Truth & Rumors on CNNSI

Marv wanted to bring in another QB who could compete for the job. Guys who can legitimately compete aren't going to come in here for $500,000.

614752[/snapback]

I'm more actually quibbling with the notion we should keep Holcomb, if Ramsey is indeed in the picture.

I'd rather draft a young, raw-but-talented hungry buck in the fourth and pay him peanuts.

No need to have both Bledsoe II and Noodle Arm on the roster.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. The Bills already have the two things you need. The long term starter and the proven veteran back-up. The third thing you need is the inexpensive 3 year project to develop. And if you say we don't know if we have the long term starter, while it may be true, we are going to find out by starting him long time. And if you divide up the QB duties by three, you're asking for disaster and ending up with none. The only way you get a guy, even a journeyman like Ramsey to sign is to give him a chance to start, which means taking reps in a new offense from your starter and your back-up. Holcomb is a pretty darn good back-up in this league. At a cheap price, for a few more years, with a back-up's attitude. The extra million dollars you would spend on ramsey just muddling things up could well be the difference between a better FA at a more important to fill position.

614753[/snapback]

I don't know if we really can consider JP a long time starter yet. That is the hope and the expectation but he has not yet proven that he is good enough...yet. I can see why Marv wants to develop a third option in case JP doesn't work out and given what is available, there are worse options than Ramsey. What I don't like is the idea of another QB controversey. Man, I miss the days when there was simply no question who our QB was. What a pain.

I live in the DC area and have watched this guy play a lot. He has only adequate arm strength, is sometimes erratic in accuracy, tends to panic and make bad decisions, and is not particualrly mobile. At times he can look great, and at other times attrocious. JP has far bigger upside at this point. Ramsey deserves a shot with a team that will commit to him, but absolutely needs a team with a pass protect first philosophy. Not worth a first rounder for the Bills as he provides no real upgrade.

expense doesn't really factor in. the bills are paying almost noting, comparatively speaking, for the qb position. ramsay comes really, really cheap, by the way. i also don't think levy and jauron think much of losman. no hard evidence -- just the vibe i've gotten from their rather elliptical comments.

614765[/snapback]

Levy last week on NFL Network started talking about all the great attributes of Losman and that he needs time. Then said something about, oh yeah, and Holcomb did an admirable job. Almost as an afterthought. I will guarantee you, baring injury, Losman will start.

I live in the DC area and have watched this guy play a lot.  He has only adequate arm strength, is sometimes erratic in accuracy, tends to panic and make bad decisions, and is not particualrly mobile.  At times he can look great, and at other times attrocious.  JP has far bigger upside at this point.  Ramsey deserves a shot with a team that will commit to him, but absolutely needs a team with a pass protect first philosophy.  Not worth a first rounder for the Bills as he provides no real upgrade.

614774[/snapback]

That's all I need to hear. Losman can actually help this team out for the time being in that he can run for his life while our (hopefully) developing line makes its mistakes.

This team hasn't been built for good pass protection since... God, I don't know when.

I don't know if we really can consider JP a long time starter yet.  That is the hope and the expectation but he has not yet proven that he is good enough...yet.  I can see why Marv wants to develop a third option in case JP doesn't work out and given what is available, there are worse options than Ramsey.  What I don't like is the idea of another QB controversey.  Man, I miss the days when there was simply no question who our QB was.  What a pain.

614772[/snapback]

That's the point of my post, he is going to be the starter for a while because you need to know if he is going to be the starter for awhile. by playing him. If you trade for Ramsey, what are they going to do in practice? Divide up the snaps between three guys? That's just foolish.

A lot of people are willing to give up on Coy Wire after 8 games.  How is that any dofferent?

614698[/snapback]

Ahh, the infamous, "a lot of people".

A lot of people liked Doug Flutie

A lot of people liked Rob Johnson

A lot of people didn't like either of them

Wow, I can really get into this "A lot of people" thing. One can pretty much use it anyway they want to prove anything they want!

That's the point of my post, he is going to be the starter for a while because you need to know if he is going to be the starter for awhile. by playing him. If you trade for Ramsey, what are they going to do in practice? Divide up the snaps between three guys? That's just foolish.

614780[/snapback]

This the inherent problem in adding any other QB to compete, isn't it?

Two is probably more than enough. I'm not saying Losman needs to be coddled, and I'm not saying he shouldn't have competition, but there should be at most a 1A and 1B, then a distant third guy who knows his place (woodbury, perhaps?).