Clayton on ESPN radio....

Buftex

I know, the "professor sucks", but any football news is worth reporting...

QB talk, according to Clayton:

Brett Favre- his return may hinge on the new CBA agreement. If the leauge has a season without a salary cap, the Packers could be "players" in FA. If not, he would likely retire, as the team is pretty crappy as it is constituted right now.

Daunte Culppeper- may vey well get cut on March 3rd.

Chad Pennington- another likely candidate to be cut. The Jets want him to take an 8million dollar pay cut. He is balking. An incentive based contract is apparently, out of the question, for Pennington and his agent. Jets are in big salary cap trouble. They will likely franchise John Abraham, and then try to trade him....

Kerry Collins- Art Shell wants to keep him. Apparently, cutting him would cost too much money (if there is a salary cap), and they have nobody in the wings to take the next stop....Clayton cited the Bills/Bledsoe debacle, as an example of a team that appeared on the upswing, making a bold move that blew up in their face. Apparently, Clayton didn't watch the Raiders. They are awful, other than money, what would they have to lose in cutting Collins, unless they think he can play? (I ask!)

Drew Brees- Up until now, I had dismissed "maybe we can get Drew Brees" talk, because I thought it would never happen. However, according to Clayton, if the Chargers make him a franchise, or transition player, most of his salary would become guranteed. They can't afford that. The Chargers will make a big push to sign Brees to a new deal before March 3rd, but if they can't, they would likely cut him!

(My two cents) I like Brees a lot, but I have a hunch he will work something out with San Diego. I think he is a warm weather guy. It may be a case of being a good fit for him, as much as him being good for the Chargers. The Chargers could trade Rivers, but they would look stupid (stupider?), and would likely not get near as much for him as they might have last season. Outside the Bills, this will be one of the more interesting situations to watch over the next few weeks....

Drew Brees- Up until now, I had dismissed "maybe we can get Drew Brees" talk, because I thought it would never happen.  However, according to Clayton, if the Chargers make him a franchise, or transition player, most of his salary would become guranteed. They can't afford that. The Chargers will make a big push to sign Brees to a new deal before March 3rd, but if they can't, they would likely cut him! 

(My two cents) I like Brees a lot, but I have a hunch he will work something out with San Diego.  I think he is a warm weather guy.  It may be a case of being a good fit for him, as much as him being good for the Chargers.  The Chargers could trade Rivers, but they would look stupid (stupider?), and would likely not get near as much for him as they might have last season.  Outside the Bills, this will be one of the more interesting situations to watch over the next few weeks....

606144[/snapback]

Brees got screwed a bit by being franchised last year. If he went out on the open market last year he would have received a nice fat contract with a big signing bonus. He still got paid something in the neighborhood of $8M last year, but he ended up hurt at the end of the year and when exactly he will be 100% is not known.

That being said, I doubt the Bills can afford his services especially since it is a big question mark as to when he'll be ready to play. Someone will still pay him, and pay him well. I can see Miami, Oakland, or Tennessee making a play for him.

Brees got screwed a bit by being franchised last year. If he went out on the open market last year he would have received a nice fat contract with a big signing bonus. He still got paid something in the neighborhood of $8M last year, but he ended up hurt at the end of the year and when exactly he will be 100% is not known.

That being said, I doubt the Bills can afford his services especially since it is a big question mark as to when he'll be ready to play. Someone will still pay him, and pay him well. I can see Miami, Oakland, or Tennessee making a play for him.

606153[/snapback]

The Chargers screwed themselves- if they were patient, they wouldn't have drafted Rivers. It takes patience to win- those that are impatient are losers

The Chargers screwed themselves- if they were patient, they wouldn't have drafted Rivers. It takes patience to win- those that are impatient are losers

606165[/snapback]

Then let's just say that Rivers is the only one who made out in this deal.

How exactly did Brees get screwed last year being franchised and paid 8 million? He got paid the 33rd best contract as a rookie and barely played. He played terribly for two more full years and still got paid. Cost the Chargers about 50 million because they couldn't count on him, and then was another player's holdout away from being a major bust, who, if now on the FA market would not be offered more than a couple million?

How exactly did Brees get screwed last year being franchised and paid 8 million? He got paid the 33rd best contract as a rookie and barely played. He played terribly for two more full years and still got paid. Cost the Chargers about 50 million because they couldn't count on him, and then was another player's holdout away from being a  major bust, who, if now on the FA market would not be offered more than a couple million?

606172[/snapback]

Last year he could have gotten that $9-18M range in signing bonus alone. That is were he missed out. If SD didn't tag him he would have been in demand. He got less than he would have last year and he got hurt in the mean time. Just like Jevon Walker, his value went down over the last year because of the injuries and hence the unknown factor in their true readiness for next year.

What happened his first couple of years and what he was paid then means nothing about what he may have gotten on the open market last year. He was a hot commodity last year and he would have attracted a lot of interest in FA. Hence he would have been paid more than he made with the Chargers.

How exactly did Brees get screwed last year being franchised and paid 8 million? He got paid the 33rd best contract as a rookie and barely played. He played terribly for two more full years and still got paid. Cost the Chargers about 50 million because they couldn't count on him, and then was another player's holdout away from being a  major bust, who, if now on the FA market would not be offered more than a couple million?

606172[/snapback]

Yes, he took time to develope...that piss poor bastard! How dare he not come out of the gates as a potential MVP.

Yes, he took time to develope...that piss poor bastard!  How dare he not come out of the gates as a potential MVP.

606183[/snapback]

The point isn't that he needed time to develop. Most players do. The point is that some posts above were inferring that Brees got screwed by being only paid 8 million last year and didnt get a chance at a huge contract. And I responded that he got paid quite well for not performing three years, so to me, it seems like it was pretty fair in the long run. And if Phillip Rivers wasnt so greedy, Brees may not have seen the field two years ago, and wouldnt be worth much now on the open market. Would you like to argue that Drew Brees got screwed out of a huge contract?

Last year he could have gotten that $9-18M range in signing bonus alone. That is were he missed out. If SD didn't tag him he would have been in demand. He got less than he would have last year and he got hurt in the mean time. Just like Jevon Walker, his value went down over the last year because of the injuries and hence the unknown factor in their true readiness for next year.

What happened his first couple of years and what he was paid then means nothing about what he may have gotten on the open market last year. He was a hot commodity last year and he would have attracted a lot of interest in FA. Hence he would have been paid more than he made with the Chargers.

606180[/snapback]

And if Phillip Rivers wasn't so greedy and holdout, Drew Brees may never have made more than a few million total. I just don't see that as being screwed. He was overpaid for three full years, underpaid for one year and paid 8 million last year. Then he got hurt. I simply don't see that as being screwed. He was lucky Rivers held out and he was unlucky he hurt his shoulder. Seems like it evened out. And he came away with what, 13-14 million for two good years and three bad ones.

And if Phillip Rivers wasn't so greedy and holdout, Drew Brees may never have made more than a few million total. I just don't see that as being screwed. He was overpaid for three full years, underpaid for one year and paid 8 million last year. Then he got hurt. I simply don't see that as being screwed. He was lucky Rivers held out and he was unlucky he hurt his shoulder. Seems like it evened out. And he came away with what, 13-14 million for two good years and three bad ones.

606197[/snapback]

I'm not talking about Karma here. I never said that Brees hasn't been well compensated over his NFL career. I said, plain and simple, he lost out last year. San Diego got another year out of Brees at a bargain of $8M while they made a legitimate run at the SB with him at the helm as oppossed to the unproven Rivers.

(My two cents) I like Brees a lot, but I have a hunch he will work something out with San Diego.  I think he is a warm weather guy.  It may be a case of being a good fit for him, as much as him being good for the Chargers.  The Chargers could trade Rivers, but they would look stupid (stupider?), and would likely not get near as much for him as they might have last season.  Outside the Bills, this will be one of the more interesting situations to watch over the next few weeks....

606144[/snapback]

Drew Brees played college ball at Purdue. Thats about 2 hours from Notre Dame where I am and this is the most God-awful snowy and cold weather in the world. He is not a warm weather QB

I'm not talking about Karma here. I never said that Brees hasn't been well compensated over his NFL career. I said, plain and simple, he lost out last year. San Diego got another year out of Brees at a bargain of $8M while they made a legitimate run at the SB with him at the helm as oppossed to the unproven Rivers.

606207[/snapback]

Fair enough. I see what you're saying. We just don't agree. But I know you're with me on this one: Don't ya think Mike Williams got screwed on the Bills for 2004 though? I mean, seriously, he only made $486,250 in salary total that year and he had a pretty damn good year, and we were one crappy GM away from making a Super Bowl run. If the Bills would have cut him like like they're going to now, he would have made millions on the open market. Man, that guy got screwed two years ago. :P

Drew Brees played college ball at Purdue. Thats about 2 hours from Notre Dame where I am and this is the most God-awful snowy and cold weather in the world. He is not a warm weather QB

606210[/snapback]

Yeah, he is from Austin, where I live, played high school ball just a few blocks away from me.

I didn't explain myself well, I didn't mean he can't play well in cold weather, just that he is somebody who would likely opt to play somewhere warm. I usually over explain myself in my posts, I was trying not to be so wordy...I followed his career at Purdue, and yeah, he can play in the cold....

This seems like a dispute over semantics rather than reality.

If one judges making "only $8-9 million dollars in salary as being "screwed" when under other circumstances you could have received a roughly $18 million bonus payment in a bonus prorated over the life of the contract then he got screwed.

However if one is going to chose this terminology then one should also recognize that almost all people would be very happy with life if it screwed them in this way.

Brees had the chance to make way way too much money for playing a boys game taken away from him. Thus he only made way too much money instead of way way too much money.

I think a better word to use to truly reflect this situation is rather than terming Brees as being screwed instead it is prorbably more accurate to say he was marginally disadvantaged by a fair application of the rules. Since he got hurt this margin is a significant one, and that should not be ignored. However, it is simply hard for many folks to call someone "only" getting $8 million in a one year salary as being screwed.

He probably hopes he gets screwed again and again like this.

Drew Brees- Up until now, I had dismissed "maybe we can get Drew Brees" talk, because I thought it would never happen.  However, according to Clayton, if the Chargers make him a franchise, or transition player, most of his salary would become guranteed. They can't afford that. The Chargers will make a big push to sign Brees to a new deal before March 3rd, but if they can't, they would likely cut him! 

606144[/snapback]

although i think Brees is a good QB, I think he wouldn't have much success on this line. Brees made a lot of great throws last year but he had the protection he needed plus a solid running game and a #1 target in Gates.

although i think Brees is a good QB, I think he wouldn't have much success on this line.  Brees made a lot of great throws last year but he had the protection he needed plus a solid running game and a #1 target in Gates.

606245[/snapback]

I agree....however, I am holding out hope that the new "Ol' Whitey" will take solid (ie successful) steps toward shoring up the offensive line. I am not sure that McGahee could be the great all around player that LT is, but I think the line was a big part of his problem this past season.

I would love to see the Bills offense incorporate more passes to the RB's. The offense that the Rams have run the last 5 years or so, was so successful, because, in his prime, Marshall Faulk was a very good receiver out of the backfield, ala Thurman.

You got me on the tight end thing. The Bills haven't had a good one since Metzelaars. I had a very good feeling about Kevin Everett when the Bills drafted him. A Miami Hurricanes buddy of mine, who works with that program, told me that he has the potential to be a Gates type, but he needs more experience. Hopefully the lost rookie season won't cause his development to be delayed too much.

Clayton seemed to think that the Dolphins (in pretty good financial shape) would likely pursue Brees or Culpepper. I know that a lot of people assume Denny Green would go after Culpepper (he would seem to be a good fit in Arizona, with their outstanding receivers), but they just signed Kurt Warner to a three year deal. I know that deal is set up, likely, where Warner gets all of the guranateed money up front, and cut after a year or two, but you would assume the Cardnals would have waited to see what happened with Culpepper, before extending Warner, if they were truly interested.

I wish I could get screwed like that!

If Clayton said that the Chargers would cut Brees, then he doesn't know what he is talking about. Unless the Chargers use the Franchise or Transition Tag, Brees will become a free agent and they won't be in the position to "cut" him. That tag will also cost them at least 20% more than they paid him last year, which is in the $10 M range.

Here's what Clayton actually said:

The Chargers have all but ruled out the possibility of placing the franchise or transition tag on quarterback Drew Brees, leaving them only two options: signing him to a new contract or letting him hit the free-agent market.

Options narrow as Chargers rule out tagging Brees

If Clayton said that the Chargers would cut Brees, then he doesn't know what he is talking about. Unless the Chargers use the Franchise or Transition Tag, Brees will become a free agent and they won't be in the position to "cut" him. That tag will also cost them at least 20% more than they paid him last year, which is in the $10 M range.

606381[/snapback]

Sorry, semantics again. Basically, unless Brees agrees to a new deal, the Chargers will let him become a free agent (sorry I said "cut"). It seems to come down to how badly Brees wants to stay in SD. With his injury, he doesn't likely get the top dollar he would have, from any team. If Brees got "screwed" by anyone, it was Marty, for having him start in a meaningless game to end the season...