These players must be released

Poeticlaw

I'd rather see Preston at C than G. It's unlikely the Bills will be able to get Bentley.

The Bills can still put Preston at C if they can't sign Bentley. But Villarrial needs to be replaced. Maybe sign Kendall or put Gandy at RG?

How will Evans respond to being the #1 guy? If he acts like Peerless, you can always acquire a Moulds-type guy later on. If his response is more like Steve Smith's, well, problem solved.

I don't know how he'll respond and I don't want to potentially tank the season trying to find out.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above guys, with the exception of BA, are on the wrong side of 30 and making a good amount of money.  Milloy I could see keeping, but not the rest, especially not Posey to be a backup.

608040[/snapback]

I'd keep Villarrial but would let Milloy go and draft a S in the draft and look for a cheaper alternative back up. I saw at Red Zone.org that Bracy Walker is due to be an UFA. He served as the Lions back up SS (see familar with Jauron's system) last year and could serve a similar role here if draft a guy like Greg Blue with one of our first day picks. Infact their back up FS is also a UFA and could be worth considering too if let go of Vincent and want some experience behind Rashad Baker.

I'd keep Villarrial but would let Milloy go and draft a S in the draft and look for a  cheaper alternative back up. I saw at Red Zone.org that Bracy Walker is due to be an UFA. He served as the Lions back up SS (see familar with Jauron's system) last year and could serve a similar role here if draft a guy like Greg Blue with one of our first day picks. Infact their back up FS is also a UFA and could be worth considering too if let go of Vincent and want some experience behind Rashad Baker.

608305[/snapback]

I would much rather have Marquand Manuel than Bracy Walker.

noo....

lets cut these guys.

Daimon Shelton, $1,131,160 hit, $768,840 savings ($6,160 dead cap)

Coy Wire -  $706,160 hit, $600,000 savings ($56,160 dead)

Ryan Neufeld, $672,826 hit, $510,000 savings ($90,000 dead)

Joe Burns, $566,160, $538,840 savings ($6,160 dead)

(If I'm understanding these numbers correctly)

Extra cap room = $3,076,306

Total Savings = $2,417,680

Dead = $158,480

And we lose a bunch of crappy players that were not doing anything anyways. Mike Williams does need to be cut, but cutting Moulds is among the dumbest things this team could do. A pox upon you for wanting to cut him. We've been through the logic 1000 times. After cutting Moulds you have $4 Mil to replace Moulds and still benefit. Which then raises the question, can you find talent equal to Moulds for $4 mil. The answer is, of course, no. This does not even factor his team leadership, history with the Bills, and fan love for him.

607921[/snapback]

I very much agree with this, especially in the specific wording (is that a word?) you used... :lol:

Not if they release (at a good portion of) the guys I mentioned.  The Bills were lousy with all of them, but with around $30M in cap room, could add a significant amount of talent.

608355[/snapback]

Not only that, but all the dead cap hit from cutting the dead weight falls off in 2007 (there will be a new agreement :lol: ) ... we'd be in much better shape for the future.

Not if they release (at a good portion of) the guys I mentioned.  The Bills were lousy with all of them, but with around $30M in cap room, could add a significant amount of talent.

608355[/snapback]

It depends on how much of that free cap space can be used to get the free agents you want. Sure, if Buffalo was the only place free agents could sign with, $30 million of cap space could easily translate into a winning team. But some players will take less money to be with a team that's better than 5-11, while others might be re-signed by their current teams before free agency starts. So yeah, if the Bills did sign those guys, things would look good. I just don't know how many of them we'll be able to really get.

The Bills are eight proven players away from having nine proven players on the lines. Even assuming the best with regards to Preston and Peters, you're still not looking at a trenches situation that's much better than an expansion team's. Add to that the fact the Bills' safeties are over the hill, and that it's unknown if Takeo will fully recover. The offense has its share of questions marks too. Can Lee Evans be a #1? Is Roscoe Parrish going to work out? Will Willis bounce back from his slump? Can the Bills ever get production from the TE position? Will Losman be the QB TD hoped for when he drafted him?

If you were a year or two into building up an expansion franchise, I'd expect to see a situation about equal to where the Bills are at right now.

Mark Campbell TE $1,537,500  $1,300,000

DEAD Cap $237,500

607911[/snapback]

Ok I've thought about it, and I agree that we should cut Cambell. Cutting him plus the others I've listed earlier saves about 4+ mil against the cap, leaving us with over 10 mil in cap room to mess with. Add to that the ever painful casualty of cutting Mike Williams and we have 15 mil to mess with.

5 of that is used by clements, 5 towards rookies. ..

eeee.. 5 mil left to sign o-line and d-line free agents.. :lol:

but then I realize we have like 15 guys on the team such as Tai Tupai who make 300,000 against the cap. when those guys are cut we will roughly have about 9 mil in cap room which I think is plenty of room to sign 3-4 big guys. 3-4 big free agents + the drafting of Ngata and such will leave this team in a fairly good position.

Anyone think this all sounds unreasonable.

Lol, you'd need too. With all of those cuts there is nobody left on the team. :lol:

>Milloy-$2,500,000

don't do it.. he's not a bad SS and finding a replacement is not easy. We've got too many other worries to have to develop a guy here, when we have one that isn't that bad.

>Villarrial-$1,781,250

Maybe, depend on if Mac thinks he can start or not

>Posey-$1,750,000

for the money it costs to cut him I'd rather just keep him on as a backup. Injury happens and he's a serviceable replacement

Campbell-$1,000,000

>maybe, dunno if its worth the cap hit, he's not a bad TE

>B. Anderson-$893,840

yeah. a descent sized cap hit, but the guys does suck

608037[/snapback]

Milloy can't cover anyone. He is a huge liability in pass defense.

but then I realize we have like 15 guys on the team such as Tai Tupai who make 300,000 against the cap. when those guys are cut we will roughly have about 9 mil in cap room

608665[/snapback]

This isn't true. The way the cap works, only your most highly paid 48 players (or whatever the relevant number is) count against the cap. So getting rid of the Tai Tupais of the roster won't save cap space.

No, HERE is who needs to be released, assuming he doesn't take a massive paycut (cap savings per Clump):

Williams-$4,907,098

Moulds-$4,522,334

Milloy-$2,500,000

Villarrial-$1,781,250

Posey-$1,750,000

Campbell-$1,000,000

B. Anderson-$893,840

Shelton-$768,840

Neufeld-$672,826

Wire-$600,000

Burns-$538,840

That's a cap savings of $19,935,028!  Add that to the $6,474,477M Clumpy says the Bills will be under (based on a cap of $93,500,000), and it's $26,409,505 (give or take a dollar) they could be under the cap!

But wait, there are guys like Fletcher ($4,900,000 cap hit), Schobel ($4,566,666) Adams ($3,875,000), Evans ($2,280,065), and Gandy ($1,955,000) who they can and SHOULD restructure, to free-up another $3M or so.

Think almost $30M would be enough money to get new FA's?

608021[/snapback]

1st, what would you rather have, 5 million in the bank to spend on no one or have 2-3 million and have a player that was our best WR last year. not a huge difference between saving 5 million and saving 2-3 million, when you are talking in the 20 millions.

Regardless keep Moulds, he is a leader, yes he complains, some leaders do that. He is still the face of the bills to me. Marv loves him, and there are no replacements out there, that we can ensure will sign with us

Restructuring Schobel? Did you think his Pro bowl type season wasn't good enough, compared to what we are paying other players on this team he is a steal. I'd sign his brother as a bonus to him. While I would have to agree about Fletcher, I think we can extend his contract.