Anyone else sick of being beholdent...

SDS

That wasn't the only reason -- he listed other reasons (strike, steroids, etc), that was just another straw on the camel's back.

I'm a huge BIlls fan myself, but I'm getting sick of the whole "money" aspect of the game as well.  Just play.  I don't want to hear about stadiums, revenue sharing, money over cap, etc.  If I was interested in these things, I'd read the Wall Street Journal.  And I'd say that, because of all of these things (in addition to the EXTREMELY negative attitude most threads on here have), I don't follow the Bills as closely as I did just a few years ago.  It's natural.

CW

657112[/snapback]

Thanks Fez. Anyway, yeah, for years the Pirates were threatening to leave out of Pittsburgh. And honestly, people in the Burgh got sick of it. I remember what was supposed to be the last game for the Buccos. Last game for Jimmy Leyland. The Pirates were supposedly all but gone. And, in a great sports city like Pittsburgh, and with a franchise with a long tradition of winning, only about 10,000 fans showed up for that supposed "last game". People got sick of it. The strike effected it, and then so did the talk of moving, and of all the money. Well, alot of people stepped in, built PNC Park, and a new owner bought the Bucs and the rest is history. Now, though, the effect of the new stadium has worn off, and the Pirates are floundering again. No one cares. The game's fan base is pathetic.

Has anyone been to a baseball game lately? Outside of a few MLB cities, teams have to beg people to come to games with promotions. I would honestly say that less half of the people in the stands don't even pay attention to the games or know what's going on. It's pretty sad. The passion in most cities are gone.

Now, if the NFL goes the route of baseball, it will die a slow death in some cities too. Ticket prices are too high for many people to just blindly throw money away on a team that loses year after year. The threatening will continue and the sport will fade away in a lot of places.

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Kansas City used to be great baseball towns. The franchises used to win, and win alot. Now, no one barely cares that the teams are even there. They have to rely on promotions, kids, and new ballparks to even get people there. The die-hards in MOST MLB cities are gone.

It's a shame, I just hope it doesn't happen to the Bills! Just seems though, that it very well may be, and I think that's sad.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just becoming apathetic (as opposed to pathetic) in my older age, but we have been talking about the Bills moving for so long that enough is enough. I'm sick of this tired played out scene straight from the Deer Hunter where every few years we hear "click!" and the chamber spins again.

I'm already fed up with Directv and the rising cost of the NFLST, their "SuperFan" bull sh--, commercials before and after every TD, PAT, and KO, and superstar athletes who actually think they're worth more than a warm pint of urine.

Somehow I want to see this resolved... not delayed - RESOLVED.  Hit the bullseye or get it off our effing backs already.

I'm probably too old to shed a tear over a sport these days, but if this plays out with Buffalo losing the Bills, God forbid I bump into Danny Snyder at a Nats "Free Bat" promotion game...  :angry:GT

656654[/snapback]

AMEN!

I also am getting....................I really do support what I think you are doing, but man I do get a little sick and tired of the lies you seem to be spinning to create a sense of panic which will lead to you ripping folks off on my and our behalf.

656971[/snapback]

Jeezie Pete....now that was one mean bag of wind.......What the heck was your point, I kept falling asleep trying to read your version of "War and Peace"...

(trim it down....trim it down....)

Now back to sleep.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know the talk is irritating, but the pirates are still in pittsburgh, no? So he gave up on a team that never moved, but hit on hard times. Sounds like a fairweather fan more than a jaded one.

657107[/snapback]

LMAO

When's the last time the Pirates were ANYWHERE near competitive? I don't fault any Schittburgh Pirates fan for jumping off that rickety bandwagon.

Not going to repeat what has been said here. This thread pretty much expressed all my thoughts so no need to retype. Suffice to say that I too have been disgruntled with the NFL in general. Not just over this current situation with the Bills. My interest in the NFL has been slowly eroding ever since they started moving teams around like the Colts, Browns, Rams and so on. For me, it comprimised the integrity and stability of the league. The history was violated forever. IF the Bills were to move I believe it would be the final blow to my attachment to the league. The more I watch what is going on in the pro sports world the more I appreciate the NHL. Yes it does have problems of its own. In a way its fine that it is the least popular of the major sports. It keeps the owners, players hungry and motivated to please the fans and not take advantage of them like the NFL does. The players are approachable and generally fan friendly. The NFL doesnt give a **** about their fans except how much more they can get out thier bank account. I know its a capitalist society and they are certainly entitled to get what they can. However there is a limit and ceiling to everything and hopefully the NFL is reaching that point. The point where they are too expensive and too saturated with advertising and promotion. The NFL on tv is almost unwatchable for me. This became apparent to me when I realized that most of the time im only watching the NFL because of my involvment in fantasy pools. I find myself more entertained by watching the local high school(De La Salle) on the cable access channel than the NFL.

Has anyone been to a baseball game lately?  Outside of a few MLB cities, teams have to beg people to come to games with promotions.  I would honestly say that less half of the people in the stands don't even pay attention to the games or know what's going on.  It's pretty sad.  The passion in most cities are gone. 

657354[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I watch Baseball and am a fan of the Jays, and they only game they had a big crowd for was the home opener. After that, they have been lucky to attract a crowd of larger then 15,000 to a game and the bottom level is only about a 1/4 filled. Toronto made a big mistake going for the massive stadium cause they can no longer fill it. This is also the year that they did what every bills fan wished we were doing, sign a bunch of big name free agents (and even overpayed some of them).

The problem with baseball is the strike, the steriod allegations (and use), and the Billionaire owers who spend as much as possible to bring in the big names and feed off the small market teams who take the time to develop the young players and lose them when they want to cash in on their big payday in FA.

This is whats happening in Football right now. Teams like Buffalo, who soon will not be able to spend to the cap limit, will rely on the draft to bring in future stars, develop them, and have them leave in FA to a huge payday. Its like having a minor league system built into the actual league.

LMAO

When's the last time the Pirates were ANYWHERE near competitive? I don't fault any Schittburgh Pirates fan for jumping off that rickety bandwagon.

657474[/snapback]

IIRC, they fell apart after their '90 Series run. The had some very good clubs in the 4 or so years before that - Bonds, Bonilla, LaValierre, Van Slyke, Drabek, Smiley, Rhoden, DeLeon etc. I lived there '78 - end of '89. They barely sold out their Series winner in '79.

PGH is all about the Steelers... ;)

Bonds and Bonilla leaving the Pirates killed that team...they survived Bonilla and had one more kick at the can...The Pirates were a great team to watch back then...young stars..Bonilla, Bonds, Van Slyke, Jay Bell...nice charachter guys...Chico Lind, Spanky Lavilliere, Steve Buechele, an Ace SP..Doug Drabek...and the ugliest 1-2 SP combo in league history...Zane SMith and Bob Walk..Free agency decimated this team after 3 NLCS losses...Baseball in Pittsburgh has never been the same...I still rememner, sitting in my dorm room in 1992..Binghamton U..waiting to get World Series Tix, when that POS Francisco Cabrera knocked in the slowest man in league history..Sid Bream...

Bonds and Bonilla leaving the Pirates killed that team...they survived Bonilla and had one more kick at the can...The Pirates were a great team to watch back then...young stars..Bonilla, Bonds, Van Slyke, Jay Bell...nice charachter guys...Chico Lind, Spanky Lavilliere, Steve Buechele, an Ace SP..Doug Drabek...and the ugliest 1-2 SP combo in league history...Zane SMith and Bob Walk..Free agency decimated this team after 3 NLCS losses...Baseball in Pittsburgh has never been the same...I still rememner, sitting in my dorm room in 1992..Binghamton U..waiting to get World Series Tix, when that POS Francisco Cabrera knocked in the slowest man in league history..Sid Bream...

657715[/snapback]

Letting Sid Bream go cost them....IIRC he went to ATL and he knocked the Pirates out.

Forgot about Walk. ;)

I always liked Rick "Big Daddy" Reuschel..he was quite fast, and pich-ran from time to time. and Rhoden - a master at doctoring the ball.

Forgot about Jose Lind...what a 2nd baseman, and I was a fan of Rafael Belliard at SS, too.

LMAO

657474[/snapback]

Ahh the true mark of a good fan...the times get tough, so jump off the bandwagon!