P. Rivers to the Jets????

col_forbin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been hearing it will be John Abraham for Drew Brees and possibly a draft positioning change...not sure the details of that part.

with Schottenhiemer's son (the son that coaches offense) moving over to the Jets, it is a nice fit.

something else that will be incredible will be the Chargers Defense.

adding Abraham to that D with Merriman, our old friend Wade Phillips will be having a field day.

i have been hearing it will be John Abraham for Drew Brees and possibly a draft positioning change...not sure the details of that part.

with Schottenhiemer's son (the son that coaches offense) moving over to the Jets, it is a nice fit.

adding Abraham to that D with Merriman, our old friend Wade Phillips will be having a field day.

598575[/snapback]

I like Brees and I hope he has no complications coming back from his shoulder problem. You would think the Jets would shy away from a QB with a busted wing. Pennington is their albatross.

Per ESPN:

Abraham wants out

<Feb. 8> According to The Newark Star-Ledger, Abraham has told those close to him that he wants out because the Jets continue to drag their feet regarding a long-term deal. However, new general manager Mike Tannenbaum did extend an olive branch to the three-time Pro Bowl DE on Tuesday.

"I've known John since 2000. I think he's matured as a person and improved as a player," Tannenbaum said yesterday. "I think he deserves a lot of credit for playing the entire 2005 season, all 16 games."

Th Jets are expected to place the franchise tag on Abraham this month (they have from tomorrow until Feb. 23) and then try to trade him. The franchise tender for a defensive end will be $8.3 million in 2006. The amount is determined by the average salary of the five highest-paid players at the position.

There are several teams reportedly interested in the unrestricted free agent, including the Chargers, Redskins, Browns and Texans. One possibility, according to The Star-Ledger, could be a deal with San Diego for quarterback Philip Rivers. New Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was Rivers' quarterback coach the last two seasons.

So did you get this message from your buddy, RUN to the PC or laptop to MAKE sure you were the FIRST one to start the thread?!?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

598569[/snapback]

I was hoping somebody knew if this is real or BS. It looks like it may speculation on my friend's part. He got is info from a NCSU board.....go figure.

Well, it would make some sense, if they can do it. Assuming Brees will fully recover, Rivers is just collecting dust in SD. He has contributed as little as any high first round QB pick in a long time.

The Jets should be set up for a Rivers-type QB, as neither Philip or Chad have cannons for arms.

The Chargers trading for John Abraham makes absolutly zero sense for them.

1. Drew Brees is coming off a bad shoulder injury. In the event he doesnt come back to form I doubt AJ Smith would want to trade away the guy they picked 1st overall.

2. Steve Foley has been a fairly productive player for the Chargers, with 14.5 sacks the last 2 years. 10 in 2004... 4.5 this past season.

3. John Abraham hasn't played as a stand up backer since his college days. I'm sure he could make the transition, but he's better suited to be a 4-3 de.

4. Not to mention the Chargers have Shawn Merriman they dont need to throw a bunch of money at abraham when they have more pressing needs in the secondary.

I agree, Rivers and Brees will be in San Diego in 2006. What makes Rivers really viable is that he has a very low 2006 cap figure as his signing bonus has already been paid and amoritized under the first two years of the contract.

In addition, San Diego plays the 3-4 and uses bookend 290+ defensive ends and John Abraham is a classic 4-3 defensive end. Therefore no real fit exists.

The Jets are over 30 Million over the 2006 projected cap and will not be able to "franchise" Abraham, they will also lose Ty Law as well.

They have a long rebuilding job to do and it will take about three years to complete if everything goes right for them.

Along with Green Bay, they are my pick for contention for the top pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

The Chargers trading for John Abraham makes absolutly zero sense for them. 

1. Drew Brees is coming off a bad shoulder injury.  In the event he doesnt come back to form I doubt AJ Smith would want to trade away the guy they picked 1st overall.

2.  Steve Foley has been a fairly productive player for the Chargers, with 14.5 sacks the last 2 years.  10 in 2004... 4.5 this past season. 

3.  John Abraham hasn't played as a stand up backer since his college days.  I'm sure he could make the transition, but he's better suited to be a 4-3 de.

4.  Not to mention the Chargers have Shawn Merriman they dont need to throw a bunch of money at abraham when they have more pressing needs in the secondary.

598590[/snapback]

"I've known John since 2000. I think he's matured as a person and improved as a player," Tannenbaum said yesterday. "I think he deserves a lot of credit for playing the entire 2005 season, all 16 games."

598582[/snapback]

That kinda sounds like a back handed compliment to me.

Per ESPN:

Abraham wants out

<Feb. 8> According to The Newark Star-Ledger, Abraham has told those close to him that he wants out because the Jets continue to drag their feet regarding a long-term deal. However, new general manager Mike Tannenbaum did extend an olive branch to the three-time Pro Bowl DE on Tuesday.

Th Jets are expected to place the franchise tag on Abraham this month (they have from tomorrow until Feb. 23) and then try to trade him. The franchise tender for a defensive end will be $8.3 million in 2006. The amount is determined by the average salary of the five highest-paid players at the position.

There are several teams reportedly interested in the unrestricted free agent, including the Chargers, Redskins, Browns and Texans. One possibility, according to The Star-Ledger, could be a deal with San Diego for quarterback Philip Rivers. New Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was Rivers' quarterback coach the last two seasons.

598582[/snapback]

I would imagine that if this guy was Rivers QB coach that he jump at the chance to get Brees not Rivers - because he would know for a fact that Rivers is all show and nothing else. :lol:

I would imagine that if this guy was Rivers QB coach that he  jump at the chance to get Brees not Rivers -  because he would know for a fact that Rivers is all show and nothing else.  :lol:

598601[/snapback]

All show? How do you know that? Rivers was one of the best college QB's I have ever seen. And he ripped up the Senior Bowl while our boy JP was throwing balls into the turf.

I like Brees and I hope he has no complications coming back from his shoulder problem. You would think the Jets would shy away from a QB with a busted wing. Pennington is their albatross.

598579[/snapback]

i mis-posted. (is that a word?) i meant to say Rivers, not Brees.