Saints want to trade down

gggbills

I saw this on KFFL.com....hope it was not posted yet.

Saints | Shopping the No. 2 pick

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:09:11 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the New Orleans Saints are now trying to trade the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft because they no longer are in need of selecting a quarterback.

This is good. A team looking for Leinart or Cutler can move into position -- don't get any ideas, Marv.

629163[/snapback]

Soooo, is there any reason why the Bills would attempt to move up to the #2 spot? Is there any player we want that badly.

Soooo, is there any reason why the Bills would attempt to move up to the #2 spot?  Is there any player we want that badly.

629178[/snapback]

No and no. The Bills need their second- and third-rounders. They need them badly.

Soooo, is there any reason why the Bills would attempt to move up to the #2 spot?  Is there any player we want that badly.

629178[/snapback]

not unless he's the only player we want

I'll bite......the 8th pick overall, a 2nd next year, and a 3rd this year...

With the second pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON, OT

629184[/snapback]

I'd bite on that too...Too bad the saints won't

I think if we move up to that spot, it would be to snag "Super" Mario Williams. Marv did say his top priority was DL... If he ends up landing Pickett to go along with Triplett, he may see Mario as that Bruce Smith (hopefully he's even half as good as Bruce) type pass rusher that can single handedly crash the party on opposing offenses.

I wasn't happy with getting rid of big Sam, but if Marv could pull this off, I'd be a happy camper. I love D'Brick, but history has proven if you build a dominant D, which starts with the line, you can be real good, real fast.

I agree. It's important to build that DL. Mario Williams is my first choice! If the Bills can sign Pickett, then the DL will cause havoc for years to come.

I'm not too thrilled about picking OL so high. Usually it takes them a while to get accustomed to the NFl, that's if they don't bust like Mike Williams. Even Robert Gallery, who was supposed to be the next best thing, is still not at the level they predicted for him. I heard that they even were thinking of moving him to guard.

I think if we move up to that spot, it would be to snag "Super" Mario Williams. Marv did say his top priority was DL... If he ends up landing Pickett to go along with Triplett, he may see Mario as that Bruce Smith (hopefully he's even half as good as Bruce) type pass rusher that can single handedly crash the party on opposing offenses.

I wasn't happy with getting rid of big Sam, but if Marv could pull this off, I'd be a happy camper. I love D'Brick, but history has proven if you build a dominant D, which starts with the line, you can be real good, real fast.

629262[/snapback]

I agreaa D is important. But you don't have to look too far back in the Bills history where we had the #1 and #3 overall Defenses.

We haven't made the playoffs in over half a decade. Dominant O-Lines dictate the pace of the entire game. IF you can make first downs and put up points, you keep the D off the field which allows you to win. If you have a good D with no Offense and you go 3 and out all the time, the D will wear down.....

YOU HAVE TO CONTROL THE BALL WITH YOU O-LINE TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!!

I'll bite......the 8th pick overall, a 2nd next year, and a 3rd this year...

With the second pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON, OT

629184[/snapback]

Perfect.

That being said, would anyone be willing to give up our #1 next year for the pick?

Still not near enough, just my opinion though.

629359[/snapback]

Wow, your kidding? I really do not want to see us give up any of this years first day picks. Perhaps instead of a 4th rounder, our 2nd next year. I would not mind seeing us move up, but I do not want to give away the farm to do it.

but I do not want to give away the farm to do it.

Thats why I don't think you'll be seeing us do it. Mario would be great but with as many holes as this team has we are going to need a lot of draft picks, this year and next.

Based on the draft value chart:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp

the #2 overall pick is worth 2600

our #8 overal is worth 1400, our #2 is worth 500

Our top 3rd round pick is 230

So to get to #2 this year, even our 1st, 2nd AND top 3rd round pick would not do it. We'd have to give up this yrs 1st and 2nd (1900 total), AND next years 2nd (~500 +/- 100 depending on next years record).

That's A LOT. I don't think it's realistic. I would not take anyone other than Leinart at #2.