Interesting news from Detroit

A small but important detail from Detroit....fromt the commissioners speech:

"saw only expansion to Los Angeles anytime soon, even though it would give the NFL an odd number of franchises.

"To me, the only possibility in the foreseeable future for an expansion team would be Los Angeles," he said. "I could not see a decision with two expansion teams."

A small but important detail from Detroit....fromt the commissioners speech:

"saw only expansion to Los Angeles anytime soon, even though it would give the NFL an odd number of franchises.

"To me, the only possibility in the foreseeable future for an expansion team would be Los Angeles," he said. "I could not see a decision with two expansion teams."

594330[/snapback]

That's not saying LA is getting an expansion team. Only that if expansion does occur, it will be in LA.

i know l.a is the 2nd largest tv market and the nfl wants a team there...............but it seems the fans do not care if a team is there or not!!!!!!! if that area cannot support a team the nfl shoulod not openly keep trying to push a owner or the city to get a team.

i know l.a is the 2nd largest tv market and the nfl wants a team there...............but it seems the fans do not care if a team is there or not!!!!!!! if that area cannot support a team the nfl shoulod not openly keep trying to push a owner or the city to get a team.

594425[/snapback]

If the NFL were to get a decent Stadium in the LA area, they wouldn't have much trouble selling seats.

Just remember, that as of 2000, that for every man, woman, and child in the combined Buffalo-Rochester-Niagara Fallas-Dunkirk metro areas, there are SIX people in the Los Angeles-San Bernardino metro area - with another 1.5 million people left over. Los Angeles can totally support a team, and indeed, someday it will. I just hope that it is the Raiders.

JDG

If the NFL were to get a decent Stadium in the LA area, they wouldn't have much trouble selling seats.

Just remember, that as of 2000,  that for every man, woman, and child in the combined Buffalo-Rochester-Niagara Fallas-Dunkirk metro areas, there are SIX people in the Los Angeles-San Bernardino metro area - with another 1.5 million people left over.  Los Angeles can totally support a team, and indeed, someday it will.  I just hope that it is the Raiders.

JDG

594492[/snapback]

And yet they lost two franchises and cannot garner the support to build a modern NFL-quality stadium, even though a commitment to build one would have gotten them the last expansion team, which ended up in Houston.

Just remember, that as of 2000,  that for every man, woman, and child in the combined Buffalo-Rochester-Niagara Fallas-Dunkirk metro areas, there are SIX people in the Los Angeles-San Bernardino metro area - with another 1.5 million people left over.  Los Angeles can totally support a team, and indeed, someday it will.  I just hope that it is the Raiders.

JDG

594492[/snapback]

C'mon CANADA! We need a bunch of you guys to emigrate South, legality is NOT important. We need to get our numbers up to catch those "6" people equivalents in LA.

Way to go NFL! The "LA market" can't; speak read or understand english, does not

have enough discretionary income to go to a game on a regular basis, and if they get there don't give a rat's as* about football.

We already lost the BRAVES/CLIPPERS and they are a huge success in the BIG market! :blush:

That's what we need... 53 players that aren't good enough to be in the NFL now will suddenly be "good enough".

594503[/snapback]

You honestly believe that there are no players out there that are not in the league that could be? I have always seen it as a right place right time scenario. Tom Brady for example could have just as easily found himself not in the NFL as the SB MVP. We have seen too many examples of sure things (Leaf, Marinovich) that have flopped, and nobodies that became big stars (Andre Reed). Samkon Gado from Liberty that played RB for Green Bay proved to be a servicable NFL back.

I have always wondered how many little college guys get passed over because of the intense focus on the big universities. I think it starts in our communities. Even in pee-wee, the QB is not always the most athletic kid, but the coaches son or his buddy's son.

You honestly believe that there are no players out there that are not in the league that could be?  I have always seen it as a right place right time scenario.  Tom Brady for example could have just as easily found himself not in the NFL as the SB MVP.  We have seen too many examples of sure things (Leaf, Marinovich) that have flopped, and nobodies that became big stars (Andre Reed).  Samkon Gado from Liberty that played RB for Green Bay proved to be a servicable NFL back.

I have always wondered how many little college guys get passed over because of the intense focus on the big universities.  I think it starts in our communities.  Even in pee-wee, the QB is not always the most athletic kid, but the coaches son or his buddy's son.

594581[/snapback]

I do not believe there are 53 NFL caliber players out there that are going to fill an expansion roster. Your examples do not apply. For the most part these 52 players will probably old vets hanging on one more year and guys that would have been on the practice squad.

I do not believe there are 53 NFL caliber players out there that are going to fill an expansion roster.  Your examples do not apply.  For the most part these 52 players will probably old vets hanging on one more year and guys that would have been on the practice squad.

594584[/snapback]

True, expansion teams usually suck. I do think over the course of time, however, the NFL could add a couple of teams and still maintain relatively high quality athleticism.

True, expansion teams usually suck.  I do think over the course of time, however, the NFL could add a couple of teams and still maintain relatively high quality athleticism.

594587[/snapback]

i don't think there are enough players now. I would like to see contraction in all the leagues personally.

i don't think there are enough players now.  I would like to see contraction in all the leagues personally.

594589[/snapback]

There are alot of forgettable people who play. I have always been intrigued by athletes who could have done it who never found themselves in the right place. A high school kid in a small town who gets no attention by recruiters. The small college kid who goes by without notice, that type of thing.

There are alot of forgettable people who play.  I have always been intrigued by athletes who could have done it who never found themselves in the right place.  A high school kid in a small town who gets no attention by recruiters.  The small college kid who goes by without notice, that type of thing.

594594[/snapback]

I know what you are saying, but any new teams are going to look in the same places as the old ones. I wouldn't expect to many Sam Gado's to be found.

594425[/snapback]

LA would love a team. As long as it wins.

When you think of LA, the last thing you think of is "native Californian." They're here, yes, but try to find a native Californian who hasn't heard "You're a native?" followed by some dumbass joke or fake surprised reaction like they're some type of dinosaur. Nonetheless, I believe you need natives to have a successful team in LA...or anywhere, and you just don't have enough of them in LA. Plus, they're busy spending their cash on the Lakers, who have a history. Or the Dodgers, who have a history, even though they suck. Rams leave after being the Cardinals of California, and win a Super Bowl. There were probably 80 people in LA who broke out their Rams banners.

You need natives to fill a stadium during the dark days.

If you must go to LA, then the best long-term way to get the locals to buy tickets is to start with a new team...not one that has been transplanted. Yes, transplanted gives you immediate results, but expansion gives you long-term results. And there are few things in this world sweeter than putting together the two words "recurring" and "revenue."

That's what we need... 53 players that aren't good enough to be in the NFL now will suddenly be "good enough".

594503[/snapback]

i agree sds.and the other part that isn't really fair is that every time the nfl expands it means that the new expansion team gets to basically pick#1 in the draft and they have a empty salary cap to start with.i mean a team like the saints can win only 1 game all season or none for that matter and be deserving of the #1 pick and then all of a sudden a new team gets to have the #1 pick.L.A may have a huge population ,but they have let two teams leave already.........that is why they cannot support a team........california already has the niners and raiders,and the chargers how many teams do they need?