Bills Digest

Stl Bills

So about a month ago I signed up as an official Bills Backer and today I got my free issue of Bills Digest, it is terrible. I almost subscibed but now I'm glad I didn't.

Check out this 2006 Draft analysis (and it's current March 2006 issue)

Top Offensive Tackles

1.Eric Winston-Miami

2.DaBrickashaw Ferguson-UVA

3.Marcus McNeil-Auburn

From every account I've read DaBrick is a top five pick while Winston is projected anywhere from a late first rounder-early second day pick. And what about that tackle from USC, he's not even mentioned but might be the second OT taken.

Top DT

1.Roderick Wright

2.Anthony Montgomery

3.Kyle Williams

Ngata isn't mentioned even though he might be the only DT taken in the first round and he's probably going to be our pick at #8 overall. Most places have Gabe Watson and that kid from FSU rated as the 2nd and 3rd best DTs in the draft and they aren't mentioned either (although I think Watson might as well have bust written across his forhead).

Whats up with that?

They all are seniors but never once does the article mention that it is exclusive to seniors. In fact the title of the article is: Mining the Draft for Talent: A look at the top players the Bills could find at their greatest positions of need. It then refers to us having the eighth pick and 4 day one picks. Russ Lande, former NFL scout and publisher of GM Jr. NFL Draft Guide is the one made the lists, they just don't make any sense. Page 27 in this months Bills Digest.

Back in the early 90's (1991 to be exact), I began my subscription to Shout. I thoroughly enjoyed it for years. Sometime around 1993, I began to frequently receive it after the upcoming highlighted game was already played. Instead of receiving it consistently on a Thursday or Friday, it frequently showed up on Monday. Yet, It was still worth it's cost.

By the late 90's I thought the quality had begun to drop. It ws shorter with less articles, yet I perservered. Then the great albino devil came to town and shortly thereafter, the magazine was changed to Bills Digest. Despite the mostly solid articles by Chris Brown, it contained less information than ever before, the draft issues stunk, and frankly it wasn't even worth reading even if it was free. The internet became a better, more timely source of info and when copuled with the considerable decline in the quality of the printed weekly, it died offically last year for me.

This my friends, was officially killed by the albino devil in this fans eyes. I believe his paranoid control over information about the Bills sped up this once proud magazine's death. Yeah, I blame him for this loss as well as all the others that have been well written about on this board.

I don;'t care who writes the crap, who pays for it.

My father got me a subscription and the service was so pitiful, they failed to send me over 1/2 of the issues. The news you read is too old to be of any use by the time you read it as well

The internet became a better, more timely source of info and when copuled with the considerable decline in the quality of the printed weekly

605432[/snapback]

That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I subscribed to SHOUT when living in California and I loved it. Then it came later and later and later. Meanwhile this wonderful thing called the internet (invented by the beloved Algore with an assist from Chuck Norris) came into my life. I gave up on SHOUT, never received Digest except for the free copies, and have never looked back.

Back in the early 90's (1991 to be exact), I began my subscription to Shout. I thoroughly enjoyed it for years. Sometime around 1993, I began to frequently receive it after the upcoming highlighted game was already played. Instead of receiving it consistently on a Thursday or Friday, it frequently showed up on Monday. Yet, It was still worth it's cost.

By the late 90's I thought the quality had begun to drop. It ws shorter with less articles, yet I perservered. Then the great albino devil came to town and shortly thereafter, the magazine was changed to Bills Digest. Despite the mostly solid articles by Chris Brown, it contained less information than ever before, the draft issues stunk, and frankly it wasn't even worth reading even if it was free. The internet became a better, more timely source of info and when copuled with the considerable decline in the quality of the printed weekly, it died offically last year for me.

This my friends, was officially killed by the albino devil in this fans eyes. I believe his paranoid control over information about the Bills sped up this once proud magazine's death.  Yeah, I blame him for this loss as well as all the others that have been well written about on this board.

605432[/snapback]

Or just maybe... the rapid growth of internet subscribers in the mid-late 90's had something to do with it.

The vast amount of info available free and instantly via the web made mailed-out weekly publications like Shout obsolete.

I know from personal experience and several conversations with the people at SHOUT!, that they were frustrated with the service provided by the postal service.

There were times when I'd receive it weeks after the mailing date. Where it traveled to during those weeks is anybodies guess. Sometimes it didn't show up at all.

Trust me - Tom Donahoe had more important things to deal with than shutting down SHOUT!

These conspiracy theories kill me. Buffalo should be known as the City of Mass Paranoia.

How old is that?  Winston prior to his  injury was expected and was better then D'Brick.  However, while he is still good he is not as dominate as he once was.

605506[/snapback]

It's the March 2006 issue <_<

I don't waste my time with Bills Digest anymore and have let my subscription lapse. It did nothing for me. Even Shout towards the end lost what it had, IMO. I can get all of my Bills news and analysis online.

I always enjoy reading a newspaper, but since Bills Digest is all that is out there and it sucks, then I am forced to get everything online.

I always enjoy reading a newspaper, but since Bills Digest is all that is out there and it sucks, then I am forced to get everything online.

605570[/snapback]

The internet is fine, but when you have to spend some time reflecting on what you ate yesterday there's nothing better than the paper.

The vast amount of info available free and instantly via the web made mailed-out weekly publications like Shout obsolete.

Sports Illustrated has managed to remain relevant as a weekly publication despite the internet. In fact, I think its better than ever.

Sports Illustrated has managed to remain relevant as a weekly publication  despite the internet.  In fact, I think its better than ever.

605675[/snapback]

About the only time I read a copy is in a doctor's office, but I agree - the various article writers across the sports are good writers, with fine use of words, informative, and a good, easy-reading pace.

It's a quality publication. I suspect the folks penning the articles would do well in other writing tasks outside of sports.

Sports Illustrated has managed to remain relevant as a weekly publication  despite the internet.  In fact, I think its better than ever.

605675[/snapback]

Yeah, I figured eventually somebody would make that case, but the difference is that the in-season SHOUT! were somewhat time-bound, with previews, reviews, and so forth. When it arrives 3 weeks after the game it's commenting on, it's fairly irrelevant.

Sports illustrated is better defined by it's feature columns and profiles which don't rely as heavily on time constraints.

The other HUGE disadvantage SHOUT would have when compared to SI, is that they're serving a relatively small niche market.

About the only time I read a copy is in a doctor's office, but I agree - the various article writers across the sports are good writers, with fine use of words, informative, and a good, easy-reading pace.

It's a quality publication. I suspect the folks penning the articles would do well in other writing tasks outside of sports.

The articles are actually quite spectacular if you are a sports fan. Some of them just make you stop and pause. You really can not get that quality of writing on the net. I've had the subscription for almost 20 years and even tho its expensive, I would not even consider cancelling it.

ESPN the magazine, however, is awful. I was a charter subscriber and after about 2 years the magazine really startyed to go downhill. They are a bi-weekly, and reasonably cheap ($22/year), which is the only reason I haven't canceled it yet.

Yeah, I figured eventually somebody would make that case, but the difference is that the in-season SHOUT! were somewhat time-bound, with previews, reviews, and so forth. When it arrives 3 weeks after the game it's commenting on, it's fairly irrelevant.

Yes, but they could have made it more relevant by not being so much about the upcoming game, but about strategy, players and coaches etc.

The other HUGE disadvantage SHOUT would have when compared to SI, is that they're serving a relatively small niche market.

I'd consider that a big ADVANTAGE, a rabid market that if you produce something at least decent, it will be snapped up no questions asked.