Ngata and Tamba Hali

Stl Bills

As much as this whole event is about putting hundreds of prospects one step closer to the joy of fulfilling a dream of a lifetime, it also has served as an opportunity for some of them to publicly share the sorrow of tragedy they have encountered along the way. Take, for instance, former Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata (pronounced NAH-tah), widely projected as a top-10 pick. Only a few weeks ago, his mother, Olga, died after a long battle with diabetes. In 2002, his father, Solomone, was killed in a trucking accident. Ngata's decision to enter the draft as a junior was driven by the obligation he felt to help pay for his mother's treatment and to provide the primary support for his four siblings. Another defensive lineman with first-round potential, end Tamba Hali from Penn State, left his mother and sister behind after he fled Liberia's civil war at age 10 to move to the U.S. He told of how his mother, who filed emigration papers for her son after sneaking her children to the Ivory Coast, was once shot in the knee at the same time that several others around her were killed. "Sometimes you'd see a lot of people killed, sometimes maybe just a person,'' Hali said. "Sometimes you'd see a stack of bodies on the side of the road as you were walking.'' Hali eventually reunited with his father, who teaches at Fairleigh Dickinson University and Teaneck High School in New Jersey. Hali has applied for U.S. citizenship in an effort to bring his mother and sister, neither of whom he has seen in nearly 13 years, to this country.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as this whole event is about putting hundreds of prospects one step closer to the joy of fulfilling a dream of a lifetime, it also has served as an opportunity for some of them to publicly share the sorrow of tragedy they have encountered along the way. Take, for instance, former Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata (pronounced NAH-tah), widely projected as a top-10 pick. Only a few weeks ago, his mother, Olga, died after a long battle with diabetes. In 2002, his father, Solomone, was killed in a trucking accident. Ngata's decision to enter the draft as a junior was driven by the obligation he felt to help pay for his mother's treatment and to provide the primary support for his four siblings. Another defensive lineman with first-round potential, end Tamba Hali from Penn State, left his mother and sister behind after he fled Liberia's civil war at age 10 to move to the U.S. He told of how his mother, who filed emigration papers for her son after sneaking her children to the Ivory Coast, was once shot in the knee at the same time that several others around her were killed. "Sometimes you'd see a lot of people killed, sometimes maybe just a person,'' Hali said. "Sometimes you'd see a stack of bodies on the side of the road as you were walking.'' Hali eventually reunited with his father, who teaches at Fairleigh Dickinson University and Teaneck High School in New Jersey. Hali has applied for U.S. citizenship in an effort to bring his mother and sister, neither of whom he has seen in nearly 13 years, to this country.

611992[/snapback]

i think i saw this special on lifetime

i think i saw this special on lifetime

612008[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't realize that Lifetime was carrying football-oriented material now.

Or was that sarcasm and you're just one of those spoiled-rotten little pukes whose born-in privilege entitles them to make fun of those who've actually had to overcome greater difficulties than losing the remote. :rolleyes:

611992[/snapback]

Interesting stuff, thanks.

Wow, I didn't realize that Lifetime was carrying football-oriented material now.

Or was that sarcasm and you're just one of those spoiled-rotten little pukes whose born-in privilege entitles them to make fun of those who've actually had to overcome greater difficulties than losing the remote.  :D

612459[/snapback]

i'm a white kid living in the disgusting ghetto's of north philly, dont even begin to talk about not overcoming anything, you dont want this argument, you will lose. Thanks, try again with someone else who will let you speak your bull sh**. Sorry.

i'm a white kid living in the disgusting ghetto's of north philly, dont even begin to talk about not overcoming anything, you dont want this argument, you will lose. Thanks, try again with someone else who will let you speak your bull sh**. Sorry.

612832[/snapback]

Yer still an ass.

kj

612832[/snapback]

Awwwww, the white kid has to live in disgusting conditions. How will he ever manage to persevere? I guess by using his personal computer to rag on people who have bigger troubles than him.

Hey, I never had a computer when I was a self-important, snot-nosed, needle-dicked, bug-fu(king little punk. Gosh, how did I ever survive? :D

Awwwww, the white kid has to live in disgusting conditions. How will he ever manage to persevere? I guess by using his personal computer to rag on people who have bigger troubles than him.

Hey, I never had a computer when I was a self-important, snot-nosed, needle-dicked, bug-fu(king little punk. Gosh, how did I ever survive?  :D

613164[/snapback]

haha, man you're just digging yourself in deeper, im actually at the library because i dont have a computer that works. like i said you wont win, so try again. sorry.

haha, man you're just digging yourself in deeper, im actually at the library because i dont have a computer that works. like i said you wont win, so try again. sorry.

613169[/snapback]

You must be a poor homeless kid living at the library because all your posts come from there all day every day. And lookie, the library was even open at 3:00 in the morning when you posted from there the other night! You know, in that thread where you were talking about going to law school, and how you could do it by expending the least amount of effort possible?

Yeah, you've really got it tough. :D:doh::lol:

Cya

p.s. Don't bother wasting any more time spinning yarns because I'm not going to believe a word that comes out of your mouth.

You must be a poor homeless kid living at the library because all your posts come from there all day every day. And lookie, the library was even open at 3:00 in the morning when you posted from there the other night! You know, in that thread where you were talking about going to law school, and how you could do it by expending the least amount of effort possible?

Yeah, you've really got it tough.  :D  :doh:  :lol:

Cya

p.s. Don't bother wasting any more time spinning yarns because I'm not going to believe a word that comes out of your mouth.

613180[/snapback]

actually the library that i go to is open 24 hours of the day, so you're wrong about that too. sorry again. i also have breaks in between my classes that are too short to come home and too long to sit in my next class, that is why i go to this library that is open 24/7. so you're wrong again. sorry. you clearly need to go back to school in order to understand a simple post in which i was not talking about law school, but what i would do when i got out. so you're wrong again. sorry. And by the way i'll waste as much time as i want to making you look like an ass, i'd say im doing a pretty good job eh? damn im going to be a good lawyer.

Yeah, you've really got it tough.  :doh:  :lol:  :D

Cya

613180[/snapback]

btw simon, is that your daughter in your pic? she looks kinda cute :D:lol:

Would you believe me if I spin a few yarns?  :doh:

613184[/snapback]

You betcha. Spin away brother!-)

I'm sure you'd never make fun of less fortunate folks and then whine about how tough you have it.

Wahhhhhh, I'm in law school. I have such a tough life.

Kids these days. :D