Bob Matthews is weird

The Bills cut three big names, so a quickly tune in WHAM (online) to hear the latest from Bob Matthews. What I'm hearing is Day #3 of his tribute to the autistic kid from Rochester who hit 6 3-pointers. Day #3!!! Today it's discussing who will play the coach in the movie! (Movie?????)

I've come to expect Bob to lead with some "sizzling" soccer story on his show, but he usually gets around to the real news eventually. But this Autistic kid story has sent him over the cliff.

Am I missing something? It's a great story, but isn't it already over? Matthews is practically messing his shorts over this story! Can anyone set me straight on this, or do you think Mattews is beating this horse to death too.

PTR

The Bills cut three big names, so a quickly tune in WHAM (online) to hear the latest from Bob Matthews.  What I'm hearing is Day #3 of his tribute to the autistic kid from Rochester who hit 6 3-pointers.  Day #3!!!  Today it's discussing who will play the coach in the movie!  (Movie?????)

I've come to expect Bob to lead with some "sizzling" soccer story on his show, but he usually gets around to the real news eventually.  But this Autistic kid story has sent him over the cliff.

Am I missing something?  It's a great story, but isn't it already over?  Matthews is practically messing his shorts over this story!  Can anyone set me straight on this, or do you think Mattews is beating this horse to death too.

PTR

615624[/snapback]

uhhh, it's not over. ESPN is still talking about it and so are many other networks. Jim Rome had the head coach on the radio today. That coach has also gotten interview requests from all over the world.

I've heard that Disney has agreed to a contract from the kid and his family. There will be a movie. It's just a matter of when.

Matthews always talks about the horses for way too long. Nobody cares, but he has such a gambling problem he always obsesses about horse racing.

615645[/snapback]

And now he's betting on the kid. I jeard he dropped a few grand on whether teh kid would suit up last night.

The best part about this story is the D/C slept through it for about a week until it made national news --- now they are falling over themselves trying to cover him. :unsure:

Didn't HBO's "Real Sports" just have a story similar to this about a month or two ago? Seemed like they were almost identical, except the one on the HBO show had somewhat more of a disability. But it was a similar theme; kid finally gets put on the court in the last game, and makes a three pointer after a couple of misses.

For some reason, I recall the HBO one as actually more astounding that he actually made a basket. But they're both great stories.

Matthews always talks about the horses for way too long. Nobody cares, but he has such a gambling problem he always obsesses about horse racing.

615645[/snapback]

I love how he picks the biggest favorite on the board EVERY week during the season when he's making his "best bet" pick on Friday.

Such a freaking square.

You don't have to listen to him no matter where you live- your choice.

615929[/snapback]

True, but surfing through the stations in Rochester is kind of a limited assortment, you know? And BTW, I should have been more exact and said Webster instead of Rochester :doh:

You don't have to listen to him no matter where you live- your choice.

615929[/snapback]

Except Bob's show is the only source of Bills sports talk streamed on the internet. The Tuesday Night Roundtable show is great. I like Bob because he is such an odd duck. I find it funny he barely has a grasp of the English language, yet he writes a newspaper column. But there are times I don't get his news judgement.

PTR

The Bills cut three big names, so a quickly tune in WHAM (online) to hear the latest from Bob Matthews.  What I'm hearing is Day #3 of his tribute to the autistic kid from Rochester who hit 6 3-pointers.  Day #3!!!  Today it's discussing who will play the coach in the movie!  (Movie?????)

I've come to expect Bob to lead with some "sizzling" soccer story on his show, but he usually gets around to the real news eventually.  But this Autistic kid story has sent him over the cliff.

Am I missing something?  It's a great story, but isn't it already over?  Matthews is practically messing his shorts over this story!  Can anyone set me straight on this, or do you think Mattews is beating this horse to death too.

PTR

615624[/snapback]

i listen to him for 5 minutes at a time because that is all i can stand.

the other night he droned on about how Syracuse MUST retire Gerry MacNamara's jersey. :doh: He is the most overrated played in team history and he spends 3 nights in a row talking about it.

Except Bob's show is the only source of Bills sports talk streamed on the internet.  The Tuesday Night Roundtable show is great.  I like Bob because he is such an odd duck.  I find it funny he barely has a grasp of the English language, yet he writes a newspaper column.  But there are times I don't get his news judgement.

PTR

615950[/snapback]

Could be the Agent Orange exposure he had in Nam. :doh:

ps - the story about "J Mac" is worthy of pumping for a lot longer. There will be a movie, no doubt about it. What a tremendous achievement for him. In four minutes he made a career. His is a fabulous story and one that makes "Rudy" pale in comparison. JMHO.