Sabres Trade Mika

TSNBDSC

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All those years of holding onto 3 promising goalies, waiting for the perfect time to make a move, and all they have to show for it is a mere 2nd round pick. Way to go, Buffalo.

622470[/snapback]

Relax the deadline is 3:30. That pick could easily be dealed. Keeping two solid goalies for the playoffs isn't a bad idea.

You cant just open the paper and look at the standings.

622461[/snapback]

Or maybe you can.

How much crap did the fans give the team when they weren't signing players left and right leading up to this season? Where are those fans now?

The front office built a team that is tearing up the league. If this is what they could get for their 3rd goalie, then alright.

Or maybe you can.

How much crap did the fans give the team when they weren't signing players left and right leading up to this season?  Where are those fans now?

The front office built a team that is tearing up the league.  If this is what they could get for their 3rd goalie, then alright.

622475[/snapback]

Sho'nuff.

It's all too easy to forget what happened to us when Dom got fatigued during the most important part of the season. With a tandem of Ryan and a hungry Marty staying fresh, life will be easier, especially if the worst were to happen. No way we should trade Biron unless there's some excellent talent coming back for him. People consistently seem to forget around here that a blockbuster trade requires two willing partners. Not every team is ready to get fleeced like the Oilers.

You cant just open the paper and look at the standings. There is more to it than that. Yes they have 83 points and 39 wins but a successful front office will take the strengths on their team (goaltending for the sabres) and use that to improve other areas. To make a trade just to rid yourself of a log jam in goal is not smart. Mika would be the perfect back up. How long will the sabres continue to pay Marty to sit on the bench most likely for 60 plus games next season barring an injury to Miller.

A back-up golalie is just that... a back-up. He plays very little. Who was the back up to Roy all the years in Montreal? There were probably several but nobody cared. Roy was the man and Miller will be the same here for the next decade. To keep Marty as "insurace" is foolish. You trade him (and maybe one of your younger forwards) for someone that can put you over the top now. There were alot of names out there that teams were willing to listen to offers.

We were dealing from strength and instead Vancouver got the better of us. For months now the Canucks and Oilers and Avalanche were all interested in Biron and the Sabres expect us to believe that there was not one offer better than a 2nd rd pick? Please. But most of the fans will buy into that and nothing more will be made of this.

622461[/snapback]

See, thats where I think you're wrong.

The Sabres weren't dealing from a position of strength. To assume so, you would have to:

A.) Assume that the other goaltenders available were few and far betwee.

B.) Assume that other teams didn't hear about Mika saying trade me, move me to Buffalo, or I'm going to Finland.

In regards to A, here are some of the goalies that are/were rumoed to be on the market within the past week:

- CuJo

- Belfour

- Noronen/Biron

- Mike Morrison

- One of the Bruins goalies

- Aebisher

- Theodore

- Suave

- Roloson

Thats a lot of goalies out on the maket, some of whom are better than Biron. Not to mention the fact that Biron has a hefty salary, and an asking price for him would be pretty big, a lot of teams would choose not to go after him and take a chance on someone else.

With regards to B, Buffalo was more desperate to trade a goalie then any team was to get a goalie from them. It was known Mika's intentions, and Biron had publically said he was hoping to stay in Buffalo, which would also drive down his price.

To say that Buffalo was in a position of strength is to not see reality imo.

See, thats where I think you're wrong.

The Sabres weren't dealing from a position of strength.  To assume so, you would have to:

A.) Assume that the other goaltenders available were few and far betwee.

B.) Assume that other teams didn't hear about Mika saying trade me, move me to Buffalo, or I'm going to Finland.

In regards to A, here are some of the goalies that are/were rumoed to be on the market within the past week:

- CuJo

- Belfour

- Noronen/Biron

- Mike Morrison

- One of the Bruins goalies

- Aebisher

- Theodore

- Suave

- Roloson

Thats a lot of goalies out on the maket, some of whom are better than Biron.  Not to mention the fact that Biron has a hefty salary, and an asking price for him would be pretty big, a lot of teams would choose not to go after him and take a chance on someone else.

With regards to B, Buffalo was more desperate to trade a goalie then any team was to get a goalie from them.  It was known Mika's intentions, and Biron had publically said he was hoping to stay in Buffalo, which would also drive down his price.

To say that Buffalo was in a position of strength is to not see reality imo.

622486[/snapback]

Very true. Plus, remember San Jose only got a 2nd rounder for Kiprusoff when he went to Calgary. The 2 Mikas were at fairly similar points in their careers when they were moved. (Both were buried behind entrenched starters.)

The Mika trade isn't the end of the world. I would like to have seen Marty become a D-man, but if it wasn't there, it wasn't there.

A back-up golalie is just that... a back-up. He plays very little. Who was the back up to Roy all the years in Montreal? There were probably several but nobody cared. Roy was the man and Miller will be the same here for the next decade. To keep Marty as "insurace" is foolish. You trade him (and maybe one of your younger forwards) for someone that can put you over the top now. There were alot of names out there that teams were willing to listen to offers.

622461[/snapback]

The main backup to Roy was Andre "Red Light" Racicot. The difference is, Roy was Patrick Roy. Miller is having a great season and could end up being the star goaltender for Buffalo for a long time but maybe the Sabres front office aren't sold on him completely. If he has a good playoff run, Biron will most likely be traded in the offseason.

I am just speculating, but I am betting that Biron was worth a 1rst, 3rd, and 5th rounder. In turn, a 3rd and 5th rounder plus Rory Fitzpatrick could have landed us a decent blueliner. Mika for a 2nd rounder is a pretty conservative move. I was hoping for something a little more bold.

Mostly I was hoping for an excuse to send Fitzpatrick out of town.

622449[/snapback]

The Hockey Sherpa speaks... All bow

we're not worthy  :)

622606[/snapback]

You are if you can spell Aebischer, or is that Abechire?

ahh, screw it, being a hockey sherpa has lost its luster, I didn't know I would

get paid in Yak milk. Bleeck.

You are if you can spell Aebischer, or is that Abechire?

ahh, screw it, being a hockey sherpa has lost its luster, I didn't know I would

get paid in Yak milk. Bleeck.

622617[/snapback]

what do you think of the theo trade oh great exalted one?

what do you think of the theo trade oh great exalted one?

622689[/snapback]

Good trade for Montreal. Quite a gamble for Colorado.

If I am Gainey I am happy to unload Theo at this point and

get a reliable #2.