MYOPIA

vegas55

:unsure: Bill's fan and Buffalo press our consistent if anything in their myopia about the "potential" of players. It's always the guy who hasn't actually played that is the answer to the Bill's woes. The latest example is Duke Preston, who has lately been touted in the press as a player the coaches "really like" and a guy who will step in as a solid starter this year. Reality check - he could not beat out Trey teague last year; and could not even beat out Bennie Anderson, who may have had the worst year of any O lineman in the league. It's not unheard of at all for a rookie O lineman to start in his first year, but the Duke could not win a starting spot on a horrible line. And as an added commentary on his ability, the Bills throw a good sum of money at Fowler, which says no center position for Duke this year. And his inability to supplant Bennie A last year says tons about his potential at the guard position.

:unsure:  Bill's fan and Buffalo press our consistent if anything in their myopia about the "potential" of players. It's always the guy who hasn't actually played that is the answer to the Bill's woes. The latest example is Duke Preston, who has lately been touted in the press as a player the coaches "really like" and a guy who will step in as a solid starter this year. Reality check - he could not beat out Trey teague last year; and could not even beat out Bennie Anderson, who may have had the worst year of any O lineman in the league. It's not unheard of at all for a rookie O lineman to start in his first year, but the Duke could not win a starting spot on a horrible line. And as an added commentary on his ability, the Bills throw a good sum of money at Fowler, which says no center position for Duke this year. And his inability to supplant Bennie A last year says tons about his potential at the guard position.

645004[/snapback]

Concur but it is asking a lot for a rookie to step in and play when he is surrounded by suspect talent. I expect Duke to be a backup center and guard. New Engalnd seems to be able to find players but I have no faith in TD's offensive line draft picks. (Jennings, Marcus whatever, Mike Williams, Pucillo, Sobieski, McFarland, and now Duke and Geisinger).

Concur but it is asking a lot for a rookie to step in and play when he is surrounded by suspect talent.  I expect Duke to be a  backup center and guard.  New Engalnd seems to be able to find players but I have no faith in TD's offensive line draft picks.  (Jennings, Marcus whatever, Mike Williams, Pucillo, Sobieski, McFarland, and now Duke and Geisinger).

645058[/snapback]

To credit the devil he did make a good pick for Jennings and was right for letting him go to a crap team for that much money. and FYI Marcus Price was a journeyman FA that TD picked that i wish he would have retained last year as it would have given us flexibility with gandy and putting that tub of lard named anderson of the lineup

To credit the devil he did make a good pick for Jennings and was right for letting him go to a crap team for that much money. and FYI Marcus Price was a journeyman FA that TD picked that i wish he would have retained last year as it would have given us flexibility with gandy and putting that tub of lard named anderson of the lineup

645171[/snapback]

Price was injured and if I recall correctly did not play ball for anyone last year.

Price was injured and if I recall correctly did not play ball for anyone last year.

645175[/snapback]

I couldn't find anything about him being injured... he was on the dallas cowgirls last year. it looks like he just sat behind flozell adams :unsure: (poor guy)

Vegas, well said. The one question mark I have is the possible politics surrounding the Donahoe regime. I have a gut feeling that playing time might have been influenced by the political desires of Tom Donahoe and not necessarily based on the merits of certain players. In the few snaps that Preston received he didn't look any worse than Anderson or Teague. I believe Donahoe was so desperate to win "now" that rookies lost playing time as a result. The company line all of last year was "we have the talent" we just need to come together; I frankly believe the "talent" line was nothing but a bill of goods that Donahoe was trying to sell people because of the poor job he did in putting the roster together.

:unsure:  Bill's fan and Buffalo press our consistent if anything in their myopia about the "potential" of players. It's always the guy who hasn't actually played that is the answer to the Bill's woes. The latest example is Duke Preston, who has lately been touted in the press as a player the coaches "really like" and a guy who will step in as a solid starter this year. Reality check - he could not beat out Trey teague last year; and could not even beat out Bennie Anderson, who may have had the worst year of any O lineman in the league. It's not unheard of at all for a rookie O lineman to start in his first year, but the Duke could not win a starting spot on a horrible line. And as an added commentary on his ability, the Bills throw a good sum of money at Fowler, which says no center position for Duke this year. And his inability to supplant Bennie A last year says tons about his potential at the guard position.

645004[/snapback]

Well, I could be wrong, but isn't it the center who is responsible for most line calls in the league? If the offense gets to the line of scrimmage and there needs to be a change in blocking assignments, then the center is responsible to call it out. It could be that Preston has the physical tools, work ethic and the intangibles to succeed but only lacks the experience. I would really like to see him get more playing time under his belt before judged too sharply. Maybe his technique is what the Bills staff likes and the rest will come along with more time spent in the trenchs.

Signed,

Duke Preston's Personal Advisor

645171[/snapback]

Your right, Jennings was a good pick. For "Marcus whatever" I was trying to think of Marques Sullivan, another of TD's insightful draft picks. Remember him? Another guy that was given a job and really didn't want it. B-)

TD's OL free agents were Trey Teague, Price, Villareal and Big Bennie but lets not forget Kris Farris :doh: , Cory Hulsey, Bill Conaty and Ross Tucker.

I agree with your asessment of Marcus Price, he was a good backup. We should have kept him and Ross Tucker last year.

That some rookie could not "beat out" a 7 figure vet means what...

Come on, people, get a clue. The old brass was going to play Bennie and Teague regardless last year. Hopefully Jauron will actually try to put Duke and Geisinger on the field this year.

Keith Bulluck sat on the pine for two years in Tenn. Was he a bust who could not beat out Barron Wortham? Or was a he a stud who should have played but did not.

Coaches make errors. They are not perfect. The Pack cut Kurt Warner as a rookie... Man, was he a BUST or WHAT???

Duke Preston

645004[/snapback]

Secretly, I believe he doesn't actually exist. He's an imaginary friend, much like that M*A*S*H episode from years back with the imaginary Capt. Tuttle.

" Anyone see Duke ? "

" He's in the trainers room. Hurry if you wish to catch him ! " ( Wink,wink )

I couldn't find anything about him being injured... he was on the dallas cowgirls last year. it looks like he just sat behind flozell adams  B-) (poor guy)

645178[/snapback]

He got picked up mid-year after Adams went down with a knee. He was insurance against the back-up going down.

I couldn't find anything about him being injured... he was on the dallas cowgirls last year. it looks like he just sat behind flozell adams  B-) (poor guy)

645178[/snapback]

Price wasnt brought back because he lacks these 2 little things called functioning knees.

Wanna look at horrible myopia? Check out what people expect out of Mike Williams on his new team.

B-)  Bill's fan and Buffalo press our consistent if anything in their myopia about the "potential" of players. It's always the guy who hasn't actually played that is the answer to the Bill's woes. The latest example is Duke Preston, who has lately been touted in the press as a player the coaches "really like" and a guy who will step in as a solid starter this year. Reality check - he could not beat out Trey teague last year; and could not even beat out Bennie Anderson, who may have had the worst year of any O lineman in the league. It's not unheard of at all for a rookie O lineman to start in his first year, but the Duke could not win a starting spot on a horrible line. And as an added commentary on his ability, the Bills throw a good sum of money at Fowler, which says no center position for Duke this year. And his inability to supplant Bennie A last year says tons about his potential at the guard position.

645004[/snapback]