Is Marv a good evaluator of talent?

beerme1

I'm wondering about this issue given that two teams have matched our offers. Apparently they weren't bad offers as they were matched.

I'm giving Marv some benefit here which is tough because I am in the camp that believes,

We Are Doomed :doh:

He convinced Bill P to take Shane Conlan. That worked out pretty good I would say. Same with Thurman.

640054[/snapback]

He didn't convince Polian to take Conlan.

Polian had to convince Marv that Conlan would still be there after they traded down with Cleveland.

Marv has an aversion to trading on draft day.

I'm wondering about this issue given that two teams have matched our offers. Apparently they weren't bad offers as they were matched.

I'm giving Marv some benefit here which is tough because I am in the camp that believes,

We Are Doomed  :doh:

640045[/snapback]

In Wells' case. his comments after signing the offer sheet sure made it sound like he wanted to stay in Arizona all along.

If I was Marv, I would have rescinded the offer and made a statement that I'm only interested in players that really want to be here. But I'm just a 9 to 5 hack.

Perhaps Marv knew that Wells was just using Buffalo as leverage and made the offer that he did accordingly.

I seem to remember that there was a major argument between Marv and Butler over Moulds versus McElroy back in 1996. Does anyone remember which side of the argument that Marv was on? My recollection is that Kelly begged for a WR. That would mean that either...

1. Kelly went over Marv's head to side with Butler

or...

2. Kelly joined forces with Marv to hammer it home to convince Butler to yield.

Does anyone remember? I know it was just one situation, but it would give a good example of where either Marv was dead on (for wanting Moulds) or dead wrong (for wanting McElroy).

Does anyone remember? I know it was just one situation, but it would give a good example of where either Marv was dead on (for wanting Moulds) or dead wrong (for wanting McElroy).

640091[/snapback]

I don't think it was an arguement. As I recall prior to the draft that Butler commented that if McElroy was available with our pick we were sure to take him. Though instead we took Moulds.

I seem to remember that there was a major argument between Marv and Butler over Moulds versus McElroy back in 1996. Does anyone remember which side of the argument that Marv was on? My recollection is that Kelly begged for a WR. That would mean that either...

1. Kelly went over Marv's head to side with Butler

or...

2. Kelly joined forces with Marv to hammer it home to convince Butler to yield.

640091[/snapback]

Levy wanted Moulds, Butler wantd McElroy. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you dont....thats life

Levy wanted Moulds, Butler wantd McElroy. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you dont....thats life

640231[/snapback]

http://www.cswstats.com/samples/data/1Z9.txt

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...tml?page=2(read this one Marv gives us optimism ooops didnt he retire instead abanding the bills sinking ship?)

Im not sure how good of an evaluator of talent Marv is. I loved him as the coach of our great team in the 90's. However, the most painful thing about Marv that has sat with me for a long time is this. After Marv failed at starting Todd Collins alex vanpelt and Billy joe herbert on the season he realized he was in over his head and retired at the end of the season. Can he judge QBS dont know he was given a lucky charm with Jim Kelly for 11 years. JIm ran the offense, Jim was the QB. Now hes being tested by bringing in NAll we will see.

I don't think it was an arguement. As I recall prior to the draft that Butler commented that if McElroy was available with our pick we were sure to take him. Though instead we took Moulds.

640110[/snapback]

Actually, what John Butler said before the draft was to the effect that "if McElroy is available when we pick, I will dance a jig!"

So maybe that was just blowing smoke on JB's part.

Or maybe he danced the jig, then they picked Moulds...

Hopefully there will be scouts explaining to marv why the helmets are not leather, and what the face mask does, let alone who to pick. Marv would have served us better as the President, and not GM, While I think he is inspirational, he may not be the best judge of talent. But we'll see.

Marv would have served us better as the President, and not GM, While I think he is inspirational, he may not be the best judge of talent.  But we'll see.

640395[/snapback]

Being that Marv actually coached some really good NFL players, he should be a damn sight better than Donahoe at judging whether a player has what it takes to be good in the NFL.