Maurice Morris, Melvin Fowler visit today

Lurker

Per the BN. Anybody seen them play?

Maurice Morris, a fourth-year free-agent running back from Seattle, came to Buffalo Monday to make a visit with the Bills.

Morris is a 5-foot-10, 202-pound back who was a second-round draft choice in 2002 out of the University of Oregon. He rushed for 288 yards on 71 carries, a 4.1-yard average, for Seattle in 2005. He has seen limited spot duty as a backup to Shaun Alexander, the NFL's most valuable player, the past four years.

Also visiting was Melvin Fowler, a fourth-year veteran center who saw considerable action as a starter last season for Minnesota. Fowler was a third-round pick of Cleveland's in 2002.

That is awesome. Now this is a guy who can push Willis for a starting job. He was a very good back in relief for Alexander and he is a very good receiver out of the backfield. This would be a great signing if the Bills could nab him. Willis definately wouldn't be relaxed like he would if it was just Shaud back there.

Just made a post about it. I don't know anythign about Fowler but Morris is someone that CAN push Willis. He is a very good back when given the opportunity. I would love it if we could sign him. Very quick but has some power.

637213[/snapback]

Agree. Morris is probably one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He is a solid backup for who i believe to be an overrated Alexander. He is a guy who will get the tough yards. Having him and Willis we could really be a tough 1-2 punch.And it is someone who can pucs Willis' lazy a--.

Anyone know anything about Fowler?

I found this, which does not seem that promising:

Biography:

2004 - Cleveland:

Melvin Fowler is an underappreciated and miscast player early in his career. Fowler plays well in a short area when he can put his hands on a defensive tackle. Will battle and finish off blocks, but does not play overly well in space. Not overly quick or strong, Fowler is a fundamentally sound center, but lacks the agility to get to the second line of defense consistently.

How Acquired: 2002 NFL Draft, Third Round, 76th Overall

Pro Experience

Cleveland Browns (2002-Present)

2003: Started season at left guard, but lost his job as the team moved Paul Zukauskas into the starting lineup and moved Shaun O'Hara to LG... Wound up starting seven games at center due to injuries to Jeff Faine... Played several games on special teams, and was inactive for two games... Started at center against Bengals, when Browns amassed over 250 rushing yards.

2002: Made one start, against Tampa Bay, filling in for an injured Dave Wohlabaugh... Inactive for 12 games, did not play in three others.

College Experience

Maryland (1997-2001)

Appeared in 44 games for Maryland over four years, starting all of them... All-American and All-ACC first team his senior year... Never allowed a sack in college career... Was lynchpin of offensive line for Maryland offense that averaged 439.7 yards per game in 2001... Named All-ACC his junior year... Named second-team All-ACC as sophomore... Named Freshman All-American in 1998... Won starting job after practicing at center less than two weeks... Was red-shirted in 1997.

2002 - Cleveland:

Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, Andre Gurode, LeCharles Bentley. These are a few names Browns fans had been talking about for the offensive line. But one name that never, ever came up did so in the third round: Melvin Fowler, Jr. A first-team All-American at Maryland, Fowler was widely rated as the second-best center in the draft. For Cleveland, Fowler figures to replace incumbent Dave Wohlabaugh in 2003 or even slide over to guard.

At 6’ 2” and 300 pounds, Fowler is a quick, intelligent lineman with good athleticism. He’s a good second level blocker, able to shift and contain rushing linebackers and stunting tackles. But like Wohly before him, Fowler won’t be driving

Seems like a guy who could come in and back up Preston at center.

Here's an interesting article on Morris. Sounds good, but I wonder how any RB would fair behind the Seahawks O-line.

Morris might get a full-time role next season

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune

Published: February 2nd, 2006 02:30 AM

DEARBORN, Mich. – Joe Tafoya rested his head on the table to get a few winks. Maurice Morris took a seat on the floor, the better to stretch his lower back. Niko Koutouvides sat quietly in his chair. The hotel ballroom buzzed around these and other largely overlooked Seattle Seahawks as hundreds of reporters played favorites during a massive media session Wednesday.

One of these role players might be needed Sunday in Super Bowl XL. The Seahawks’ season has proven as much. The team earned its first Super Bowl berth in part because lesser-known players replaced injured starters.

Sean Locklear, Leroy Hill, Marquand Manuel and Joe Jurevicius became productive starters when injuries felled Floyd Womack, Jamie Sharper, Ken Hamlin, Darrell Jackson and Bobby Engram.

And when a concussion knocked MVP running back Shaun Alexander from a divisional playoff game against Washington, Morris proved to be more effective. He carried 18 times for 49 yards after the Redskins held Alexander to 9 yards on six carries.

Morris’ case is different from the others because he entered the league as a high draft choice. A second-round pick from Oregon in 2002, he has done nothing to disappoint. The team simply hasn’t needed him much because Alexander has been the NFL’s most productive runner.

“With this offensive line, :devil: (how about the Bills?) I think Maurice would put up some astronomical numbers both in the receiving and the rushing area if he was given the opportunity,” running backs coach Stump Mitchell said.

Morris might get that chance next season.

Like Alexander, he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. “It’s going to be an interesting offseason for me as well as a lot of guys on the team,” Morris said. “You just hopefully get a chance to have an opportunity.”

Unlike Alexander, Morris hasn’t had to update his résumé much since leaving college. But at least he’s healthy. “I haven’t taken a beating,” Morris said. “I’m just like an experienced rookie.”

Morris has 171 carries for 806 yards and one touchdown in four seasons. He also has 21 catches for 158 yards and a touchdown.

“With Maurice, you’re talking about a guy who is good catching the ball out of the backfield, that is going to carry the ball probably 17 times but he is going to have anywhere from five to seven receptions, which will bring his total to about 22 touches a game,” Mitchell projected. “I think Maurice is that type of guy.

“Unfortunately for him, he has been stuck behind Shaun.”

Here's another article on Morris. It makes me think he's just using the Bills as leverage to get a better offer from the Vikes, who could really offer him more playing time as well.

I have to wonder why a guy who was stuck behind Alexander would consider a situation where he'd again be #2 on the depth chart, rather than having a shot at being the starter (like in Minny).

I think for him to come to Buffalo, the Bills will have to use a run first type offence. McGahee usually gets better the more carries he has so you want him to have the ball 25-30 times a game, and giving Morris 17 and 5-7 catches is alot of running plays. It could work if moulds is released, to take the pressure off of our receivers cause the defences would have to stay on their toes expecting the run.

Here's another article on Morris.  It makes me think he's just using the Bills as leverage to get a better offer from the Vikes, who could really offer him more playing time as well. 

I have to wonder why a guy who was stuck behind Alexander would consider a situation where he'd again be #2 on the depth chart, rather than having a shot at being the starter (like in Minny).

637247[/snapback]

To go back to the QB discussion, remember that Jauron said that no one is being handed the starting job. If he signs, he will be given a chance to compete with McGahee. It's up to him to decide whether he thinks he can beat McGahee out for the starting job. Granted, it is less open than Minny, but the opportunity is there.

Agree. Morris is probably one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He is a solid backup for who i believe to be an overrated Alexander. He is a guy who will get the tough yards. Having him and Willis we could really be a tough 1-2 punch.And it is someone who can pucs Willis' lazy a--.

637226[/snapback]

After seeing Mo Morris for 5 years (college and pro) living on the west coast, I think he's a nice player and would add good depth. It seems like the trend is to have 2 no.1 quality RBs on the roster. I think it would be a good sign.

Also, I have to ask the question...how can a guy who's always at the top in yardage and just set the record for rushing TDs be overrated??? His stock takes a little hit this year with the loss of Hutch, but up until this year he has been underrated because of guys like LT and Priest.

Fowler was an absolute DISASTER last year.  Let's put it this way, he couldn't cut it on the Vikings' o-line (or the Browns', before that).  Don't waste your time, Marv.

637230[/snapback]

Didn't he come in as a starter about the same time as Brad Johnson just when Minny started to win?

I'm not flaming but just wondering why you considered him a disaster.

To go back to the QB discussion, remember that Jauron said that no one is being handed the starting job.  If he signs, he will be given a chance to compete with McGahee.  It's up to him to decide whether he thinks he can beat McGahee out for the starting job.  Granted, it is less open than Minny, but the opportunity is there.

637256[/snapback]

Competition is great, but we can't keep allocating $$$ to the QB and RB postions just so the "better man" can win, without putting anything toward upgrading the O-line. And I can't see Marv wanting to push aside two #1 draft choices so quickly without having set foot on the field in 2006.

To go back to the QB discussion, remember that Jauron said that no one is being handed the starting job.  If he signs, he will be given a chance to compete with McGahee.  It's up to him to decide whether he thinks he can beat McGahee out for the starting job.  Granted, it is less open than Minny, but the opportunity is there.

637256[/snapback]

I disagree with one thing...with the signing of Chester for good money, the Vikes may be less inclined to give Mo a decent shot at starting.

The Vikes also have Melwalde Moore as well.

Buffalo may be Morris' best fit. Because there is Willis and thats it. Shaud is not a reliable option if Willis went down. Plus Shaud doesnt threaten Willis at all. When Willis was at his best, he had Henry breathing down his neck. I don't think its a big suprise that his production went down when Henry left. He needs to be pushed.

The Vikes also have Melwalde Moore as well.

Buffalo may be Morris' best fit. Because there is Willis and thats it. Shaud is not a reliable option if Willis went down. Plus Shaud doesnt threaten Willis at all. When Willis was at his best, he had Henry breathing down his neck. I don't think its a big suprise that his production went down when Henry left. He needs to be pushed.

637302[/snapback]

I think you're absolutely right about that. Plus Willis was a little nicked up last year. That always scares me after the injury he had!

Competition is great, but we can't keep allocating $$$ to the QB and RB postions just so the "better man" can win, without putting anything toward upgrading the O-line.  And I can't see Marv wanting to push aside two #1 draft choices so quickly without having set foot on the field in 2006.

637275[/snapback]

Did you see how much Nall signed for? It wasn't like we threw $6M/year at him. Some people look at the chance to start as being a higher motivator than tons of $$$, knowing that if the starting job comes, so will the $$$. Are you content with Shaud Williams as the #2 back?

Marv and Dick are looking to improve this football team. By bringing in quality guys to compete at a reasonable price you aren't "pushing aside" two #1 picks, you are challenging said #1 picks to be their best. If the #1 pick (which weren't Marv's, so he has no sentimental attachment) can't beat out a "value" free agent, why do you continue to throw money at them? Losman needs to prove he's a starting QB. I think adding Nall to the equation makes the challenge adequate. McGahee has to get serious about the game, that's the knock against him. He has tremendous talent and the ability to be the best but he needs to be pushed...