when you're feeding them, with head in one crook of arm, other hand patting/rubbing their bottom end repeating softly "sh-sh-sh" while jiggling them rhythmically) works for crying during the day. Holding them and taking your hand and stroking with your finger from forehead down bridge of nose keeps making them close their eyes and often works. ONe of our boys fought sleep something terrible and wouldn't go to sleep unless you put a face diaper or blanket over their head so they couldn't look around. I swear by a pacifier, but you have to train your baby to use one...don't assume just because they don't just pick it up in their hand and start chewing on day one that they won't use one. A soft face diaper or blanket between face and hand to feel works great. Or putting them down with diaper/blanket/stuffed animal that's been next to you so it "smells" like you works. Many babies don't like big spaces and won't sleep well in a huge crib (block off part of the space). It's not socially acceptable today, but some babies do better on their tummies (pacifier in mouth protects against SIDS). If your baby is getting closer to 3 months and you don't roll around alot when sleeping, pick them up and cuddle them in bed with you. Sometimes being warm and cosy, they'll decide to sleep a couple extra hours, but I don't roll around when I sleep. (No, you don't have problems with the kid in bed forever. They seem to have a built in "I need my own space" thing about 6-8 months or so where they just want to be laid down to stretch out and go to sleep. Schedule is important, I"ll agree. Good luck! Incidentally, don't believe the old wives' tales about feeding the baby cereal, more milk, etc will fill them up so they sleep longer. Babies have stomachs the size of their fist and can only hold so much, plus can't swallow cereal that young, can't digest it well, etc. and cereal clogs up bottle nipple holes. Plus whatever you put in will come out the other end...meaning too many ounces means wet diaper faster, or will barf it up, etc. There really are no short cuts. Just hang in there. Enjoy the bonding time and cuddling.

You wanted to have fun in bed! <_<;)

Now you will never sleep in it... :lol::lol:

But, seriously... I always lived by the rule: "Sleep when they sleep... Be up when they are up."

It really helped me not being on a set schedule and working a swing shift... I could actually follow the rule above... Not so good I guess if you gotta be up in the morning... :D:(