Cackling Hens

Casey D

The level of discourse here is really quite amuzing. "We're doomed," said hen #1, "because Marv is old and Jauron is a loser, you can just see it in these signings." "God I wish we had that cute Nick Saban as our coach--he's got Super Bowl written all over him."

But I've just got to have (blank), he's the only guy for the Bills, I just know it looking at game film from the Houston/Oakland game that I have poured over," says hen #2. "Well Marv is a fool" said hen #3, "that guy is no good says ESPN scoutline, and the media always knows the most about what a player will do."

In the meantime, Joe Gibbs is upset to lose Royal because he was a key part of their OL(where the Bills need no help at of course), and Triplett signed quickly because he loved Marv and Jauron in the interview.

But hey, "everything sucks" say the hens in chorus, because, well, just because.

The level of discourse here is really quite amuzing.  "We're doomed," said hen #1, "because Marv is old and Jauron is a loser, you can just see it in these signings."  "God I wish we had that cute Nick Saban as our coach--he's got Super Bowl written all over him."

But I've just got to have (blank), he's the only guy for the Bills, I just know it looking at game film from the Houston/Oakland game that I have poured over," says hen #2.  "Well Marv is a fool" said hen #3, "that guy is no good says ESPN scoutline, and the media always knows the most about what a player will do."

In the meantime, Joe Gibbs is upset to lose Royal because he was a key part of their OL(where the Bills need no help at of course), and Triplett signed quickly because he loved Marv and Jauron in the interview.

But hey, "everything sucks" say the hens in chorus, because, well, just because.

625316[/snapback]

During the Donahoe era, there would have been 20 posts like yours for every opinion that expressed dissatisfaction with Donahoe's moves. Fans have wised up.

You can't constantly put "looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t" in front of the fans and expect them to take the GM's word that it's not. Especially this time, when the new GM and coach both arrived on that same poo-poo platter served up by an increasingly disoriented owner who appears to have lost touch with his league.

People are going to vent their frustrations and they aren't going to assume the best anymore. This is the third offseason in a row that the Bills have been picking from the trash heap in free agency. It's cute when it works, but it's a trainwreck that leads to gaping holes in the lineup when it doesn't work. That's where they stand right now whether you like it or not, so don't expect a parade.

:blink:

During the Donahoe era, there would have been 20 posts like yours for every opinion that expressed dissatisfaction with Donahoe's moves.   Fans have wised up.

You can't constantly put "looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t" in front of the fans and expect them to take the GM's word that it's not.  Especially this time, when the new GM and coach both arrived on that same poo-poo platter served up by an increasingly disoriented owner who appears to have lost touch with his league.

People are going to vent their frustrations and they aren't going to assume the best anymore.  This is the third offseason in a row that the Bills have been picking from the trash heap in free agency.  It's cute when it works, but it's a trainwreck that leads to gaping holes in the lineup when it doesn't work.  That's where they stand right now whether you like it or not, so don't expect a parade.

:)

625368[/snapback]

The Bills sign two role players and fans are up in arms. "Where are the studs??!!!??"

The end of Day One of free agency, and fans demand to know why the team "hasnt done anything yet."

As your own post above has stated, at the end of DAY ONE of free agency, the Bills 2006 plan is "a trainwreck."

Yeah...the fans have wised up. :blink:

The Bills sign two role players and fans are up in arms. "Where are the studs??!!!??"

The end of Day One of free agency, and fans demand to know why the team "hasnt done anything yet."

As your own post above has stated, at the end of DAY ONE of free agency, the Bills 2006 plan is "a trainwreck."

Yeah...the fans have wised up.  :blink:

625390[/snapback]

I don't think it can be called a trainwreck, but it is aggravating. People can question moves (as I have), but no real opinions can be made until the draft is over.

At the end of day one we still have a major need at DT, S, OT, and OGx2. And we need upgrades at LB, NCB, and Center.

A lot of work left...but at least we have a blocking TE!

Yeah...the fans have wised up.  :blink:

625390[/snapback]

No, I said that signing the likes of Chris Villarial, Troy Vincent and Bennie Anderson has been a trainwreck. Though the signings of Royal and Triplett don't inspire any confidence, and production versus pay seems out of balance even by UFA standards.

Personally, if you are going to invest an average of $5M per year in those two guys, I would rather see $6M spent on a guy like Bentley who would anchor the position of most desperate need for the Bills, IMO, the center position. The Bills seem to be locked in to patching up holes with mediocre players. Maybe the Bills didn't want Bentley. I'm sure Bentley wasn't interested in the Bills, but whose fault is that? The fans? Telling the fan that you can't draw talent because your team sucks is kind of a circuitous argument that keeps leading back to bad management, so I won't expect to hear that one from Marv.

The reality is that disappointment in FA is the norm for this team, same with draft day. There is a correlation between those disappointments and the Bills plummeting to the point where they are arguably the laughingstock of the league right now. But give the fans credit for being optimistic and hoping to get some difference makers to help this woeful team that ranked almost dead last offensively and defensively last year. The joke is that the Bills are doomed, the reality is that they suck and need to prove otherwise before they deserve any respect.

During the Donahoe era, there would have been 20 posts like yours for every opinion that expressed dissatisfaction with Donahoe's moves.  Fans have wised up.

You can't constantly put "looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t" in front of the fans and expect them to take the GM's word that it's not.  Especially this time, when the new GM and coach both arrived on that same poo-poo platter served up by an increasingly disoriented owner who appears to have lost touch with his league.

People are going to vent their frustrations and they aren't going to assume the best anymore.  This is the third offseason in a row that the Bills have been picking from the trash heap in free agency.  It's cute when it works, but it's a trainwreck that leads to gaping holes in the lineup when it doesn't work.  That's where they stand right now whether you like it or not, so don't expect a parade.

:blink:

625368[/snapback]

Of course they are. And basically they have little idea what they are talking about. All people know is that they want a name--like Bledsoe or Milloy--because they've heard of them so they must be good. That's why people loved TD for so long, he gave the fans what they wanted--names without much ability any more.

Now the new regime might be looking for good, younger players at reasonable prices--like NE has done for years. You can assume how it will turn out--we will suck--as most people here do. I'd rather be optimistic and believe that maybe the new team knows what it is doing. If I'm wrong, so be it--better than living in constant misery.

Of course they are.  And basically they have little idea what they are talking about.  All people know is that they want a name--like Bledsoe or Milloy--because they've heard of them so they must be good.  That's why people loved TD for so long, he gave the fans what they wanted--names without much ability any more.

Now the new regime might be looking for good, younger  players at reasonable prices--like NE has done for years.  You can assume how it will turn out--we will suck--as most people here do.  I'd rather be optimistic and believe that maybe the new team knows what it is doing.  If I'm wrong, so be it--better than living in constant misery.

625438[/snapback]

If you need to pretend that your team is doing well to avoid living in constant misery, you have issues and need to get a new life.

I love the Bills and following the NFL and college football, but the only impact it has on my life is positive. The Bills import more sh*t? That sucks, but it's also fertilizer for future drafts and shortens the reign of sh*tty coaches and GM's, which increases the chance of the team getting better players and better coaches. I'd rather have winning football, but there's almost always a bright side(as long as there is tailgating), and if the only bright side for you is denial, you are the one with the problem, not the "cackling hens".

If you need to pretend that your team is doing well to avoid living in constant misery, you have issues and need to get a new life.

I love the Bills and following the NFL and college football, but the only impact it has on my life is positive.  The Bills import more sh*t?  That sucks, but it's also fertilizer for future drafts and shortens the reign of sh*tty coaches and GM's, which increases the chance of the team getting better players and better coaches.  I'd rather have winning football, but there's almost always a bright side(as long as there is tailgating), and if the only bright side for you is denial, you are the one with the problem, not the "cackling hens".

625492[/snapback]

Both sides of this coin are correct. However, there's one thing that everybody on the board is missing: None of us here really know what we're talking about.

We don't know anything about player evaluation, or even what to look for.

We don't know anything about putting a team together.

We certainly don't know anything about player contracts and the rules of free agency. And at this point, I doubt the professionals who have careers in the NFL

really understand it yet.

Everybody wants winning football. Marv, however old he may be, has built winning football teams. I have no idea how to build one. It may take longer than we want, but I'll stick with Marv.

Both sides of this coin are correct.  However, there's one thing that everybody on the board is missing:  None of us here really know what we're talking about.

We don't know anything about player evaluation, or even what to look for.

We don't know anything about putting a team together.

We certainly don't know anything about player contracts and the rules of free agency.  And at this point, I doubt the professionals who have careers in the NFL

really understand it yet.

Everybody wants winning football.  Marv, however old he may be, has built winning football teams.  I have no idea how to build one.  It may take longer than we want, but I'll stick with Marv.

625590[/snapback]

None of us know how to be president of the US either, that's why I stay in line like a good sheep.

:lol:<_<

Football isn't that complicated. In fact, I bet old time scouts are hating all the escalating draft coverage, it really puts them on the spot. The more information that's out there, the less edge there is to get and the more scrutiny failures bring.

I think Charlie Weis played the tuba in the ND band in college, now he runs the program and is about the hottest football coaching property on the planet. In short, I couldn't disagree with you more.

None of us know how to be president of the US either, that's why I stay in line like a good sheep.

:huh:  :(

Football isn't that complicated. In fact, I bet old time scouts are hating all the escalating draft coverage, it really puts them on the spot.  The more information that's out there, the less edge there is to get and the more scrutiny failures bring.

I think Charlie Weis played the tuba in the ND band in college, now he runs the program and is about the hottest football coaching property on the planet.  In short, I couldn't disagree with you more.

625740[/snapback]

Honestly, what tools do you have to evaluate line play? I mean, do you just depend on what the media says, because without tape, and without understanding the assignments on a particular play, how do you do it?

Honestly, what tools do you have to evaluate line play?  I mean, do you just depend on what the media says, because without tape, and without understanding the assignments on a particular play, how do you do it?

626677[/snapback]

Don't need too many tools to know Greg Jerman and Bennie Anderson aren't the answer for our line woes.

Don't need too many tools to know Greg Jerman and Bennie Anderson aren't the answer for our line woes.

626725[/snapback]

Interpretation--you don't and you can't-- but you are great at whining?

Interpretation--you don't and you can't-- but you are great at whining?

626745[/snapback]

Whining? Nice. Maybe you enjoy a decade-plus without a playoff win. Maybe you enjoy a circuit of three horrible head coaches back-to-back-to-back. Maybe you enjoy a starting OL that features Gandy, Anderson and Jerman. Perhaps you like the fact that we've not even been to the playoffs in six seasons.

Maybe you do.

But I don't. And I don't think that makes me a whiner, either, so go stuff your holier-than-thou attitude.

Whining? Nice. Maybe you enjoy a decade-plus without a playoff win. Maybe you enjoy a circuit of three horrible head coaches back-to-back-to-back. Maybe you enjoy a starting OL that features Gandy, Anderson and Jerman. Perhaps you like the fact that we've not even been to the playoffs in six seasons.

Maybe you do.

But I don't. And I don't think that makes me a whiner, either, so go stuff your holier-than-thou attitude.

626750[/snapback]

Oh, a snippy whiner. I asked a simple question to determine what your opinions of players are based on--i.e., how can you judge the talents of linemen. Basically your answer is the team does not win, so that whatever player they get is no good, both those from the past and those just acquired.

I would take your views more seriously, if you had sound information to back up your unhappiness. It is self evident the Bills have been bad for quite a while, that's why RW cleaned house this off-season. I also know that TD did not put together a winner, what I am trying to determine is if we are making progress going forward. Your repetition of your answer-- NO NO NO NO, we suck suck suck-- is simply a conclusion, and not something that helps me judge where the team might be going. But hey, the world needs whiners too.