Vernon Davis just ran high 4.3/low 4.4

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where you're going, and im hoping that this means ngata will fall to us too. But not with those two teams. The 49ers have Eric Johnson, when he's not injured he's right up there in the top 5 TE's, and Oakland has 6'7'' Courtney Anderson who they like a lot, especially in the red zone. Even though Davis ran those great numbers, i dont see oak or sf going for him. But i wish they did.

612846[/snapback]

I could see Al Davis selecting VD with #7. The thought of teaming a healthy Moss, Porter and the talented Gabriel with the likes of LaMont Jordan in the backfield would be difficult for 'ol Al to resist. Al looooooves the offensive side of the ball. If they ever improved their OL, yikes!

He's a TE. I don't think anyone would be lobbying to draft him if he were a WR.

612892[/snapback]

Actually, I think he'd be a sexier pick IMO if he were a WR. A 6'3 1/2", 260lb WR with a 42" vertical versus a 6'0" 200lb cornerback is one helluva a mismatch. He has the ability to go around, over or through many CBs.

I could see Al Davis selecting VD with #7. The thought of teaming a healthy Moss, Porter and the talented Gabriel with the likes of LaMont Jordan in the backfield would be difficult for 'ol Al to resist. Al looooooves the offensive side of the ball. If they ever improved their OL, yikes!

612914[/snapback]

I can see that happening too, remember when he jumped all over Rickey Dudley at #9. :D

Actually, I think he'd be a sexier pick IMO if he were a WR.  A 6'3 1/2", 260lb WR with a 42" vertical versus a 6'0" 200lb cornerback is one helluva a mismatch.  He has the ability to go around, over or through many CBs.

I don't see why it would make a difference. He's a gifted pass receiver and his size and speed numbers are off the chart! Plus he's got the size to help in the blocking department. I'd say as a TE he's SEXIER than a WR. In completely hetero terms, of course. :D

Actually, I think he'd be a sexier pick IMO if he were a WR.  A 6'3 1/2", 260lb WR with a 42" vertical versus a 6'0" 200lb cornerback is one helluva a mismatch.  He has the ability to go around, over or through many CBs.

612969[/snapback]

Perhaps. But the fact is that he is a TE, with the WR speed. So a team will be able to use him at both. You don't usually see a WR that is going to line up inside at TE however. He doesnt have the agility or the moves though to play WR full time as far as I know. But he could really be used in a lot of different ways with that combination.

Hell, why stop there. Why don't we line up Davis, Everett and Peters as two TEs and a wingback with just Evans. Then we could run or throw all day. :D

Perhaps. But the fact is that he is a TE, with the WR speed. So a team will be able to use him at both. You don't usually see a WR that is going to line up inside at TE however. He doesnt have the agility or the moves though to play WR full time as far as I know. But he could really be used in a lot of different ways with that combination.

Hell, why stop there. Why don't we line up Davis, Everett and Peters as two TEs and a wingback with just Evans. Then we could run or throw all day. :doh:

613025[/snapback]

Nice idea :D . That kind of versatility would be welcome by any team, regardless of what position he is technically listed at.

I guess the reason why I'd be intrigued by him at WR is b/c of what I've seen of him and the various reviews of him.

Here is the report from Scouts...

Strengths: A dynamic athlete. Has rare speed and athletic ability for his size. Shows explosive initial burst to get off the LOS and the top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. He will be a matchup weapon as a pass-catcher in the NFL. Shows a good feel for reading coverages. Is remarkably savvy in terms of setting up defenders in man-coverage and finding soft spots in zone. He shows burst out of his cuts and will consistently separate in one-on-one situations. He has terrific leaping ability and will make the acrobatic catch. He has soft and reliable hands. Shows upper body strength and power at the POA as a blocker. He continues to improve his technique and angles as a space blocker. He also is a workout warrior who set school strength records (in spring of 2005) for a TE in the bench press (460 pounds), power-clean (335 pounds), vertical jump (40 inches), squat (685 pounds) and 40-yard dash (4.41)

Weaknesses: Possesses below average height and speed. Is powerful but lacks a wide base to anchor as a blocker. Needs to improve his hand-usage, angles and overall technique as a blocker. May never develop into anything more than an H-back that needs to be protected as a blocker in space in the NFL.

One of the reasons you draft a guy like Vernon Davis IF he is that good (which he seems to be) even though TE is not your top priority is taking a look at the career of Nate Clements.

He was drafted #1 in 2001. We were terrible that year and needed help everywhere.

He was in year #2 in 2002. We were on team on the rise that year, a new QB, and a completely different roster and style of play than 2001.

He was in year #3 in 2003. We had a ton of hope going in and became a complete mess.

He was in year #4 in 2004. We had a whole new coaching staff and outlook and thought we were playoff bound and started terribly but ended 9-7 and full of hope for the next year.

He was in year #5 in 2005. We went from being the best defense ever and playoff bound to complete and utter collapse and one of the worst seasons in history.

Now we make Nate our franchise player and want to sign him to a long term deal because even through all that we still want him around for another five years.

The point is, obviously, you never know in year 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 10 what kind of team you're going to have, who will or won't be here, will or won't coach here. It changes drastically year to year. But you need good players and stars at as many positions as you can get.

Yeah, you say, but we have been neglecting our lines. And we surely need to upgrade our lines. But you need studs, and if there is no one at #8 who you think is going to be a stud at the position you want, you draft the stud that can make a difference.