Worst Super Bowl Ever?

Red Dragon

Was it the worst Super Bowl ever? Probably not, but it was damn close. My memories of the older games are fairly dim, but I'm sure that there were a few games in the 1970's that were just as bad, from a pure entertainment point of view. And I seem to recall a few games in the early 90's that were pretty bad as wekk,What I can't remember is, is if they they were as poorly played as this one. Sure there were some blow-outs, but at least one side played well. Yesterdays game was not only boring, but was also poorly executed. As a matter of fact, with the exception of the last quarter of the Indianapolis-Pittsburgh game, all of the Playoff games have been boring. The NFL is failing to live up to it's own hype. Throughout December and January, we were innundated with those awful Don Chaedle commercials telling us how great the Playoffs are, only to be treated to yesterdays debacle. Was this a showcase for the best two teams in the NFL? Probably not, but by looking at the rest of the so-called playoff teams, I doubt the game could have been improved.

The NFL needs to take a long, hard look at it's product, and find ways to improve the game, before NCAA football surpasses it as America's sport of choice. Each of the BCS games were better than the Super Bowl, and there were several non-BCS game that surpassed the Super Bowl in quality as well. Most of the games on the NFL's weekly schedule are unwatchable, and seem to serve only as a delivery system for beer ads. The game is getting increasingly boring each year, as there is little diversity between teams and systems.

The whole presentation of the Super Bowl, from the hours of pre-game hype all the way to the trophy presentation (what was the deal with that podium?-it looked like a flying saucer!) was not only unwanted, but also embarrassing at times. Who thinks of some of this nonsense?

As for me, I am a good American, and watch the game out of obligation rather than for entertainment. The game rarely lives up to expectations, and is slowly becoming a parody of itself. The amount of time that I spend watching the NFL decreases each year. Unless the NFL can find a way to restore their product to it's former glory, in a few years, I will be completely devoted to NCAA football.

One of the worst ever. Pitt played like sh--, Seattle played like sh--, the Refs are corrupt and inept, dropped passes, piss poor coaching by Holmgren, horrible halftime show, horrible announcing, horrible rendition of our national anthem, just a !@#$ing horrible game to watch.......Pitt certainly did not look like the best team in the NFL

I would say it's not even in the bottom five.

For my money the worst was SD/SF because I knew the Niners were going to beat the daylights out of John Friesz and co. After that was the Broncos/Cowboys - another horrible mismatch.

Entertainment wise I'd say the Stillers/Vikings in 1975 was pretty ugly. Two terrific defensive teams hammering each other into submission. Boring as hell.

Yeah, it was a terrible Super Bowl. Officiating ruined it for me. The NFL determined they could sell more merchandise if Pitt won so they made sure the refs gave them as much help as they could. Sometimes I don't know why I bother watching football. All the time and money spent only to have your heart torn out by some over the hill, blind, part time insurance salesman/ ref.

Yeah, it was a terrible Super Bowl. Officiating ruined it for me. The NFL determined they could sell more merchandise if Pitt won so they made sure the refs gave them as much help as they could. Sometimes I don't know why I bother watching football. All the time and money spent only to have your heart torn out by some over the hill, blind, part time insurance salesman/ ref.

597088[/snapback]

Do you really believe the "fix" was on? I know more murchandise sells if Pitt wins, but why not make sure the Giants, Cowboys or Bears get to the dance...or are you thinking that perhaps they let them play fair until the Superbowl, then the NFL, or perhaps some rogue referee faction gathers in some shady diner across the river in Windsor under cover of darkeness to conspire to sell more murchandise? I love a good conspiracy, but that's thin. It was a $hitty game that is the realization of everything wrong with the NFL today. The game is not longer a sporting event, merely an event that America turns to - second inly to Americans to the 4th of July now.

I have to agree with the Dragon, the NCAA brand of football surpasses the watered down product that is forced down our throats. We as a naiton are now more enamored with the commercial that the game itself. It is what the NFL designed, but a sjame to true fans everywhere. At a primal level - it bothers me that someone who does not know HInes Ward from Ward Cleaver will spend their time watching the game to be a part of it and talk commercials the next day. Anyway - I'll keep watching, but no longer really look forward to it like I used to...

The NFL tried like hell to get the Colts in there, but even the refs could'nt over come Pitt. That's what it has come to, you have to beat your opponent and the refs. The Giants were not allowed to win because Eli was to young to be there just yet. Once he starts selling more jerseys, and merchandising warrents it he will get all the help the NFL can give him.

Pick any between XXV-XXVIII. I still don't remember any of the 2nd half of XXVII. Besides the Bills SB's, two bad ones in recent memory are XXXIII- Denver-Atlanta & whatever one Baltimore-NY Giants was. Actually, besides losing, Super Bowl XXV, in my opinion, was one of the top football games of all-time. Overall, the Super Bowl is the most hyped, most overrated production in all of sports. It never lives up to all the hype.

XL was especially bad from the pregame to the anthem to the commercials, the half time show and the game itself. All lousy, lackluster and just crap really. Maybe it was the location, maybe it was the 5 second delay on the telecast, maybe it was the two teams playing, maybe it was that the game was in February. I don't know but it didn't feel like the Super Bowl and it certainly did not live up to it's name.

Overall, the Super Bowl is the most hyped, most overrated production in all of sports. It never lives up to all the hype.

Sure it does. Not always, of course, but what series of games are always competitive? 49ers-Bengals, Rams-Titans, and Pats-Panthers were all classics. The most overhyped, overrated sports production is still the Summer Olympics.

Folks simply put themselves under too much pressure to perform in this alleged game of a lifetime for many players. Generally, a soon as one team blinks they get their butt kicked and get run off the field.

As I have said before the most refreshing perspective came from one of the Cowboys (either Hollywood Henderson or Duane Thomas) when he was asked before appearing in the SB whether the game would be the most important moment in his life. He replied,

"If its so important then why do they play it every year."

There were a lot of things that sucked and went wrong yesterday for such a high-profile event. But in three months some of us are going to be begging for a crappy live football game. Cuz I'll take a crappy live football game over the offseason any day of the year.

A bad football game and a bad blowjob. You know what they have in common? Neither of them exist.