This just in...

Mickey

Cheney continues to refuse to be interviewed by the media about his having shot Harry Whittington in the face and instead is going to be interviewed on Fox.

Originally he planned to subject himself to a no holds barred interview to be conducted by his wife but he ultimately decided no to risk it and opted for the friendlier folks over at FOX.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheney continues to refuse to be interviewed by the media about his having shot Harry Whittington in the face and instead is going to be interviewed on Fox.

603896[/snapback]

In a related story, David Gregory has tripled in size and his skin has turned green. He was last heard shouting "GREGORY....SMASH...." before storming off. Witnesses said his pants remained intact and that Scott McClellan looked flustered by the whole thing.

Does "the media" by definition only include people hostile to the Bush administration? Are people surprised his first interview is with someone who isn't out to get him?

You know what the only thing is that really bothers me about this incident?

When you take into account Cheney's weak ticker and his carelessness with firearms, it's really frightening to realize that we're just one heartbeat away from George Bush running this country. :devil:

Originally he planned to subject himself to a no holds barred interview to be conducted by his wife but he ultimately decided no to risk it and opted for the friendlier folks over at FOX.

603896[/snapback]

I fail to see the need to interview Cheney at ALL, frankly.

Though I find your statement to the effect of Fox not being part of the media amusing...

603896[/snapback]

The way the majority of the media treats him...can you really blame him?

In a related story, David Gregory has tripled in size and his skin has turned green.  He was last heard shouting "GREGORY....SMASH...." before storming off.  Witnesses said his pants remained intact and that Scott McClellan looked flustered by the whole thing.

Does "the media" by definition only include people hostile to the Bush administration?  Are people surprised his first interview is with someone who isn't out to get him?

603905[/snapback]

If by "hostile" you mean, "not willing to mop the sweat off of their scrotums", then yes, "media" only includes those "hostile" to the Bush administration. This may come as a surprise to you but adversarial interviews usually pull out a lot more truth than the ball washing kind.

If by "hostile" you mean, "not willing to mop the sweat off of their scrotums", then yes, "media" only includes those "hostile" to the Bush administration.  This may come as a surprise to you but adversarial interviews usually pull out a lot more truth than the ball washing kind.

603996[/snapback]

This may come as a surprise to you, but interviews in general pull out whatever "truth" the interviewer is aiming to find. That's as true of adverserial CNN as it is of ball-washing Fox.

And...what truth??? Is there some other "truth" we're looking for above and beyond "it was a !@#$ing hunting accident"? You think if Cheney goes on CNN instead of Fox, Larry King's going to get him to blurt out "Yeah, I shot the bastard! And I'd do it again! !@#$ing B word owes me money!"

I fail to see the need to interview Cheney at ALL, frankly. 

Though I find your statement to the effect of Fox not being part of the media amusing...

603952[/snapback]

No legal need obviously but from a political standpoint, its probably a pretty good idea. I don't think stories like this go away on their own. They have a beginning, a middle and an end. The longer he stalls on making a public statement, the longer it takes to get to the middle part and closer to the end part.

You think if Cheney goes on CNN instead of Fox, Larry King's going to get him to blurt out "Yeah, I shot the bastard! And I'd do it again! !@#$ing B word owes me money!"

:devil:

Now that I could understand.........

No legal need obviously but from a political standpoint, its probably a pretty good idea.  I don't think stories like this go away on their own.  They have a beginning, a middle and an end.  The longer he stalls on making a public statement, the longer it takes to get to the middle part and closer to the end part.

604006[/snapback]

Very true...as usual, the administration's handled this clumsily and stupidly. But if hunting accidents are major national news items, how come they've never been before or since? And if events on the VP's hunting outings are major news - or even have the potential to be major news - why don't the reporters do their jobs and report the news, rather than just wait to be told what it is?

On second thought...maybe that last one's not such a good idea. Imagine how many hunting accidents there'd be if reporters followed Cheney around on a quail hunt...

This may come as a surprise to you, but interviews in general pull out whatever "truth" the interviewer is aiming to find.  That's as true of adverserial CNN as it is of ball-washing Fox.

And...what truth???  Is there some other "truth" we're looking for above and beyond "it was a !@#$ing hunting accident"?  You think if Cheney goes on CNN instead of Fox, Larry King's going to get him to blurt out "Yeah, I shot the bastard!  And I'd do it again!  !@#$ing B word owes me money!"

604003[/snapback]

Little things, like, "had you had any alcoholic beverages in the 24 hour period leading up to the incident"? Or maybe something along the lines of "Were you taking any medications which effected your ability to tell the difference between a 78 year old man and a 10 ounce bird? Questions like that.

There are only two ways of questioning a witness, direct examination and cross examination. Inadequate tools though they may be in terms of finding out the truth, they are often all we have. As between the two, hostile or adversarial cross examination is my preference. Its what the media should always do. We hear enough self serving spin from sycophants and shills as it is.

This may come as a surprise to you, but interviews in general pull out whatever "truth" the interviewer is aiming to find.  That's as true of adverserial CNN as it is of ball-washing Fox.

And...what truth???  Is there some other "truth" we're looking for above and beyond "it was a !@#$ing hunting accident"?  You think if Cheney goes on CNN instead of Fox, Larry King's going to get him to blurt out "Yeah, I shot the bastard!  And I'd do it again!  !@#$ing B word owes me money!"

604003[/snapback]

Oh no, you have gone over the edge, given the ball liking the last 5 years by everyone in the media, including CBS and Lou Dobbs, Gregory is refreshing. Having a little saliva withdrawl?

Finally, someone at a network who is somewhat intellgent and not kissing this Administration's backside.

Fox and to a lesser extent CNN generally fall into the entertainment category of right wing media, now that Ted divorced Jane and no longer has control. Neither one should be mistaken for News Channels.

Very true...as usual, the administration's handled this clumsily and stupidly.  But if hunting accidents are major national news items, how come they've never been before or since?  And if events on the VP's hunting outings are major news - or even have the potential to be major news - why don't the reporters do their jobs and report the news, rather than just wait to be told what it is?

On second thought...maybe that last one's not such a good idea.  Imagine how many hunting accidents there'd be if reporters followed Cheney around on a quail hunt...

604017[/snapback]

That'd be a hunt to televise on ESPN.

You know what the only thing is that really bothers me about this incident?

When you take into account Cheney's weak ticker and his carelessness with firearms, it's really frightening to realize that we're just one heartbeat away from George Bush running this country.  :devil:

603941[/snapback]

Whoa, I just go the chills.

Little things, like, "had you had any alcoholic beverages in the 24 hour period leading up to the incident"?  Or maybe something along the lines of "Were you taking any medications which effected your ability to tell the difference between a 78 year old man and a 10 ounce bird?  Questions like that.

All the job of detectives (you know, law enforcement), not "journalists."

There are only two ways of questioning a witness, direct examination and cross examination.  Inadequate tools though they may be in terms of finding out the truth, they are often all we have.  As between the two, hostile or adversarial cross examination is my preference. 

What are the chances he is going to open up to people he knows are out to get him?

Its what the media should always do.  We hear enough self serving spin from sycophants and shills as it is.

604018[/snapback]

We are talking about the media who needs information spoon-fed to them, right?