Anyone ever experience Little League like this?

jayg

Article

:unsure:

644944[/snapback]

Offical "Little League" has had the two inning rule for eons. At least since I was first starting playing at 8, in 71. Rule then was two innings in field, one at bat for every player.

And thank god for that, or else i woulda never seen the field that first year.But dam, ya gotta keep score!!!!!!!!

Offical "Little League" has had the two inning rule for eons. At least since I was first starting playing at 8, in 71. Rule then was two innings in field, one at bat for every player.

And thank god for that, or else i woulda never seen the field that first year.But dam, ya gotta keep score!!!!!!!!

644972[/snapback]

Weird, we never did that. Coaches would find a way to get most of the kids on the field somewhere along the line, because it was the decent thing to do - but I don't remember any specific rule. Either that or I sucked so bad no one told me about it.

But, in the spirit of the thought, old grumpy me thinks this country has gotten seriously pussified.

This country has become uncomfortably pc it's scary.   Why are parents hiding the "bad side" of losing?   It's a reality they won't be able to cope with later in life.  

Sorry, but those rules are just plain wrong!

645003[/snapback]

I think we've generally been pretty successful, overall as a Nation because virtually everyone involved in making it one had to be a tough son of a B word. Now that things have gotten comfortable, the same kinds of ethics and ideals, not to mention learning processes have been either watered down or removed entirely. Life isn't all about "being OK". Sometimes life truly sucks, things are unfair and often the bad guy wins. To avoid that, "we" used to try to change the conditions responsible. Now, someone somewhere generally makes excuses for them and the flow continues on. I have nothing against progress. At the same time, I don't think becoming a nation of flabby milquetoasts is progress. Unfortunately, a lot of the rest of the world is perfectly willing to do what it takes to win.

Freely accepting losing, or eliminating the possibility of it is not IMO helping anyone learn anything.

In our youth hockey league down here, a single player is only allowed to score a maximum of 3 goals a game. Anything after that is not counted. It supposed to encourage more team play, but the rule applies all the way up to the 17u league.

Freakin communists.

Damn, I couldn't even finish reading that story. We played it the real way. If we got our asses handed to us 15-0 we understood that it happens. I remember as if it were yesterday, we had a runner on third. The coach had me step out of batter's box as the pitcher went into his "windup" to make him commit a balk. I think that's the only way we were able to score that game. I played catcher and got bowled over several times. Damn, what a bunch of pussies we're raising. No wonder TSW is full of whiners who can't handle the fact that the Bills suck. Someone has to suck, they all can't win....so might as well be us huh?

Never played the game like that. Homeruns were rare but awesome to witness. Except for one kid on the opposing team who would crush the ball, he was a freak 11yr 6ft 170lb. and played catcher and would guard homeplate with a vengence. Any player on my team running for home went feet first otherwise he knock your teeth in the dirt.

Never played the game like that. Homeruns were rare but awesome to witness. Except for one kid on the opposing team who would crush the ball, he was a freak 11yr 6ft 170lb. and played catcher and would guard homeplate with a vengence. Any player on my team running for home went feet first otherwise he knock your teeth  in the dirt.

645035[/snapback]

Lucky him. I was probably two feet shorter and 100lbs lighter. They all came at me head first. I got to know the other team real well because I found myself in their dugout quite often. But guess what, I very rarely dropped the ball. :unsure:

"When I was a child, if a kid stunk at baseball he was relegated to manager or deep, deep left field. "

Kinda weird. When I played, the crappy players were put in right field, not left field.

"When I was a child, if a kid stunk at baseball he was relegated to manager or deep, deep left field. "

Kinda weird. When I played, the crappy players were put in right field, not left field.

645053[/snapback]

I always wondered about that "out in left field" phrase too. You could catch some serious z's in right.

644972[/snapback]

Ditto.

The rest is absolute crap, though. Mark my words: before the decade's out, we'll see some sort of "four pitch" rule where strikeouts are outlawed and if the batter doesn't get a hit in four pitches, he takes first because "striking out" would damage poor little Ethan Tyler's psyche. :unsure: We're turning into a nation of pussified Ed clones.

Ditto.

The rest is absolute crap, though.  Mark my words: before the decade's out, we'll see some sort of "four pitch" rule where strikeouts are outlawed and if the batter doesn't get a hit in four pitches, he takes first because "striking out" would damage poor little Ethan Tyler's psyche.  :unsure:  We're turning into a nation of pussified Ed clones.

645060[/snapback]

What are all the rabid sports fans going to do a few years down the road when players don't have any drive or sense of urgency to win anything?

Oh...wait...

Never mind.

What are all the rabid sports fans going to do a few years down the road when players don't have any drive or sense of urgency to win anything?

Oh...wait...

Never mind.

645066[/snapback]

This trend is so stupid. The kids that aren't so good, we say, if you feel bad losing, don't worry we will change the rules so there doesn't have to be any real compitition.

To the better kids, we say, don't really do your best because your competitors are emotionally fragile and if you do your best they may feel bad.

It is a game for christsakes. The game itself is a reward - win or lose. These kids aren't outside doing yardwork, mowing grass, working in the family store, they are playing a godamned game and the most important thing has become to teach them that this game is so powerful it can hurt your feelings, so we aren't really going to let you play the game, we are going to play a modified game so your feelings are never hurt. :P:unsure:

What is wrong with this country?

Doesn't suprise me, soccer Moms have taken over where equal participation rules and it is all for fun. Some of this crap is brought on by nut job dads over dooing it. Still there is a balance and this is nuts. Is this state wide?

I wasn't a good fielder so they moved me to pitcher. Then I found out I was better a soccer because I could run, never looked back and in the winter played p/U hockey whenever I could on ice or in the street, didn't matter. But we always kept score. Got beat many times till I got better and administered the beatings.

Nothing wrong with competition, if there are not enough teams to let all the kids play, make more teams and spread out the talent...but keep score. Even the good kids learn to help out less abled kids and adjust. It is called team play. Hell at 7 abilities will all change in 3-10 years. So what?

not keeping score at a very young age doesn't bother me... they should be learning skills anyway. There will (should) be plenty of time for true game competition when they get older. You can "play to win" w/o actually keeping score (i.e. try your hardest to score and prevent them from scoring).

However, fundamentally changing the rules is utter bull sh--. A HR is just that - a HR. It is not a double. It is part of the skill set they should be learning. You can get everyone involved and still play "baseball" by it's fundamental rules.

One gripe that I have is the awarding of trophies for participating on a team. When I was in little league the only way to get a trophy was for your team to win the championship. Now every kid gets a trophy for participating. This happens in little league baseball, soccer, hockey, etc.

My son (16) and daughter (13) each have a room full of trophies. My son plays on a travel hockey team (ages 15-16) and they even gave out participation trophies. Plus if they go to a tournament they get a trophy or medal for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place even if there are only 4 teams playing.

:unsure:

at the banquet the swim team i coach for is having this year, EVERY kid gets a trophy...reasoning according to one of the parents planning it "we want every kid to go home feeling good about themselves"

i can think of many that don't deserve squat and need to re-evaluate their own character...(btw, i'm not some stone cold dick...i don't have a problem if a kid stinks up the joint due to lack of talent as long as he/she works hard...in fact, they're usually some of my favorite as i admire their work ethic)

another thing i'm noticing these days is that if a coach criticizes a kid or kicks him out of practice for being disruptive or rude, the parents get on the coach's case rather than disciplining their own child...if i'd gotten out of line with my coaches when i was a kid, i know there was going to be some sh*t going down for me when i got home

i think many parents (not all, there are alot of great parents and kids on the team...you can tell who they are as these kids are near direct representations of how their parents are) are now using sports as a way to

1. live vicariously through their kids and fulfill things they didn't do themselves when they were young

and

2. get them out of their hair for a few hours

what they forget is that training, being part of a team and competition prepares them for obstacles they may encounter later in life as an adult...

alot of these kids are going to have problems