Al Michaels to NBC for Sunday Nite Games

DPR4444

So, MNF is just going to be Sunday Night Football on NBC. Monday Night Football is now on ESPN and has quite possibly the worst two analysts in history with Tony Kornheiser (Dennis Miller wasn't available?) and Joe Theismann, who will still be annyoing the hell out of everyone every week. YAY! How will Tony ever get a word in? Not that it will be interesting or amusing anyways. Throw in TWO female sidleine reporters (Suzy "Lightsocket Hair" Kolber and Michele Toyota) and I think MNF will be a total disaster on ESPN. I hope they show at least some of the game between all the talking and the endless ESPN Promos.

Any idea who will be doing the Thursday/Saturday Games on the NFL Network? I heard Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire are doing college football games for ESPN. It's a shallow talent pool out there.

I have a great idea for the NFL. The Wednesday Night Game of the Week on the Home Shopping Channel. No announcers, no commercials, just hosts selling NFL merchandise during the entire game.

am i the only one who sees mike tirico as a huge upgrade over al michaels? i think the guy's gone a little stale, frankly, and i think tirico is very good. i don't watch PTR, but i would look forward to having tony k in the booth as well. as for theisman...well i guess you can't have everything.

So, MNF is just going to be Sunday Night Football on NBC. Monday Night Football is now on ESPN and has quite possibly the worst two analysts in history with Tony Kornheiser (Dennis Miller wasn't available?) and Joe Theismann, who will still be annyoing the hell out of everyone every week. YAY! How will Tony ever get a word in? Not that it will be interesting or amusing anyways.

600005[/snapback]

Now, how do you know TK is gunna suck? I have no idea, but TK a very interesting and enjoyable read and listen. I have been in DC since 87, and have been a fan of Tony sinnce the day I moved here.

The good thing is Tony and Theesman are friends, and Tony gives him chit all the time. Already started in the paper yesterday, saying he has no idea how he will pay attention with all the words coming out of Joes mouth. I think that him being friends with Joe will let Tony be more comfotable in calling him an idiot.

I am actually looking forward to it.

I saw this in my local paper this morning....

Disney Gets Lucky Rabbit Back

LOS ANGELES (AP) Feb. 10, 2006 - In exchange for allowing sportscaster Al Michaels to leave ABC early for a job at NBC Universal, The Walt Disney Company is getting back a piece of its history: The first animated character created by Disney.

His name was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. The cheeky bunny was created by Disney and his chief creative partner in 1927 at the request of Universal Pictures.

Disney cranked out 26 of the silent Oswald cartoons. The character proved popular and soon began appearing on merchandise.

But Disney suffered a devastating blow when he found out that Universal owned the rights to Oswald, and would continue to create Oswald cartoons without Disney.

Disney recovered. He created a new cartoon character by the name of Mickey Mouse.

In the deal announced yesterday, Disney will get the rights to the Oswald character plus all 26 shorts created by Disney.

So where does Mike Patrick end up?  He wouldn't be too shabby for CBS or FOX to hire for play-by-play on day games.

599975[/snapback]

He'd be shabby anywhere, IMO. He sucks as a play-by-play guy. He's "Theisman" quality.

Here's a little known Al Michaels fact. The first NFL game that he did play-by-play for was in 1971 on NBC. The teams? Buffalo vs. Minnesota. Vikings won 19-0. Michaels remembered that the Bills only won one game in 1971 and that particular game was late in the season, it was very cold and that it was televised in only about 5 markets across the country.

i don't even know why she has a job on tv, other than the fact that she looks like she may have played football in college.

600008[/snapback]

:doh:

That was good.

About Kolber -- did you know she uses a teleprompter for her sideline gig? Saw it during the Denver game; the screen is about the size of a portable DVD player, mounted on a monopod that puts it right at eye-level.

What, she can't memorize a twenty-second soundbite?