(OT) What did you go to school for?

Tux of Borg

BS in Forestry, 1992.

Have always been, and will always be in the profession. Worked my way from the field (or should I say, woods...) into an administrative position. I like my work, but am tiring of the political/bureaucratic bull stevestojan. I'd like to get back into a field office and closer to the land...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BS in Chemical Engineering from UB in 2002...joined this board in 1999 i think hence the collegeguy moniker

maybe I'll reconsider the medical school option and spend some more time in school

The REAL reason for the collegeguy moniker -- you're a fulltime student :flirt:

CW

Associates in Radio/Television Broadcasting

B.A. in Speech Communication

I interned at a TV Station in Syracuse (WIXT) and in Rochester (WOKR) before realizing two things. 1. I wasn't talented enough. 2. I hate the local media.

For the past 8 years a Computer Sales and Consulting Account Manager.

Business Degree over 20 years ago. Learned Computers in the Navy after graduation. Still work in the computer field but completely burned out and fed up. I'm almost 44 and have a family, so going back to school would be tough,if not financially impossible. Would love to work in a field where I'd be helping other people and could experience some compassion. I get next to zero satisfaction from my current position.

Where'd you learn computer forensics? I've been trying to get my company to send me to a SANS conference to cover that very topic.

Economic Crime Institute at Utica is one of the best programs in the country. I moved up from Myrtle Beach just so I can go to that school.

You might be interested in the streaming video up at blackhat.com. They do security conferences from all around the globe. You can watch a few of their videos for free on their website. The rest you'll have to buy on VHS or DVD.

BlackHat.com

hey indy dave, where did you get your degree from and where have you done your sports writing?

also, was it difficult to find a job given the small number of jobs in that field?

thanks

45620[/snapback]

I went to school at Henderson State University, a small (enrollment about 3,500) liberal arts school in Arkansas.

I don't think it's that difficult to find a job in sports writing, so long as you are willing to pay your dues by getting a job at a small newspaper covering high school and other local sports.

Once I got into college, I started working in the school's sports information office, which led to be getting the Sports Information Director position at my alma mater a year after I graduated. You wear many hats as an SID, one of which is sportswriter. I loved the SID profession, despite the weak salary and long hours. I did that for eight years.

B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Purdue,

Plant manager for a Fortune 150 company suppling the Big 3 + others.

Just got promoted :flirt:

but my daytime surfing will take a big hit now. :D

Really don't use too much of what I learned in school on the job.,

but the college experience was great

Question for all... what did you go to college for, and are you using that degree in your line or work right now?  After I got off of active duty I went to school for electronics and web programing.  I worked in that field for a little while but left to pursue a degree in computer forensics.  Now that I am finishing that up, I'm debating on going to grad school for counter intelligence.  I'm hesitant because its such a big financial commitment.

45532[/snapback]

I went to school for Electrical Engineering. I am now a Controls Engineer (combo of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering).

As far as continuing your education, I say GO FOR IT. I know that it is a financial and time commitment, but if this is what you want to do, then find a way to make it work.

I am currently going for my Masters in Strategic Intelligence (concentrating on Asian Studies).

Best of luck to you!!

BA in Political Science, and History... 1990, UB. :flirt:

Working for the army. Lock and dam operator. Started off doing hydrographic survey work early on the Great Lakes (Toledo to Watertown, Buffalo District) and Upper Mississippi River (Rock Island District) (first 3 years with the government). In between that time, worked a little at Black Rock Lock before going to the midwest.

Say what?