Joey D-Troit?

Squeally

What about bringing in Joey to compete for a QB position after he is released? I don't think any QB is in a position to succeed with Millen calling the shots and driving that bus right off the cliff! I think he still has great potential and needs to be in a new environment. Just a thought to open up some dialog...

I have no aversion to increasing the competition for what I see as the Bills' biggest weakness, QB. I have no idea what kind of contract Harrington would be expecting though. I also have questions as to his state of mind after the mess in Detroit.

Something to consider about this is that given Juaron's time in Detroit, he probably has a good feel for what Harrington can do. So whether the Bills decide to express an interest in Joey or not, we can at least assume that the decision was well-informed.

If he can be brought in for the right price I don't see why not. Lets take a look at the QB situation:

- Kelly Holcomb is serviceable but we are not going to win a championship on his arm.

- It is too early to give up on JP, but I think that his play this year should provide us with some insight as to whether or not he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. I am not saying that he has to make the Pro Bowl but if he does not show much improvement it might be time to look elsewhere. (We also need to get him some OL help)

-Joey Harrington reminds of Tim Couch, both the supposed best QBs of their respective draft classes. Both on horrible teams. Couch never really got a second chance to start, though many teams looked at him. Harrington needs to someplace where he can compete for the starting job and show that he has something to prove. He could push JP amd vice versa.

What do we have to lose. I would rather have him than Holcomb. No offense to Kelly, but he just isn't the answer.

I have no aversion to increasing the competition for what I see as the Bills' biggest weakness, QB.  I have no idea what kind of contract Harrington would be expecting though.  I also have questions as to his state of mind after the mess in Detroit. 

Something to consider about this is that given Juaron's time in Detroit, he probably has a good feel for what Harrington can do.  So whether the Bills decide to express an interest in Joey or not, we can at least assume that the decision was well-informed.

633343[/snapback]

I agree about the state of mind. I saw quite a few games the last couple of years and you can see the panic. He expected to get blasted on every play...which often happened. If they could get him fairly cheap, it may be worth it...especially if the Bills shore up the O-line.

I've heard talk on the board of drafting another QB this year if one of the 3 slip down. I think that's a bad idea at this point, because he's not going to come in and compete right away. So then you 2 projects in the new QB and JP...you're no fartehr ahead.

No to Harrington.  He is a pu$$y.  The key to those Marv's Super Bowl teams was Jimbo's toughness, heart, and leadership.  That is also why I see Losman not lasting very long here.

633366[/snapback]

Based on what? Him getting the crap kicked out of him every week because his offensive line sucks.

No to Harrington.  He is a pu$$y.  The key to those Marv's Super Bowl teams was Jimbo's toughness, heart, and leadership.  That is also why I see Losman not lasting very long here.

633366[/snapback]

I understand your position, but it's about the 4th mention I've seen this morning about Jim Kelly. He's retired and not playing for the Bills and there will never be another Jim Kelly. He, Marino, Montana, and a bunch of guys from that era were cut from a different mold. There are few if any guys like that anymore. These guys are just not as tough anymore or don't want to risk their earning potential by playing hurt. We have to deal with what's available today.

On one hand, there's the numerous examples of guys in the NBA who were drafted by bad teams and played like sh-- b/c that was the culture, then went to another, better team and excelled. It's all a matter of environment.

Millen is a grade-A moron who thought adding more first-round WRs and big$ name FAs would be the answer to his O's and team's problems.

But, the NFL is not the NBA. Gunshy-ness in QBs doesn't go away. And Harrington did not show an ability to make good quick decisions or throw accurate passes; by year 3 that's a sure sign that he's not going to, ever.

BTW --- it's pronounced Day-Twa-ah. :lol:

On one hand, there's the numerous examples of guys in the NBA who were drafted by bad teams and played like sh-- b/c that was the culture, then went to another, better team and excelled. It's all a matter of environment.

Millen is a grade-A moron who thought adding more first-round WRs and big$ name FAs would be the answer to his O's and team's problems.

But, the NFL is not the NBA. Gunshy-ness in QBs doesn't go away. And Harrington did not show an ability to make good quick decisions or throw accurate passes; by year 3 that's a sure sign that he's not going to, ever.

BTW --- it's pronounced Day-Twa-ah. :lol:

633385[/snapback]

Point taken. I still wonder what he could do with a solid offensive line and some receivers that aren't snapping bones like twigs and shooting illegal substances.

One thing about Harrington -- he may have played behind a not-so-good line, but he took VERY few sacks during his time in Detroit.

To be honest, I'm not sure what his problem was. He had a selection of good, young receivers -- top 10 draft picks three years in a row. He had a 1000-yard rusher in Kevin Jones. He seems to have all of the tools, and despite the quote from some poster above who is NOT in the know, Harrington is not a shrinking flower. In fact, he had a reputation at Oregon for being a tough competitor.

The problem, I think, is that the Lions are probably the one organization in the NFL that has been MORE POORLY run than the Bills over the past few years. Maybe, just maybe, a change of scenery COULD do him some good.

Being that Jauron was his head coach for a few games at the end of last season, we should get an indication of what someone from the inside thinks of him, whether he gets an invitation for an interview -- or not. Note that one of the reasons that Millen cited for firing the Mooch in Detroit was that Mariucci was reluctant to play some of his younger players. So what was the first thing that Jauron did when he took over as interim head coach? He decided to start Garcia over Joey.

One thing about Harrington -- he may have played behind a not-so-good line, but he took VERY few sacks during his time in Detroit.

To be honest, I'm not sure what his problem was. He had a selection of good, young receivers -- top 10 draft picks three years in a row. He had a 1000-yard rusher in Kevin Jones. He seems to have all of the tools, and despite the quote from some poster above who is NOT in the know, Harrington is not a shrinking flower. In fact, he had a reputation at Oregon for being a tough competitor.

The problem, I think, is that the Lions are probably the one organization in the NFL that has been MORE POORLY run than the Bills over the past few years. Maybe, just maybe, a change of scenery COULD do him some good.

Being that Jauron was his head coach for a few games at the end of last season, we should get an indication of what someone from the inside thinks of him, whether he gets an invitation for an interview -- or not. Note that one of the reasons that Millen cited for firing the Mooch in Detroit was that Mariucci was reluctant to play some of his younger players. So what was the first thing that Jauron did when he took over as interim head coach? He decided to start Garcia over Joey.

633520[/snapback]

All excellent points, especially that Jauron did pick Garcie over Joey. One thing I contend is that, although ther is a ton of receiver talent, they have had trouble staying on the field (injuries and substance abuse). The running game suffered last year, but that was probably because teams didn't think either QB could beat them. I guess my curiosity stems from being in Oregon during his senior year and buying the hype...

All excellent points, especially that Jauron did pick Garcie over Joey.  One thing I contend is that, although ther is a ton of receiver talent, they have had trouble staying on the field (injuries and substance abuse).  The running game suffered last year, but that was probably because teams didn't think either QB could beat them.  I guess my curiosity stems from being in Oregon during his senior year and buying the hype...

633537[/snapback]

Sorry about the typing on that post...I quit the class in High School for another study hall. Apparently a bad idea!

It doesn't take toughness to sit there and get your head beat in. Pay someone enough money (RJ) and they will do that. Harrington had no respect in the locker room or in the huddle. From watching him play, I just don't think football is in his blood (that doesn't mean he doesn't have some talent). Perhaps some here taught little Joey his piano lessons and are in the 'KNOW', but nothing on the field points to him turning it around.

633366[/snapback]

On what basis are you questioning JP's toughness?

By the way he decides where to run and how to slide (or not), seems to me you could question his judgement but not his toughness.

I can't remember how many times JP would take off and get hit and the announcers would say he has got to get down and slide

But he doesn't have toughness?

I think any QB that is willing to stand Behind Buffalos oline is one of the toughs SOB's in the league (well not as tough as someone playing QB for the Texans, but I question that as toughness or stupidity)

It doesn't take toughness to sit there and get your head beat in.  Pay someone enough money (RJ) and they will do that.  Harrington had no respect in the locker room or in the huddle.  From watching him play, I just don't think football is in his blood (that doesn't mean he doesn't have some talent).  Perhaps some here taught little Joey his piano lessons and are in the 'KNOW', but nothing on the field points to him turning it around.

633556[/snapback]

I guess you missed my point. Harrington did NOT take a ton of sacks in Detroit. Thus, he did not sit in the pocket and take a beating, which makes him the anti-RJ. Thus, while someone like RJ or JP may suffer from some sort of shell-shock after being beaten to a pulp, Harrington is already programmed to get rid of the ball quickly. I'm not endorsing him here -- just trying to set the record straight, so that misinformation isn't spread that this guy is another QB that hangs oonto the ball too long.