I knew Moorman was

Mile High

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he looked pretty damn fast off the start, and proved that he belonged in that race. If DeAngelo Hall ran a 4.34 at the combine, Moorman prolly could have run in the 4.4's on that surface, which is notoriously slow, thus i feel that 4.3's for that guy on a good surface is achievable, if it hasn't been done already. Plus a runner brags about their best time not their avg. So randy and deion can brag about their 4.1 highs

WHAT THE?????

http://www.billsdaily.com/

2/11/06

Moorman Disqualified: Brian Moorman participated in the open field competition at the Pro Bowl Skills competition today and was disqualified. He ran very well and made it through the hurdles and other obstacle course stuff quickly. He decided to totally blow off the sled since he is too small to push it. He thought it would be just a :05 penalty but they disqualified him instead.

The NFL is so unfair these days! :doh:

They let him take the 5 second penalty and he finished 4th.

Without the 5 second penalty, he would have won by 2-3 seconds. Basically, if he tried to push the sled, and did an average job (average compared to the linemen and backs in the competition), he would have won.

he looked pretty damn fast off the start, and proved that he belonged in that race. If DeAngelo Hall ran a 4.34 at the combine, Moorman prolly could have run in the 4.4's on that surface, which is notoriously slow, thus i feel that 4.3's for that guy on a good surface is achievable, if it hasn't been done already. Plus a runner brags about their best time not their avg. So randy and deion can brag about their 4.1 highs

601080[/snapback]

I saw the race, I still don't know what to make of it. As I anticipated Moormans track experience proved beneficial as he beat everybody off the line. As the Race ended he did exactly what I expected him do, beat the slower competitors who's combine times were around 4.5, and lose to the competitors who had combine times 4.4 and lower. That said I don't know how anybody can really guess Moorman's 40 based on what we saw today. It was clear that any player below a 4.5 appears very similar in this type of race. Luckily I did find this Moorman Interview which he says the following.

Question: Brian, You've got some serious wheels. What is your 40 time?

Brian Moorman: it's been a long time since I have timed it, but in college, when I was in track shape, I ran a 4.4. You can probably add a little time now since I am a couple years removed, but I stay in shape

So we now know he ran a track timed 4.4 in college. Since then he probably added at least a half tenth of a second to that number if not more. That 4.4 track converted to the slower surface in Indianapolis would probably add at least another half tenth of a second if not more. So in the same arena that the rest of the NFL is timed on he probably would run a 4.5 and absolutely nothing more then a 4.45. To see how much of a difference that can make read this 40 Times He has great speed, but is not among the elite of the NFL.

I saw the race, I still don't know what to make of it. As I anticipated Moormans track experience proved beneficial as he beat everybody off the line.  As the Race ended he did exactly what I expected him do, beat the slower competitors who's combine times were around 4.5, and lose to the competitors who had combine times 4.4 and lower. That said I don't know how anybody can really guess Moorman's 40 based on what we saw today. It was clear that any player below a 4.5 appears very similar in this type of race.  Luckily I did find this Moorman Interview which he stats the following.

Brian Moorman: it's been a long time since I have timed it, but in college, when I was in track shape, I ran a 4.4. You can probably add a little time now since I am a couple years removed, but I stay in shape

So we now know he ran a track timed 4.4 in college. Since then he probably added at least a half tenth of a second to that number if not more.  That 4.4 track converted to the slower surface in Indianapolis would probably add at least another half tenth of a second if not more.  So in the same arena that the rest of the NFL is timed on he probably would run a 4.5 and absolutely nothing more then a 4.45.  To see how much of a difference that can make read this 40 Times He has great speed, but is not among the elite of the NFL.

601121[/snapback]

ok good find Kzoo, I'll give you credit for saying that he probably runs 4.4-4.5 times, which is still pretty fast. Given perfect conditions, i wouldn't put it past him to run in the 4.3's.

ok good find Kzoo, I'll give you credit for saying that he probably runs 4.4-4.5 times, which is still pretty fast. Given perfect conditions, i wouldn't put it past him to run in the 4.3's.

601122[/snapback]

Also depends on who's chasing him...

I saw the race, I still don't know what to make of it. As I anticipated Moormans track experience proved beneficial as he beat everybody off the line.  As the Race ended he did exactly what I expected him do, beat the slower competitors who's combine times were around 4.5, and lose to the competitors who had combine times 4.4 and lower. That said I don't know how anybody can really guess Moorman's 40 based on what we saw today. It was clear that any player below a 4.5 appears very similar in this type of race.  Luckily I did find this Moorman Interview which he says the following.

So we now know he ran a track timed 4.4 in college. Since then he probably added at least a half tenth of a second to that number if not more.  That 4.4 track converted to the slower surface in Indianapolis would probably add at least another half tenth of a second if not more.  So in the same arena that the rest of the NFL is timed on he probably would run a 4.5 and absolutely nothing more then a 4.45.  To see how much of a difference that can make read this 40 Times He has great speed, but is not among the elite of the NFL.

601121[/snapback]

I think Jzmack gets the verdict. You disrespected Moorman's wheels.

moorman was 100% badass it pitt. st. even though it was d-2 he was a multi-time ncaa hurdle champ and that is no joke. i'm sorry i missed out on this whole thread b/c i was at a track meet myself all day today, but i'm glad our boy at least proved he belonged.

Ben Johnson’s time that I gave was not measured in meters, it was measured in yards. I indicated this in the last thread but you ignored it just like every other point I made.  If you actually need the link here it is Johnson runs a 4.38 in his record run

The whole comment regarding the 4.7 was to say Moorman probably would run about a 4.5 at the combine, which would actually be a 4.7 if the timing of these 40's were more legitimate. What more evidence do you need then the world record steroid induced 100 meters ran by Johnson.? If that trial only covered the first 40 yards in 4.38 am I supposed to believe that Moorman can run even faster? If you put Moorman behind hurricane Katrina on a track then maybe he does run that fast, but that's not how football is played, and since you compared him to some of the fastest players in the NFL I choose to base my 4.5 estimate on the same stage the rest of the NFL players run on, the combine.

Like I said in the last post Nate Clements and Terrance MaGee ran in the same range at the combine as Bob Sanders, and both are a little slower then Mathis. Determining what Moormans exact 40 is would be impossible, but if he can compete with Sanders  and Mathis then odds are he does run in the range of a 4.3, thus being among the fastest players in the league.  If he can't compete with these two in such favorable conditions (Track Surface, Track Start) then he obviously isn't among the fastest in the league. It's such a simple solution to this debate that I would just rather wait until the race is over to finish it up.

EDIT: I just noticed BM will also be competing in the obstacle course, I imagine he will do very well in that competition.

600765[/snapback]

Thanx for clearing that up Kzoo. Saved me the effort. I have been a track fan forever--and I realize that those 40 times are really kind of a running joke among those in the know. Moorman is undoubtedly a fast guy--and could do very well in this competition...but he was not a world class speedster.-There was a white guy(not beebe) who played on the Bills who WAS a world class runner---and I am spacing his name.he was talented but goyt hurt and had a short career...hmmm--someone help me out on that one.

Thanx for clearing that up Kzoo. Saved me the effort. I have been a track fan forever--and I realize that those 40 times are really kind of a running joke among those in the know. Moorman is undoubtedly a fast guy--and could do very well in this competition...but he was not a world class speedster.-There was a white guy(not beebe) who played on the Bills who WAS a world class runner---and I am spacing his name.he was talented but goyt hurt and had a short career...hmmm--someone help me out on that one.

601170[/snapback]

played in th e early 80s i think.

Short article on Brian in this morning's Pittsburg Sun; you can find the link on the TBD main page. Password-restricted, though:

userid: gobills

pw: gobills

601255[/snapback]

Thank you, so much, foor supplying the access!

Thank you, so much, foor supplying the access!

601269[/snapback]

I detest newspapers that force you to register to read their stuff. (Heck, the article wasn't THAT good...)