I went to U Maryland and watched Vernon every game

I'm a frequent TSW viewer but rarely post anything, but I had to give my input on the Vernon Davis discussion. By way of background, I grew up in Kenmore and am a ridiculous Bills fan, and I also went to the University of Maryland and watched Vernon play every game in which he suited up.

Also, I haven't really taken a position on who the Bills should draft at #8, but I wanted to share my thoughts on Davis.

Simply put, I believe this guy possesses more talent than any tight end in the NFL, by far. I believe he will be better than Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. Even at the next level, there will be days when it is clear that he is a man among boys. Everyone is talking about his combine numbers, which were ridiculous, but you really have to watch him play to have a full understanding of what a special player this guy is. The speed is a given -- 4.38 would make him among the fastest, if not THE fastest, Bills player. But what really separates him is his incredible, ridiculous, bionic strength. This is said far too often about players, but in Vernon's case it is true: One player simply cannot bring him down most of the time. There were plays, which will be shown during the draft, etc, when he literally carried 3 or 4 players with him. He also has exceptional hands and body control, which when combined with his measurables makes him almost impossible to cover one on one.

The only thing that slowed him down at Maryland was the talent around him; we've had a poor offense and crappy QB play the last couple years. Still, he found a way to get the ball. We even had him return kicks a few times.

I never say this, but barring injury Vernon is an absolute can't miss player who should be a perennial pro bowler. I know that I'm not breaking new ground with most of this information, but I thought it might carry more weight coming from someone who literally watched every game he played in.

You can argue that we should draft a position of greater need, but you cannot intelligently claim that Kevin Everett is in Vernon Davis' class. They don't even occupy the same galaxy.

Thanks for weighing in. But I suspect this will fall mostly on deaf ears. Most are so locked in on offensive and defensive lines that suggesting any other position will be seen as lunacy. Obviously the Bills are in major need of an upgrade on the lines, but there are other ways to accomplish this besides using your first round draft pick. Personally I've been saying for a while now that I'd love to see Vernon Davis in a Bills uniform. If they do go in another direction with the 8 pick I won't be surprised, but I think he'll be one of those players where people look back at all the teams that had a chance to draft him and passed him by.

I couldn't agree more. I think Ngata will be a classic underacheiver. Just watching some of his games this year I think he has great games and games he takes off. Vernon Davis SHOULD be our first pick.

Look at the teams with game changing tight-ends: San Diego, KC, Giants (when Shockey is playing hard), even Denver with Sharpe. The offenses are more expolosive and the defense has to take a man out of the box to focus on the TE.

I know that our lines need serious upgrades but we can focus on at least one position (LT,OG) in free agency and hope for a good addition to be available in the second round.

I'd be hesitant to use "can't miss" even w/ the qualifier of barring injury.

I'm not disputing your claims that he indeed has the potential to be phenomenal, just that there's no such thing as "can't miss".

We had this lineman named Mike Williams... :D

Damn, I'm telling you, you guys are starting to sway me towards Vernon Davis.  It would be awesome to have a game changing TE like that.

614970[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. I'm all about Brick and Mario. I also know that at #8 it's not realistic. Sooooo.....knowing it's the trenches I think we should address, Ngata seems to be the next natural option. However, I admit to getting caught up in this Davis stuff. I'll tell you what, I could be swayed. Tough call.

Thanks for weighing in.  But I suspect this will fall mostly on deaf ears.  Most are so locked in on offensive and defensive lines that suggesting any other position will be seen as lunacy.  Obviously the Bills are in major need of an upgrade on the lines, but there are other ways to accomplish this besides using your first round draft pick.  Personally I've been saying for a while now that I'd love to see Vernon Davis in a Bills uniform.  If they do go in another direction with the 8 pick I won't be surprised, but I think he'll be one of those players where people look back at all the teams that had a chance to draft him and passed him by.

614967[/snapback]

Honestly, Herr Doctor, weren't you focused on the lines a week ago - before the Davis hype started? It's not just that this board, by and large, thinks we need to invest in the lines, it's also that the last thing we need is to throw our top pick to the receiving corps for the third straight year!!! That's Millen territory - and should remain Millen territory. And Davis essentially is a receiver, since no one seems to be talking up his blocking abilities.

Not only do we need help on the lines, but we also need general depth in our defense. We have spent two picks on defense the past two years - a 3rd and a 5th. That should be our focus. The only way I could see justifying that piece is to succeed in free agency, get a compensatory 3rd or 4th, and drop a pick or two for Davis and pick up another first day pick.

This was a 5-11 team last year. We're not a player away.

Honestly, Herr Doctor, weren't you focused on the lines a week ago - before the Davis hype started? 

614993[/snapback]

I DO think the lines need to be addressed, but if you have the patience to look back, which I don't, I was one of the first people on this board to mention Davis as a possible pick at the 8 spot. Unlike some people I'm flexible with what I would like the Bills to do at the 8 spot. I'm not locked on to a player or a position as some people seem to be. I'm overall a best player available guy. If hell froze over and Reggie Bush was there at 8 I'd love to see the Bills take him.

The Bill's new OC, Fairchild, has little in his past that would suggest that passing to the TE is going to be part of his plans.

614980[/snapback]

True. Brian Billick was an offensive mastermind, yet his SB winning Ravens went scoreless in how many games the year they won? Adjust to your talent. I'll bet Fairchild could incorporate a gameplan to feature such a talent.

I'd love to see vernon davis on the bills if and only if SDS places a ban on using the term VD to refer to davis...

614978[/snapback]

Ha, well, Vernon actually goes by the nickname "Duke." He is rarely referred to as "Vernon" in the world of Terps football. So I guess that would make him DD, or Double D :-)

Also, one other thing I forgot to add -- whoever drafts Davis will likely move him around a good bit. I'm intrigued by the prospect of splitting him out wide and letting him get deep.

True. Brian Billick was an offensive mastermind, yet his SB winning Ravens went scoreless in how many games the year they won? Adjust to your talent. I'll bet Fairchild could incorporate a gameplan to feature such a talent.

615005[/snapback]

Yes, that's possible. The upcoming season should be interesting, regardless. Almost entirely new staff, rumors of a cover 2 defense, player turn-over, round-and-round it goes...who's the QB? Nobody knows! etc.

It could be remembered as The Year of the Chinese Fire Drill... :D

Maybe Davis could play DT for us?

Seriously, just cause we pick a TE (also a need for this team) first in the draft, doesn't mean our o-line is gonna suffer. There are other picks in the draft and FA to fix our problems. And if the bills make it official and cut moulds, we are going to need another recieving threat on this team.

Why? Vallerial got referred to as Venereal time to time. Is Davis to be a protected species? :D

614990[/snapback]

And don't forget TE Jay Rear-smegma

Nevermind I did the work for you

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...&hl=Davis&st=20

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...=40824&hl=Davis

I don't think you'll find anything different about what I just posted and what I say in these posts from a month and two months ago.

615012[/snapback]

If you say so, I'll give you your due. The first link says that "I don't know if he's a good fit considering the Bills needs, but I've always been a best athlete available man."

The second link was a response to a hypothetical where Ngata is off the board. But you are consistent with your best available approach. I think it's important, though, to distinguish between the only-the-lines people on this board and the anything-but-another-receiver people.