All the talk is about drafting O-Lineman

Granted, we all know the Bills OL needs work and has been a huge focal point this offseason, as well as the DT position.

But what about the Linebackers?

Fletcher- He is not getting younger, still very good, but for how much longer?

Spikes- Heart of a lion, but will reality overtake his heart and will he ever be the same? Achillies injuries are so hard to overcome

Posey- Have never been a big fan, we need an upgrade here.

I highly doubt that AJ Hawk would ever slip to #8 in the draft, but are there LB's that would be available in the 2nd or 3rd round that would be a big help?

Discuss

I highly agree, If we can I'd take a day one LB. however I think Crowell is going to be a special player, at MLB. A player I like from Virginia, is Kai Parham in the third, if we get an additional pick. He has the size to play LOLB. Posey is a Bust, I wish that we could have addressed OLB in Free agency, but we didn't.

IMO, its easier to find LBs than O-linemen. There seems to less of a learning curve for the position and they have shorter careers (and hence, higher turnover), just like their RB counterparts on offense.

That said, I agree that our LBs are getting older and it would be great to add a high-quality youngster to the group. But I wouldn't want to go with Hawk at #8 and would rather trade down for extra picks if the draft shakes out that way.

I highly agree, If we can I'd take a day one LB.  however I think Crowell is going to be a special player, at MLB.  A player I like from Virginia, is Kai Parham in the third, if we get an additional pick.  He has the size to play LOLB.  Posey is a Bust, I wish that we could have addressed OLB in Free agency, but we didn't.

641643[/snapback]

Priorities!

Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell, Haggan can play.

Gandy, Anderson, Villarrial can't and Williams and Teague can't play either but are gone.

Granted, we all know the Bills OL needs work and has been a huge focal point this offseason, as well as the DT position.

Discuss

641628[/snapback]

I hope Marv knows this - Posey blows!

I will say it again. We need to take the best talent available in the draft looking for contributions over the next five years. If all things are equal (as they are in later rounds) fill the trenches, but at #8 we need the best football player we can get based on five years, not just next year (anywhere but QB and RB). If that is Hawk, take Hawk. If that is Davis, take Davis. If that is a trench position like Brick, Ngata, or Bunkley, or Williams, take that player, and all the better for addressing a need more directly as well.

But we need the guys who are way better than me making those calls, and getting the best guy available. Needs change year after year, and are better filled in free agency.

Draft choices have longer impacts, and you need to get the best players, people who will help win the 2010 super bowl, not help get to 8-8 in 2006.

I feel that Linebackers are often a product of the system. Joey Porter had a big year this year, but Pittsburgh always has a linebacker having a big year (levon Kirkland, Chad Brown, Kevin Greene). When we played a 3-4 we always had Linebackers with killer stats(Bennett, Talley, Paup). I love TKO he is my favorite Bill, but I think Reality is that the DT make a 4-3 linebacker, while the DE makes a 3-4 backer. While they should consider drafting a LB, you can get by on athletic linebackers who can run. Ray Lewis had his biggest years when Sam Adams, and Tony Siragusa where in front of him. Urlacher had his best years when Ted Washington and (the DT from KC and Denver cant remember his name) where in front of him. Obviously if it is a truly gifted LB like Seau who I feel was great no matter what then you go get him, but on a team with this many needs the difference in quality(especially this year with the depth at linebacker in the draft) between a third and fifth round linebacker is far less then a 3rd and fifth round O-Lineman. I feel the same way about RBs as well. I would never draft a RB in the first round when so many Quality backs can be had latter in the draft. This is just my opinion and understand that exceptions to the rule exist and others may disagree but it is just my thoughts.

Spikes- Heart of a lion, but will reality overtake his heart and will he ever be the same? Achillies injuries are so hard to overcome

I highly doubt that AJ Hawk would ever slip to #8 in the draft, but are there LB's that would be available in the 2nd or 3rd round that would be a big help?

Discuss

641628[/snapback]

Right now the Bills have tallent at LB. It may be aged but it wil have to do for now. The O-line has nothing. You have a project in Peters and not much else. The Bills fumbled big time by not being a bigger player in the O-Line free agent market. There is a chance they can get at least one starter in the Draft. Even if the draft pick panned out it would leave the Bills with only one good lineman. :lol:

Discuss

641628[/snapback]

Spikes will be fine, Fletcher is still a very good LB.

im not to high on posey, but i think he will get cut, and his replacement is already on the roster.

Spikes will be fine, Fletcher is still a very good LB.

im not to high on posey, but i think he will get cut, and his replacement is already on the roster.

642034[/snapback]

Who is going to keep the gaurds and fullback off Fletcher. He is going to get worn out really quick.

Discuss

641628[/snapback]

Are you under the impression that it is as easy to draft blockers as linebackers?

It is not, and the Bills are in desperate need of blockers.

I do agree that there is need at LB as well, but it is far less drastic.

did u not read.......

we have crowell- he played for tko last yr.....

calm down people

642368[/snapback]

Is Crowell moving to tackle?

Unless the Bills address the interior part of the defensive line, linebackers won't be able to make the plays because they don't have the size needed upfront to eat up blockers.

Tripplett right now is their best tackle. The problem is you can account for him in the offensive scheme with one on one blocking. Unlike Adams and Williams who would eat up multiple blockers freeing up Fletcher and others to get to the ball carrier untouched. :P

a lot of depth at LB in this year's draft.

i say we grab big men, and a safety if one falls to us lower than we think he should be, and then a LB who also falls to us

8 or 9 picks (trading moulds, perhaps trading down) should get us 4 - 6 or so big men and about 3 other guys

I highly agree, If we can I'd take a day one LB.  however I think Crowell is going to be a special player, at MLB.  A player I like from Virginia, is Kai Parham in the third, if we get an additional pick.  He has the size to play LOLB.  Posey is a Bust, I wish that we could have addressed OLB in Free agency, but we didn't.

641643[/snapback]

Posey isn't a bust, he's just a nice player. No one other than Bills fans expected him to have 15 sacks and 120 tackles. We paid a moderate price for a serviceable OLB. He's been average to above average his whole time here, just not acceptional. I've liked alot of what he does aside from the pass coverage on backs coming out of the backfield but there aren't many lb's that can play pass much better.

Linebackers covering Big n fast Tight Ends or Running backs is a miss match on any team in the NFL right now. Antonio Gates, Algi Crumpler, Tony Gonzalez are a few guys off the top of my head but production through the position is very high right now in the NFL.

He's not going to the Pro bowl but he isn't chopped liver either.

The_Real