Kevin Mawae's farewell to Jets letter

I thought this back-handed and tru compliment was pretty funny:

"The word around the locker rooms is that even when the Jets are losing, the fans still come out just to boo the players. That may have been so from time to time, but the impressive thing was that you were still there!"

I always liked Mawae--a great center who always played well against us. I wonder if he's fully recovered and how much he has left in the tank.

I always liked Mawae--a great center who always played well against us.

617397[/snapback]

Always thought he was over-rated...besides I remember one game, the 1999 Sunday nighter at RWS, where Ted Washington ate him alive...Big Ted toyed with Mawae that game.

Always thought he was over-rated...besides I remember one game, the 1999 Sunday nighter at RWS, where Ted Washington ate him alive...Big Ted toyed with Mawae that game.

617414[/snapback]

Big Ted was THE reason Parcells brought Mawae to the Jests.

Look it up.

I like the dig about contracts being "your word" and only being honored on "one side" in the NFL (meaning, obviously, management). last I checked, if a player decides his contract is not good enough, he has the opportunity to "sit out" to "demand" a renegotiation/trade/whatever. Doesn't happen often...maybe it has something to do with the fact that the players are well-compensated to begin with...

I know Kevin Mawae's getting up there in age, but I don't think we can just plug Duke Preston in there quite yet. Especially since he was used as a Guard all last season :)

Kevin Mawae could be good for a year or two until we feel the Duke of Preston is ready. With how HORRENDOUS our line is, we can't afford to put in a 4th round (for all intensive purposes...) Rookie in there and hope he's ready to go.