Favorite independent or obscure movie

Dante

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In The Company Of Men"  Aaron Eckhart's big break.  Great story, too!

46181[/snapback]

Eckhart is dark in that movie. Just wrong what they did to that deaf girl. I love this part of the movie...the conference room scene.....

(click on the bottom left clip under "Clips")

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/men/stillsclips-f.html

Whats your favorite non Hollywood independent movie. Here's three of my favs.

Clerks(obvious)

Dead Pet

American Movie

45622[/snapback]

Frankenhooker

Basket Case

Bad Taste (Peter Jackson director)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Pt II (starring Dennis Hopper)

Guest Joseph Shmoseph

Anybody who knows anything about Cinema knows that true original voice of independent film is the magnificent and underrated Steven Spielberg. He embodies the spirit of the avant garde artist. His films are heartbreakingly raw, always restrained and subtle, never heavy-handed. One cannot help but admire the courage of this underground genius for always remaining true to his artistic ideals and never bending to the temptations of mass appeal.

It is unfortunate, of course, that only the most enlightened among the intellectual elite are even capable of appreciating the depths of Mr. Spielberg's masterpieces. The casual filmwatcher is utterly flabbergasted and his mental health endangered when exposed to the raw existential intensity of Mr. Spielberg's work. That is why we should all do our best to become much much smarter so that Art such as this will not go unappreciated. And if we can't be that smart, we should at least pretend to be. For the sake of Art.

Anybody who knows anything about Cinema knows that true original voice of independent film is the magnificent and underrated Steven Spielberg.  He embodies the spirit of the avant garde artist.  His films are heartbreakingly raw, always restrained and subtle, never heavy-handed.  One cannot help but admire the courage of this underground genius for always remaining true to his artistic ideals and never bending to the temptations of mass appeal.

It is unfortunate, of course, that only the most enlightened among the intellectual elite are even capable of appreciating the depths of Mr. Spielberg's masterpieces.  The casual filmwatcher is utterly flabbergasted and his mental health endangered when exposed to the raw existential intensity of Mr. Spielberg's work.  That is why we should all do our best to become much much smarter so that Art such as this will not go unappreciated.  And if we can't be that smart, we should at least pretend to be.  For the sake of Art.

46888[/snapback]

How can you say that one of the most popular and well known directors goes unappreciated?

Many of my favorites have already been listed, so I'll add "Freak Talks About Sex".

Steve Zahn and some other dude play slackers in Syracuse. I probably like it more because I lived there, but it's one of those movies that is better than it sounds.

Then again, I lived in Buffalo and HATED "Stiletto Dance". God I wish I could get that 90 minutes of my life back.

if you like "city of god" you should check out "bus 174" (documentary about brazilian street kid who takes a bus hostage) and Luis Bunuel's "los olvidados" (older movie but same story as city of god - based in mexico city). actually, all of Bunuel's stuff is must see, imo.

The Naked Lunch

A movie partly about the William S. Burroughs novel, partly about the author himself.

Strangest damn movie I've ever seen. They guy was definitely on drugs - typwriters that turn into bugs and fight at night, a typewriter that's an alien head and dispenses mind-altering goo, sniffing bug powder - man, that was a crazy movie.

Boondock Saints is mainstream.

Best movie no one has heard of?  Withou ta doubt, Requiem for a Dream.

45656[/snapback]

oooooooooooooo, good pick. a very well done movie. freakin wierd though. electricuting a nice old lady... but very good.

Anybody who knows anything about Cinema knows that true original voice of independent film is the magnificent and underrated Steven Spielberg.  He embodies the spirit of the avant garde artist.  His films are heartbreakingly raw, always restrained and subtle, never heavy-handed.  One cannot help but admire the courage of this underground genius for always remaining true to his artistic ideals and never bending to the temptations of mass appeal.

It is unfortunate, of course, that only the most enlightened among the intellectual elite are even capable of appreciating the depths of Mr. Spielberg's masterpieces.  The casual filmwatcher is utterly flabbergasted and his mental health endangered when exposed to the raw existential intensity of Mr. Spielberg's work.  That is why we should all do our best to become much much smarter so that Art such as this will not go unappreciated.  And if we can't be that smart, we should at least pretend to be.  For the sake of Art.

46888[/snapback]

I have read that he is very good, but his unflinching vision is too piercing for my heart to withstand. Films like his belong in an art house maybe somewhere in a bad neighborhood. It is ridiculous to expect that the regular megaplex crowd could understand art like this. That's why Spielberg will never get the credit he deserves as a revolutionary, until maybe after he's been dead for about 50 years.