Bald Eagles are everywhere

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bald Eagles have returned to the Allegheny River Valley, I saw one two days ago, and a separate one this morning.  :lol:

It is nice to see they are making a comback.

Who else has seen them and where?

649964[/snapback]

You can find them many places in central FL. They used to nest and hang out in an area around Sanford I used to drive through.

Bald Eagles have returned to the Allegheny River Valley, I saw one two days ago, and a separate one this morning.  :lol:

It is nice to see they are making a comback.

Who else has seen them and where?

649964[/snapback]

i see them where i go fishing, which is about 4 hours north from here. i saw like 5 last summer.

Didn't I read that they were close to being pulled from the endangered species list?

If so, nice comeback.

650029[/snapback]

Only "threatened" now

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/fr95580.html

Ole' Ben Franklin much preferred the turkey as the national bird

http://html.clickondetroit.com/sh/holidays...113-135438.html

The eagle is the "welfare" client of the avain world

I saw one in Lowell, MA about 6 weeks ago. The one I saw was an immature, so he didn't yet have his white head, but you knew it was an eagle because it was WAY too big to be a hawk. When I saw him I pulled over, got out of the car and got a nice look at him - looked to be about 2 years old based on his coloring.

I grew up in Va and used to go to a Summer Camp in Surry,Va (don't know if thats spelled right). There was a bald eagle that had a nest about 20 feet up in a tree that was right on the Chesapeake Bay, it was massive...one of the coolest animals I've ever seen in the wild.

In Louisiana, Missouri (don't ever go there it will remind you of the movie Deliverance) they have a gathering of Bald Eagles every spring. There is a small damn that is let down every spring....as the fish go over the damn they become stunned and briefly rise to the surface of the water. All types of birds of prey go there to feed on the fish. I was out there about 5 years ago and there were 3 Bald Eagles feeding at once...Pretty rare.

Really cool animal, glad to see there numbers are increasing again.

A fellow told me this morning how a bald eagle took out a mallard duck on his pond in the country.

It is always interesting to talk to writers. He wrote this:

My Father's Cabin

650150[/snapback]

Good read? Can't tell you how many times I've almost snagged that book off the 'local interest' shelf at the bookstore... maybe next time I'll hang onto it.

Speaking of locals, ever chat with Mason Winfield? Fascinating, although his books make me want to sleep with the lights on...