Sabres Trade Mika

TSNBDSC

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... for a second round pick ... per Fan590 out of Toronto ...

622396[/snapback]

Minnesota gets a 1st rounder for 33 yr old Roloson and Sabres only get a 2nd for Noronen.

Winners are Minny and Vancouver for these trades.

Minnesota gets a 1st rounder for 33 yr old Roloson and Sabres only get a 2nd for Noronen.

Winners are Minny and Vancouver for these trades.

622419[/snapback]

Rolly's a proven NHL 'tender. Mika's a proven AHL 'tender. Not a bad return for a spare part, especially if Darcy flips it in another trade.

That is definately the wrong move. Mika should have stayed and Biron dealt for a player that is currently in the NHL. Not a 2nd rd pick that can maybe help the team in 4-5 yrs. It seems Regier again has shown he is scrared to pull the trigger on a major trade. The one bargaining chip we had this yr to try and improve the defense was wasted. So no we have Biron sitting on the bench for the entire playoffs. What a waste. Miller is our best player and he will not sit one playoff game nor should he. So to me Regier blew it.

Just when you think the organization cant become more of a joke ( in the front office not on the ice) Regier pulls this off.

That is definately the wrong move. Mika should have stayed and Biron dealt for a player that is currently in the NHL. Not a 2nd rd pick that can maybe help the team in 4-5 yrs. It seems Regier again has shown he is scrared to pull the trigger on a major trade. The one bargaining chip we had this yr to try and improve the defense was wasted. So no we have Biron sitting on the bench for the entire playoffs. What a waste. Miller is our best player and he will not sit one playoff game nor should he. So to me Regier blew it.

Just when you think the organization cant become more of a joke ( in the front office not on the ice) Regier pulls this off.

622440[/snapback]

Yep, that front office sure is a joke.

What is it now, 83 points?

622440[/snapback]

I agree in principle...but we're assuming another team would match what Darcy was aksing for Biron. Probably asked for the moon. Teams told him to take a long walk off a short pier and he fell back to moving Mika for a pick.

I am just speculating, but I am betting that Biron was worth a 1rst, 3rd, and 5th rounder. In turn, a 3rd and 5th rounder plus Rory Fitzpatrick could have landed us a decent blueliner. Mika for a 2nd rounder is a pretty conservative move. I was hoping for something a little more bold.

Mostly I was hoping for an excuse to send Fitzpatrick out of town.

622440[/snapback]

Gotta disagree. The stretch run is gonna be a killer with games every other night from here on out. If Miller gets overworked and comes up exhausted in the playoffs, the whole season is for naught (just like what happened to Ryan last year in Rochester when they overplayed him so he could get the franchise record for wins and he had nothing left in the playoffs).

Biron's gonna play a lot over the next two months and then be traded at the draft. Sounds like a good plan to me in the absense of a blockbuster guy being available for Marty (like Jokinen).

TSN story and trade analysis

Yep, that front office sure is a joke.

What is it now, 83 points?

622442[/snapback]

You cant just open the paper and look at the standings. There is more to it than that. Yes they have 83 points and 39 wins but a successful front office will take the strengths on their team (goaltending for the sabres) and use that to improve other areas. To make a trade just to rid yourself of a log jam in goal is not smart. Mika would be the perfect back up. How long will the sabres continue to pay Marty to sit on the bench most likely for 60 plus games next season barring an injury to Miller.

A back-up golalie is just that... a back-up. He plays very little. Who was the back up to Roy all the years in Montreal? There were probably several but nobody cared. Roy was the man and Miller will be the same here for the next decade. To keep Marty as "insurace" is foolish. You trade him (and maybe one of your younger forwards) for someone that can put you over the top now. There were alot of names out there that teams were willing to listen to offers.

We were dealing from strength and instead Vancouver got the better of us. For months now the Canucks and Oilers and Avalanche were all interested in Biron and the Sabres expect us to believe that there was not one offer better than a 2nd rd pick? Please. But most of the fans will buy into that and nothing more will be made of this.

Gotta disagree.  The stretch run is gonna be a killer with games every other night from here on out.  If Miller gets overworked and comes up exhausted in the playoffs, the whole season is for naught (just like what happened to Ryan last year in Rochester when they overplayed him so he could get the franchise record for wins and he had nothing left in the playoffs).

Biron's gonna play a lot over the next two months and then be traded at the draft.  Sounds like a good plan to me in the absense of a blockbuster guy being available for Marty (like Jokinen).

TSN story and trade analysis

622451[/snapback]

In some ways this a vote of confidence in Biron who must as a pro athlete have his heart and mind be a little bruised after being bested by a better goal tender.

Darcy coulda/shoulda made a speech to Biron that this made tbis move because during this sprint to the finish with the compacted Olympics driven schedule they plan to play him a lot and expect little or drop-off from Miller's superior play when he is in there.

Whe playoff time comes they hope and expect to go with Miller every night so Biron should be under no illusion. However, there is an expectation and demand that Miller is play like the first rounder he is and if he gets hurt (as has already happened, or has a production outage we do not expect from him, the Sabres eant to be ready to have a G capable of making a run for the Cup.

The team is confident that Biron is the man for this pivotal job.

If Regier offers this up, Biron can pout and throw a hissy fit if he wants (I actually doubt he will) but he was simply beaten out by a performing G and he and everyone else knows it so he only hurts himself by complaining, particularly if he lets complaints interfere with his play.