Saints want to trade down

gggbills

Perfect.

That being said, would anyone be willing to give up our #1 next year for the pick?

629314[/snapback]

it would be #1 this year AND #1 next year. No way. Saints would love it! They'd get a #8 overall this year, and TWO upper half #1 picks next year! WOW! No wonder everyone wants to trade down.

The interesting thing is that up until about a week ago it looked like as many as 3 QBs would go in the first round -- all possibly in the first 7 picks. With Bush still likely to go at the top of the draft, that would have meant that we would have had dibbs at one of the top 4 other players in the draft.

Now I am starting to think that only one QB (Leinert) will go that high, which means that we effectively lose two slots in the draft. That's why I feel that we could be prime candidates to move up -- or down.

Much will depend on what we do in free agency between now and then. With 4 Day 1 picks -- all in the top 10 of each round -- we may have the luxury of trading to move up if we want to land Mario or Ferguson. However, if Marv and co have not filled enough holes in free agency, then we may not be in the best position to give away draft picks to move up.

A good start would be to sign Pickett. That would mitigate the need for drafting a DT high in the draft, and perhaps give us the flexibility of moving up to land a blue chip player at another position of need.

Based on the draft value chart:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp

the #2 overall pick is worth 2600

our #8 overal is worth 1400, our #2 is worth 500

Our top 3rd round pick is 230

So to get to #2 this year, even our 1st, 2nd AND top 3rd round pick would not do it.  We'd have to give up this yrs 1st and 2nd (1900 total), AND next years 2nd (~500 +/- 100 depending on next years record).

That's A LOT.  I don't think it's realistic.  I would not take anyone other than Leinart at #2.

629387[/snapback]

That's not going to happen, at least I hope not. I would go along with the posts that we have above, our 8th and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year.