2006 Bills = 2006 Sleeper team

Well, they might have the huge contracts, or the big names but what they do have is youth. This means, less injuries and harder working guys, but what this also means is more penalties (most Likely). Hopefully Marv is going to pull a few tricks out from under his sleeves, like a big name QB. Losman, is clearly not ready, and Kelly, although a average QB he is no superstar. What we need is a spark, thats why i think Vince young could be a great edition, or any of the other top draft QB's for that matter. Another option, is a guy like Matt Schaub!

While I hope you are right... (been a fan since 1965)but in the words of my favorite basketball player of all-time, Bill Russell, " Youth don't mean #!@$". What we are lacking are difference makers. What we are also lacking is an offensive line that can create a hole bigger than a crack in a sidewalk. Until this is remedied, we are just a team that looks like a bye on our 2006 opponents schedule. And it upsets me to say that. Thanks !

Well, they might have the huge contracts, or the big names but what they do have is youth.  This means, less injuries and harder working guys, but what this also means is more penalties (most Likely).  Hopefully Marv is going to pull a few tricks out from under his sleeves, like a big name QB.  Losman, is clearly not ready, and Kelly, although a average QB he is no superstar.  What we need is a spark, thats why i think Vince young could be a great edition, or any of the other top draft QB's for that matter.  Another option, is a guy like Matt Schaub!

635717[/snapback]

vince young? are you serious? so jp losman, a guy who sat for one year learning, then starting the majority of his second year, isnt ready, but a JUNIOR college quarterback who's best attribute is his running abilty and no nfl experience let alone 4 YEARS IN COLLEGE is more ready? man i just got dumber reading this.

Vince Young took on the best football team in college history, pretty much on his own and won. JP was spoon fed the play book and still had no composure at all. Vince young is a playmaker and JP is a Slug, hands down. Get two more OL boys, and the Buffalo's will be stampeading in no time, and I guarentee JP wont be driving. ( JP = Rob Johnson/Todd Collins )

I agree we are a 2006 sleeper team... Most of us will be sleeping by halftime

the Bills have a few yeas of rebuilding. the fact that we are bringing in FA's with youth and upside gives us a stong signal that the Bills are rebuilding. rebuilding teams don't normally make 180 degree turn arounds in one season.

Bills cant afford Losman as a failure. They cant afford to spend a first round pick on a qb. They need linemen. Db's and so on. Losman has to suceed this season. Bills have to make that gamble on him and hope he comes around. If he flops, we have to start thinking of picking up a decent free agent qb the next season to try to win.

Bills cant afford Losman as a failure. They cant afford to spend a first round pick on a qb. They need linemen. Db's and so on. Losman has to suceed this season. Bills have to make that gamble on him and hope he comes around. If he flops, we have to start thinking of picking up a decent free agent qb the next season to try to win.

635884[/snapback]

Amen !!!!!

635884[/snapback]

Exactly. Put the pieces to the puzzle around JP; if he flops then sign a free agent QB to come in and leads us to paydirt when we are only have a few spots to field. But on a team with many holes to fill and no high expectations, why cut a young Qb who was traded for 2 years ago who has only 8 starts and draft a QB who has the same physical skills as Losman? I mean in 2004 JP was the Cutler of that draft as he had the strongest arm and was one of the faster QB's. Now after 8 start's we should give up on the kid and start this process all over? I say we build this team for the next year or two and at the same time give JP enough starts to make a valid decision.

the jp question comes down to the current FO's evaluatin of him.

if they think he is crap in practice, if they think he hasn't broken any bad habits, if they think he is too injury prone, or if they think he just isn't a quality player then they have good reason to ditch him.

the fan's argument of he has only played 8 games only holds water if he has shown ability to play well in practice. if he hasn't then hey may well be a total bust and someone the bills have to replace

Bills cant afford Losman as a failure.

635884[/snapback]

They couldn't afford Mike Williams as a failure either, yet he's no longer with the team. The Bills need to base their evaluation of Losman strictly on what he himself has shown, and not on draft status, the team's wish to avoid drafting a QB early, etc. If Losman isn't the answer--which seems likely enough--there's no sense in blinding ourselves to reality.

Well, they might have the huge contracts, or the big names but what they do have is youth.  This means, less injuries and harder working guys, but what this also means is more penalties (most Likely).  Hopefully Marv is going to pull a few tricks out from under his sleeves, like a big name QB.  Losman, is clearly not ready, and Kelly, although a average QB he is no superstar.  What we need is a spark, thats why i think Vince young could be a great edition, or any of the other top draft QB's for that matter.  Another option, is a guy like Matt Schaub!

635717[/snapback]

Yeah!

Say hi to the tooth fairy next time you see her too.

They couldn't afford Mike Williams as a failure either, yet he's no longer with the team. The Bills need to base their evaluation of Losman strictly on what he himself has shown, and not on draft status, the team's wish to avoid drafting a QB early, etc. If Losman isn't the answer--which seems likely enough--there's no sense in blinding ourselves to reality.

637083[/snapback]

Right, but Mike Williams got a chance to play. We have too much invested in JP (and too many other holes) to try to replace him now with a quick fix for the coming season. Give him 16 starts and decide next off season. Meanwhile build the rest of the team. You would be amazed what no Mularkey, a decent OL, and more Willis could do for JPL, but if we are wrong, we can change course next year, with a stronger team ready to help whoever is next (draft or free agent) take us to the playoffs more quickly.

Over the last two years, I would say that the best players on the defense were:

Fletcher

Spikes

Clements

Milloy

Adams

Schobel

P.Williams

The rest are at best average though obviously, McGee is a great return man.

Milloy, Adams and Williams are gone. Spikes is coming off a major injury. I'm not encouraged about the prospects for this defense.

As for the offense, it has been worse than bad and there is little reason to think it is on the verge of a major turn around. The QB position is, at best, "unsettled" and the line is pretty much the same bunch, minus Williams, that was so awful last year. The WR corps is likely to lose its best player in Moulds. For a long time that offense has been where Offensive Coordinators go to die.

I'm not encouraged about the prospects for this offense either.

What we have is solid play on special teams, a few good linebackers and a few good skill position players (Evans, Clements, Willis, McGee) and that is about it.

Right, but Mike Williams got a chance to play.  We have too much invested in JP (and too many other holes) to try to replace him now with a quick fix for the coming season.  Give him 16 starts and decide next off season.  Meanwhile build the rest of the team.  You would be amazed what no Mularkey, a decent OL, and more Willis could do for JPL, but if we are wrong, we can change course next year, with a stronger team ready to help whoever is next (draft or free agent) take us to the playoffs more quickly.

637133[/snapback]

In economics terms, the investment in Losman is a "sunk cost." Economists agree that sunk costs should be ignored, because they're in the past and there's nothing you can do to change them.

Obviously, TD saw enough from Losman in college that he thought the guy deserved the type of chance to develop first round picks usually get. Going over that same college film, Levy needs to decide if he agrees with TD's assessment. If he does, then he should give Losman the same three year minimum development period you'd typically give a first round QB. (This is year 3.) But if Levy came to a different conclusion--perhaps that Losman belonged in the 3rd round just based on college play--then you have to think of him as a 3rd round pick.

635717[/snapback]

Name a big name QB that "made a big name" behind a line like ours?

Just one.