Levy on the verge of destroying his legacy.

What Marv does (or dosen't) do as a GM should count towards his legacy. The early signs are that Marv is way over head in this.

He has yet to sign one player that makes this team better then they were last season. Then again, if you were a Free Agent why would you come pay for the Levy led Bills? The only players signed are those just happy to have a job.

This team was said to have Cap room. Then the Cap was increased. It appears that Marv is either unwilling (more likely unable) to do anything with it.

The saddest thing? Is that in a year and half or two years when Levy gets fired or forced to step down? We will then have a 93 year old clueless owner out there trying to hire another GM.

I hope Golisano plans on buying the Bills. Looking at what he has done with the Sabres? I think he can save this once proud franchise and save it from this downward spiral.  :devil:

634343[/snapback]

I am pretty darn sure by cutting Danahoe and firing Bullarkey we made this team a hell of a lot better than it has been in the past 5 years. Now tell me what Marv hasnt brought to the table?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty darn sure by cutting Danahoe and firing Bullarkey we made this team a hell of a lot better than it has been in the past 5 years. Now tell me what Marv hasnt brought to the table?

634509[/snapback]

Another thing to take note with is that the players we the fans desperately wanted to add to our roster signed with other teams for an average of 7 mill a year.

Inexperienced fans make the mistake and look at our cap and see we are 16 mil under but do not look at this years free agents AND tentative free agents next season and do not take into consideration a rookie cap that must be available by July.

At the start of free agency we had 16 rfa/ufa and released players to replace 7 players via draft and 9 players via free agency not to mention players the want to upgrade via free agency. So no break it down 16 players 16 mil thats an average of 1 mil per player. We are not going to pay evry player 1 mil some will get 500k and other wil get 3 mil at most this team cannot afford any big star named players this season. Which is another reason Moulds needs to be cut for the 5.3 this year and 5mil next.

But Marv is picking up blue collar players these are players that will work hard to play and i see nothing wrong with what hes doing. Sorry no of the signings makes the Post starter giddy about his team but over all the team is improving.

Plus lets look at the teams that spend alot of money on players -Oak-no playoffs in how many years. Washington 1st playoff last year in how many years hes been buying players before he realized it was the coaching. Thats just to point out 2 but the fact is not how much you pay the player but how well the TEAM plays as a WHOLE. Im not very optimistic Im realistic about next season 7-9 but its a positive building session instead of the Hype that surrounded TD and his F/A and drafts 5 years of beeing let down we cant be let down this upcoming year we can only be impressed if the do anything good at all. Plus I d rather be good for the next 5-10 years than for next year only!!!!!

What Marv does (or dosen't) do as a GM should count towards his legacy. The early signs are that Marv is way over head in this.

He has yet to sign one player that makes this team better then they were last season. Then again, if you were a Free Agent why would you come pay for the Levy led Bills? The only players signed are those just happy to have a job.

This team was said to have Cap room. Then the Cap was increased. It appears that Marv is either unwilling (more likely unable) to do anything with it.

The saddest thing? Is that in a year and half or two years when Levy gets fired or forced to step down? We will then have a 93 year old clueless owner out there trying to hire another GM.

I hope Golisano plans on buying the Bills. Looking at what he has done with the Sabres? I think he can save this once proud franchise and save it from this downward spiral.  :devil:

634343[/snapback]

Well, mr. awake (I'm sure you're just a new login for an existing user) remember how great our offseason was in 2002-03? Spikes, Adams, and then Milloy...? What good did it do us? How far did that offseason bonanza take us? Everyone was having a football orgasm after that 31-0 victory over the pats, who had done NOTHING in free agency except bring in a few no-names and role players.

The Bills sank and missed the playoffs and the Pats won the super bowl.

So far this year, the pats only signing is Reche Caldwell. They're letting their longtime stars go. They're even letting viniatieri, who has won so many clutch games for them, walk.

And you're complaining about the offseason that marv is having in it's 2nd week? Milloy deserved to be cut because the guy never made any fuggin plays. Adams deserved to be cut because he never gave consistent effort.

Marv is going to fix the offensive line. They have a plan, and it's going to take more than 2 weeks to execute it. Thankfully, they don't have whining, knee-jerking, impatient wannabe armchair GMs barking in their ear. Only we do.

634343[/snapback]

Let me get this lahjik straight...Marv is blowing it because he has not signed anyone and everyone? ;)

You know there is more to free agency than the first couple of weeks? It's called being pragmatic and not blowing your money on one or two players when you can grab multiple players who will fill various roles. Don't forget to throw in the well known fact there will also be more players available after the June 1st cut date. But we're still supposed to believe Marv is blowing it? :)

Then there is this little thing called a draft to help fill some holes and prepare for the future of the club.

You're right Marv is in over his head :angry:

634343[/snapback]

Legacies are funny, it was not that long ago that I was in lot 1 listening to fan after fan tell me that Marv had to go. The game had passed him by. His ten years was up. Funny how folks don't remember these things.

My response: Be careful what you wish for, Marv was dragging the team down with his woeful offensive coaching hirings, but he had already promised Wade Phillips that he would be the successor to get him to sign on as DC after he FINALLY had the ballz to fire that POS Walt Corey. Phillips was a proven middle of the road coach, who was succeeded by Mike Shanahan in Denver who then quicky took the Broncos from mediocre to great. That happened while Phillips was in Buffalo and should have been a cue to the Bills that Wade wasn't a very good HC.

In essence, Wade was Marv's hand picked successor, and his first head coaching hire. How did Ol' Gomer work out? Handled that Flutie/Johnson thing GREAT. How did Bresnahan and Shoffner work out as OC's for Marv? Bottom line, Marv wasn't exactly the greatest evaluator of coaches to start with, so anyone who thinks that Marv has a clean slate when it comes to hiring coaches, think again.

As for his moves in FA, he has done squat. Sorry folks, but Larry Triplett for Sam Adams and Justin Bannan is a net loss. One could argue that Triplett wasn't much of an upgrade over Bannan even. Robert Royal for Mark Campbell? That's not going to make a difference in the W-L column folks. Andre Davis? He has some talent, but no production whatsoever. So far, Marv has done jackschitt but hire another proven failure HC, and suffer a serious net loss of talent while taking over a team that won all of 5 games and ranked near the bottom of the league in offense and defense.

But if you guys want to cut him some slack, that's fine, but tell me this, where are you going to stand when this team plays up to it's lack of coaching and talent and finishes 2-14? ;):)

You need to be careful about you wish for ......... IMHO ..... Golisano is a business man, he will do what is necessary to make a profit (that's not a knock on him ... that's what businessmen are supposed to do). Western New York just can not support a team to the level of the "high rollers" in the league. Look at ticket prices around the NFL ....... look at parking fees ....... look at the consessions local governments are willing (and able) to offer the owners to stay in the city.

Ralph is "old school". While he owned the club, the Bills have never moved to greener pastures simply because the Buffalo Bills were from Buffalo. He considered the team as something permanent, a monument, as it were, that he has built, NOT a nomadic money making machine. Ralph has embraced Buffalo even though it was his third choice for a location to build a team (his first being Detroit, second Miami).

For everyone clamoring for a "new breed" of owner ......... hopefully we don't get one that expects any significant return on their 600 - 800 Million dollar investment.

You mean like he's done with the Sabres?

Well, since I posted that I've seen a lot of mocks with the Steelers taking him with the last pick in the first round, but its definitely within the realm of possibility that if he makes it past them, he'll land with us.  However, if he doesnt get to our early 2nd round pick, I'd substitute Mangold with the best available guard, whether that be Joseph (who I love...he's also versatile which is a huge plus on our craptacular O-Line) or Giles, and then I'd change the Lutui pick to the best available tackle to help strengthen the O-Line.

I figure I'll update my draft at the beginning of April to compensate for any Bills signings...no need to draft a young QB like Gradowski if the Bills sign a young QB like Nall.

634494[/snapback]

I was thinking that since the Jets let Mawae go, their in the need for a center. Unless they have plans to move Kendall there. Why are they picking third in the 2nd round. Might be a dumb question but I don't get it.

Well, mr. awake (I'm sure you're just a new login for an existing user) remember how great our offseason was in 2002-03? Spikes, Adams, and then Milloy...? What good did it do us? How far did that offseason bonanza take us? Everyone was having a football orgasm after that 31-0 victory over the pats, who had done NOTHING in free agency except bring in a few no-names and role players.

The Bills sank and missed the playoffs and the Pats won the super bowl.

So far this year, the pats only signing is Reche Caldwell. They're letting their longtime stars go. They're even letting viniatieri, who has won so many clutch games for them, walk.

And you're complaining about the offseason that marv is having in it's 2nd week? Milloy deserved to be cut because the guy never made any fuggin plays. Adams deserved to be cut because he never gave consistent effort.

Marv is going to fix the offensive line. They have a plan, and it's going to take more than 2 weeks to execute it. Thankfully, they don't have whining, knee-jerking, impatient wannabe armchair GMs barking in their ear. Only we do.

634566[/snapback]

The Bills failures in 2003 had nothing to do with the defense, where all the big moves were made. The D played excellent football. However, the offseason wasn't great because Donahoe destroyed the offense. The Bills lost Peerless Price, Jay Riemersma and Larry Centers, 3 of the top 4 receiving threats on a pass driven offense. It would have helped if Reed hadn't turned to dogschitt over night and Moulds hadn't gotten hurt, but letting those guys go and bringing in f'ing Bobby Shaw and Mark Campbell.....please. But hey, we got Willis McGahee out of that Price trade, so it was a good offseason, right? :devil:

Way to early to say that Marv is over his head!

634357[/snapback]

Sure. It's always too early to show common sense on this board. Marv Van Winkle and Ralph are out of touch with a sporting man's game. This is a game of youth, power and intensity. These fosils are kidding themselves and us they are up for the task.

i didn't read any of the posts after the first one. Why? Who the f**k are all these newbies with their let's jump off a cliff mentality. Can someone please tell me how many games the Bills have won since Marv has become GM? I remember how i thought the Sabres would suck cuz they only tweaked the team a little bit, and tonight I will be watching them beat Ottawa and taking over first place in the Northeast division. I don't expect everyone to blindly follow what marv does but at least give the guy a chance, cuz its not like TD brought much to the table. Stop bitching and moaning over what a GM does. There's a reason he's where he is and a reason we're not.

You mean like he's done with the Sabres?

634605[/snapback]

Different sport ........ different situation. Where as any number of cities would be falling all over themselves to woo an NFL team, where the fans can afford $150 tickets, and $50 parking, and sell out millions of dollars worth of luxury boxes, and provide big local TV/radio monies, and millions of local government "fringes".

Hockey just doesn't have the same panache .......... as a matter of fact, after the latest work stoppage, interest in hockey outside of the cities where each team plays is marginal at best.

i didn't read any of the posts after the first one. Why? Who the f**k are all these newbies with their let's jump off a cliff mentality. Can someone please tell me how many games the Bills have won since Marv has become GM? I remember how i thought the Sabres would suck cuz they only tweaked the team a little bit, and tonight I will be watching them beat Ottawa and taking over first place in the Northeast division. I don't expect everyone to blindly follow what marv does but at least give the guy a chance, cuz its not like TD brought much to the table. Stop bitching and moaning over what a GM does. There's a reason he's where he is and a reason we're not.

634666[/snapback]

You are right. Marv is here and we are not. Why? Because he's Ralphs friend. Not any football related reason. Good thing Ralph's hairdresser didn;t have his ear.

As far TD? You just showed you have no idea what your talking about. Tom D came to the Bills in a time where they were 20 million over the cap, the two best players were UFA's and they had two crap QB's making over 10 million. But I guess you forgot all that.

What else did he do?

He turned Peerless Price (who played himself out of the NFL) who was an UFA into a first round pick which they used for Willis.

Sighed Spikes, Adams and Mallory. All of which made Bills fans wet themselves.

Brought in Bledsoe when they had nothing at QB at the time.

Drafted Evans, McGee and Schobel (46 sacks in 80 games).

I suggest many of you spend sometme and look over the history. :devil:

How do you know?  What qualifies you to make these statements?  What is your legacy. 

Triplett is an upgrade over Edwards, Bannan, and most likely Adams too.  Then he made run at Pickett.  Picket was too costly for a team with so many needs.

Royal is an upgrade over Campbell, you will see.  Gibbs wanted to keep him.  Is he old and stupid too?

Davis could be one heck of a find if he stays healthy. 

Marv just made a very creative move on an offer for Wells.  This kid is a player and not even in his prime.  If we don't get him we have also been talking to Neal.

He took a shot at Fabini.  It didn't work, big deal

He still has cap room for a few more players.  He is making lots of moves for roster depth ... all teams do that.

We still have the draft and the summer cuts.  I'm betting by the end of August we have a younger and more talented roster than last years. 

What miracles do you want?  Quit discriminating against age.  Open your mind and give the man a chance.

634400[/snapback]

I get the feeling that this current period of free agency is more of shoring up the depth chart than anything as well as casting off some dead timber. In surgery, we'd call this debridement :devil: of the wound. Go the Octagenarian ;)

:devil:

some "fans" are of the same Buffalo mentality that drove Marv out of town the first time, not to mention others who did not deserve it. I am sick of this "bufflo" mentality. Negative, begging to lose. You have never seen anything positive in your lives. what a sad existence.