Bills interested in Dwight Smith

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9376416/2

One team in need of safety help interested in Smith is Buffalo. The Bills released veteran Lawyer Milloy, and he signed with Atlanta. That leaves Coy Wire and Matt Bowen battling to fill his job. They're not exactly the two swiftest players, so Smith, who runs better than both of those players, makes sense. Smith played well for the Saints last year, his first with the team. He can tackle, and as a former corner, he has quality cover skills. Getting him would be a good move for the Bills.

One team in need of safety help interested in Smith is Buffalo. The Bills released veteran Lawyer Milloy, and he signed with Atlanta. That leaves Coy Wire and Matt Bowen battling to fill his job. They're not exactly the two swiftest players, so Smith, who runs better than both of those players, makes sense. Smith played well for the Saints last year, his first with the team. He can tackle, and as a former corner, he has quality cover skills. Getting him would be a good move for the Bills.

662720[/snapback]

Smith fits the mold of the type Player Levy and Jauron are trying to build this Team with...27 Years Old and 14 INT's in the past 4 Years. Played on that Great TB Defense and kinda got lost in New Orleans last Year. I think this would be a nice move and I imagine the Contract without the SB is affordable...

I'd give up a 3rd or 4th for Smith in a heartbeat... :huh:

He's a nice player, but I'd not want to give up either of the 3rd round picks--maybe consider trading the 4th round pick we got for EM for him, 'tho.

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 66 (rank 69th among S)

Alert: B

Comment:

Has impressive strength and has the ability to push receivers around and take them out of their routes. He's aggressive, physical and confident. Has shown the ability to make plays from sideline-to-sideline and generally gets a good read on the ball. Has just adequate range but is generally in position to make the play due to excellent read-and-react skills. However, Smith has had some trouble in space at times. He needs to work on his technique particularly when defending the deep half. Will take some false steps and has a tendency to cross his feet over. Will be overaggressive at times, which often prohibits him from adjusting to the ball.

Would any one be happy if the Bills traded out of the 8th spot and picked up a third to use to get Smith?

662741[/snapback]

I'd sooner keep that extra 3rd this year & give them something in 2007 (like I said above)

4th might be a bit optimistic.  The Patsies gave up a 4th for CB Duane Starks last offseason and his leg fell off.

662776[/snapback]

except duane starks has been done since he left baltimore in 2001. Dwight Smith is still rather productive and only 28 years old to starks 32

662720[/snapback]

Your link is to a story about underated guys in the draft not anything about Dwight Smith. Though Smith be a good pick up not sure the Saints move him with them losing out to the offer sheet they offered to Cowboys RFA Keith Davis. That said I would likely do for one of our 5ths or possibly 4th depending who's there on draft day.

Your link is to a story about underated guys in the draft not anything about Dwight Smith. Though Smith be a good pick up not sure the Saints move him with them losing out to the offer sheet they offered to Cowboys RFA Keith Davis. That said I would likely do for one of our 5ths or possibly 4th depending who's there on draft day.

662888[/snapback]

Next time scroll down....

Around the League

----Even before the Saints signed Dallas safety Keith Davis to a two-year offer sheet as a restricted free agent, they were shopping safety Dwight Smith around the league. Word is they're asking for a third-round pick for Smith, who was signed last yeas as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay. The Saints are also shopping linebacker Courtney Watson for a draft pick. Watson was a 2004 pick of the previous coaching regime. The Saints already traded tackle Wayne Gandy last week to the Falcons for safety Byron Scott, who has been a disappointment in Atlanta. Gandy will start at left tackle for the Falcons, but there was a reason the Saints let him go. Both he and guard Kendall Jacox, a starter last year, were refusing to take part in the team's off-season workouts, which is why they were allowed to leave. The rash of Saints news makes two things quite clear: New coach Sean Payton wants his guys on the roster and he isn't going to tolerate players not buying into his program.

---One team in need of safety help interested in Smith is Buffalo. The Bills released veteran Lawyer Milloy, and he signed with Atlanta. That leaves Coy Wire and Matt Bowen battling to fill his job. They're not exactly the two swiftest players, so Smith, who runs better than both of those players, makes sense. Smith played well for the Saints last year, his first with the team. He can tackle, and as a former corner, he has quality cover skills. Getting him would be a good move for the Bills.

This could end up a draft day trade.

If when we get to pick(#8), all that's left of the prime talent is QBs & Huff & we can trade down, I say we make the deal & trade down.

If we cannot trade down....take Huff?