Jason Peters

Frez

What kind of contract offer does Jason Peters deserve?

4 years 10 million?

601250[/snapback]

Great question Frez. Truthfully, I am not sure if JP would accept the offer that you suggest.

I suspect that JP will be given a shot at LT in 06. Agents are well aware of the big bucks that this position commands. As Bills fans, we saw first hand how fast Jennings was scooped up for huge dollars.

Anyway, to answer your question, if it were up to me I would give JP a 4 year/10 mil. contract right this second.

From the good site of Billsdaily.com

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

These players have no bargaining power and will remain with the Bills if they want them.

CB Jabari Greer - Not much depth at corner, likely to get qualifying offer.

OT Jason Peters - Team will look for longterm deal.

WR Jonathan Smith - He's a playmaker. Tender will be made.

OL Lawrence Smith - Injured player will likley not get tendered.

RB Shaud Williams - Will definitely be tendered an offer.

What kind of deal does he have right now with us?

From the good site of Billsdaily.com

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

These players have no bargaining power and will remain with the Bills if they want them.

CB Jabari Greer - Not much depth at corner, likely to get qualifying offer.

OT Jason Peters - Team will look for longterm deal.

WR Jonathan Smith - He's a playmaker. Tender will be made.

OL Lawrence Smith - Injured player will likley not get tendered.

RB Shaud Williams - Will definitely be tendered an offer.

What kind of deal does he have right now with us?

601297[/snapback]

I'm sure its an insanely cheap one since he's still on an UDFA contract.

Bear in mind, that w/ the Exclusive Rights FA, we only have the ability to 'lock' them in for 1 year, after which they become Unrestricted, so he DOES have some bargaining power in that he can choose to sign only for 1 year.

WRT how much he's worth, AFAIC he hasn't proven anything yet so I would think it imprudent to give him a large SB. I wouldn't give him more than $3m up front tops, and preferably around $2m. Let his salaries escalate so that if he is good, we pay him decent coin.

I'd go for something like 4 yrs, $2m SB, w/ salaries of maybe $500k, $2m, $4m, $5m.

I guess that works out to $13.5m, but the big factor is how it's structured.

Great question Frez. Truthfully, I am not sure if JP would accept the offer that you suggest.

I suspect that JP will be given a shot at LT in 06. Agents are well aware of the big bucks that this position commands. As Bills fans, we saw first hand how fast Jennings was scooped up for huge dollars.

Anyway, to answer your question, if it were up to me I would give JP a 4 year/10 mil. contract right this second.

601285[/snapback]

Am I the only one that thinks that putting him at an OL position is a huge waste of his talent/athleticism? Not to say that I wouldn't love to have an athletic OT, but I would love to see him made into the everydown TE.. use him much the same way the Redskins of the 80's used their TE (as a 6th Offensive Lineman.) Turn this into the power running team this team was supposed to be under Mularky.

Am I the only one that thinks that putting him at an OL position is a huge waste of his talent/athleticism? Not to say that I wouldn't love to have an athletic OT, but I would love to see him made into the everydown TE.. use him much the same way  the Redskins of the 80's used their TE (as a 6th Offensive Lineman.) Turn this into the power running team this team was supposed to be under Mularky.

601317[/snapback]

You're arguing that a great TE is more valuable than a great LT? Given his bigness, he's probably more suited for LT, anyways.

You're arguing that a great TE is more valuable than a great LT?  Given his bigness, he's probably more suited for LT, anyways.

601329[/snapback]

No, but it sure would be nice to see Jason Peters catch a few balls over the middle. :D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! :D

Actually it was supposed to be Dr. Evil.  But six of one...

601413[/snapback]

Whoops, I deleted my original post. Though as was going to say in all seriousness, not sure how much he signs for as there are questions if he should start. As our running game did suffer when Mike Williams left the starting lineup.

Bear in mind, that w/ the Exclusive Rights FA, we only have the ability to 'lock' them in for 1 year, after which they become Unrestricted, so he DOES have some bargaining power in that he can choose to sign only for 1 year.

WRT how much he's worth, AFAIC he hasn't proven anything yet so I would think it imprudent to give him a large SB.  I wouldn't give him more than $3m up front tops, and preferably around $2m.  Let his salaries escalate so that if he is good, we pay him decent coin.

I'd go for something like 4 yrs, $2m SB, w/ salaries of maybe $500k, $2m, $4m, $5m.

I guess that works out to $13.5m, but the big factor is how it's structured.

601313[/snapback]

I think after exclusive rights, you're a restricted free agent for a year, then an unrestricted FA.

I think after exclusive rights, you're a restricted free agent for a year, then an unrestricted FA.

601418[/snapback]

That's the usual course, depending on how long a player signs for etc.

As after playing one or two seasons a player is an EFA, after playing three seasons a player is a RFA and finally after playing four or more seasons a player is an UFA. Of course there's also UDFAs and just plain FAs (for players who are cut).

You're arguing that a great TE is more valuable than a great LT?  Given his bigness, he's probably more suited for LT, anyways.

601329[/snapback]

I have yet to see anyone refer to Jason Peters as a great LT.. I'm not asking the Chiefs to turn Willie Roaf into a TE here..

I wouldn't offer anything more than a one-year league minimum for a 3rd-year player at RT, and toss in an OK signing bonus - 250K or so. Quite a pay increase for him. Generous, I'd say.

Nice fellow, intriguing, but I don't think he shows up on other club's "radars"...he didn't play a whole season at RT - he was a "let's try this guy, what do we have to lose?" player.

If he plays well this coming season, that's when a longer-term deal should be considered.

4 years 10 million?

601250[/snapback]

As a point of reference, that is the deal Teague signed to come here for Denver. Of course Teague then became an overpaid below average center.

I have more hope for Peters. He's done a decent job for a position he wasn't trained for.

4 years 10 million?

601250[/snapback]

That would be 25% of what mike williams is making.

I still see the guy as a development project, and I also think he could move to the left side after another year as RT. So, you pose an interesting question. Other teams can see his potential, especially after beating out a #4 over all draft pick with 3 more years of experience than him.

I would venture to say that the signing bonus will be the issue and if it is too large, will he do what mike williams did????

Personally, I'd like to see them sign the guy to a contract that is about 6 years, 18 million including the signing bonus. Play him at RT this year, then move him to Left Tackle next season.