Montana Snubbed the NFL

According to the NFL, Joe Montana wasn't there for the MVP celebration because he wanted to be assured he would get paid 100 k for the gig. Also absent was Terry Bradshaw who "wanted to spend it with his family."

Some of the MVP's do get money from the NFL and corporate sponsers for making appearances SB week... But, the kind of money Joe Montana that was asking, the NFL couldn't do... Supposedly they were hurt.

Also, that is the reason Tom Brady threw the coin toss out... Montana was slated.

I wonder what it really is about?... Of course this NFL spin.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were talking about it on Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN radio, and they were pissed. I think that its pretty shady considering, the game, the NFL, and his publicity from winning 3 SB MVPs is enough to show up for a few seconds before the game.

It seems to me that these two players are special in the History of the game and because they do not make the money that these players make now some one should realise that.

This is the only way they have to make money now. Although I'm sure they both make enough- It just seems that if you are going to pay players $75 Thousand a piece to appear and play then you should pay a guy who has won more then one of these bowls more then that. :(

It is a business.  I don't think they "owe" anyone an appearance and considering the money being made on the SB the fee doesn't sound out of line at all.

596249[/snapback]

It is a business that thrives because of emotional involvement of their customers. It is one of only a handful that can wipe its feet off in the face of the paying customers and get away with it.

The Montanas and Bradshaws are already dripping with $$$. In Montana's case, if true, it's avarice. Bradshaw? Haven't heard anything.

But in both cases, it was poor judgement and cavalier attitude, IMO. Respect for those that advanced oneself isn't a totally outmoded concept. I guess it's a matter of one's ethics...

No...they do "owe" the NFL. If it wasnt for the game of football and the NFL, those two dumb schitts would be working the late shift at the local carwash...especially that dumbass Bradshaw.

596277[/snapback]

And the NFL owes them too.

They were star players who helped make the NFL a big name and helped make the teams they played for famous.

I'm sure they paid Brady to be there, and probably more than what Montana was asking

Should they both have been there? hard to say. Yes they were being "honored" but they would also be helping out the NFL if they were there by making the appearance.

Bradshaw's excuse is BS.  He was in town all week.  Spend time with the family my a$$.

596349[/snapback]

He apparently said he wanted to go home to his family. What's the problem with that? He is entitled to do whatever he wants and I can't think of a better reason not to participate.

Montana, on the other hand.. :(

It is a business that thrives because of emotional involvement of their customers. It is one of only a handful that can wipe its feet off in the face of the paying customers and get away with it.

The Montanas and Bradshaws are already dripping with $$$. In Montana's case, if true, it's avarice. Bradshaw? Haven't heard anything.

But in both cases, it was poor judgement and cavalier attitude, IMO.  Respect for those that advanced oneself isn't a totally outmoded concept.  I guess it's a matter of one's ethics...

596321[/snapback]

I don't think either of them did anything unethical. Terry and Joe, I want you to lend your services to a commercial endeavor which will result in major economic benefit to me, the NFL, and to a number of other participants. It involves using you as a spokesperson for abrief entertainment stint. Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Mick Jagger and a whole bunch of people are being paid to also lend their services. The Steelers and Seahawks are being paid to lend their services. Commerical advertisers are oaying millions for 30 second spots. You will be on camera for something less than a 30 second spot. Joe...I want you to come from California, stay in Detroit for a day or two in the middle of winter, dress up and participate in a commercial event by parading out on national tv...and I'm not going to pay you for it...because you OWE us.

Bradshaw's excuse is BS.  He was in town all week.  Spend time with the family my a$$.

596349[/snapback]

I'm sure he would have done the same thing if FOX had the Super Bowl this year. :( I really wonder how much that came into play in his decision...

He apparently said he wanted to go home to his family.  What's the problem with that?  He is entitled to do whatever he wants and I can't think of a better reason not to participate. 

Montana, on the other hand.. :(

596382[/snapback]

I might be wrong, but I thought that I heard on Mike and Mike that Bradshaw was at the game.