Is it Bledsoe's NAME that makes people still

stevestojan

Ok, we have people that are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum here. The Bledsoe supporters vs the Bledsoe bashers. We all know where I stand.

Which is what makes me wonder WHY the Bledsoe backers have this unwavering love and support for him. Sure, you can blame the Oline, I've heard it before.

The fact is, in the last 16 games, the buffalo bills have scored fewer points than ANY other 16 game stint in team history. This includes 3-13 and 2-14. And there is a reason the QB takes most of the heat. Its easier to replace him than the other 10 guys around him.

Anyway, do you remember Bledsoe as a rookie? People were REALLY excited about this guy. His rookie FB card was one of the most valuable football cards of the 'new' collecting market. He was good. When the thought of him coming to Buffalo came up, I was so excited for it that I didnt want to jinx it by saying i thought he might actually be making the trip to Buffalo. When he got here, it was like the second coming of Christ. People took off of work to see him land at the airport. It was BIG.

And that is why I think people STILL support him. Because honestly, why else would they. They don't want all that excitement that surrounded him to go to waste. He is the first "big name" QB to play here since Jimbo. It was exciting. But stats dont lie - he is at best below average now.

Do i think he is a great QB? Absolutly not. WAS HE a great QB? Yes. But the sad thing we must realize is, is that he has lost it. He simply doesnt have it anymore. And please dont compare him to John Elway, hoping he might make the miraculous comback John did. Because that's a once in forever deal.

My main question is, if it wasnt for the "big name", the excitment when he got here, his history as being considered great, etc, etc, would he have any supporters? I dont see why he would. His numbers are awful. He got sacked almost 50 times last year, and is on pace for 64 this year. He threw only 11 TDs last year, and 12 INTS. Compare that with the 1997 Pats, when he threw 28 TDs and a mere 15 INTS (which was preceded by the 1996 season where he threw 27TDs and 15 INTS). And even compare it to Doug Flutie, who threw 9 TD's last year; all while starting FIVE games. Bledsoe has 8 good games as a Buffalo Bill (the first 6 in 2002 and the first 2 last year). But folks, just think, what if the name on the back of that Jersey was "Johnson" instead of "Bledsoe". Would you still have this un-dying love for him?

I say: DB = RJ.

But folks, just think, what if the name on the back of that Jersey was "Johnson" instead of "Bledsoe". Would you still have this un-dying love for him?

I say:  DB = RJ.

42909[/snapback]

Good point.

I don't know if he was ever a "great" QB. Certainly he never did anything in the playoffs. Even in the SB year of '96 the Pats defense outscored the Jags offense in the title game. Did nothing against Cleveland in '94, nothing against Miami or Pittsburgh in '97, nothing against Jacksonville in '98.

His second year was pretty good for a young guy. Back to back memorable shootouts with Marino and Kelly to open the season. Maybe that still lingers in people's minds.

He was a good regular season QB from 94-98 and that's about it.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

What I want to know is....

WHY was he such a great success in his FIRST YEAR with the Bills then?

What went wrong, from having a football in the Hall of Fame because he had a great game versus the Vikings, throwing for over 400 yards, to this??

I'm sorry, but to put these losses completely on Bledsoe is ludicrous. Obviously our coaching staff has so little confidence in our offensive line with pass blocking, that they have adapted the 'run the ball, run the ball, short pass, short pass' philosophy. This makes Bledsoe look ineffective; either he's getting sacked, or we aren't taking advantage of the complete field, making the defense disrespect our deep passing game.

It is the offensive line, plain and simple. It is truly offensive.

and backs averaging under 3 ypc.....

And therein is my main complaint about the OL -- if the OL can't give our (supposedly great) RBs more than 3ypc, how can you expect them to block for the QB? Has Drew made mistakes? Yes! But so has *everyone* on the offensive side of the ball and I still believe that it all starts with the OL.

And I'm tired of hearing, "Brady must've magically made the Pats OL good!" Teams struggle early on in the season and then right the ship. The Eagles were 0-2 with McNabb last year. Didn't they make it to the NFC Championship game? If they had replaced McNabb with Fealy in week 3, would everyone say that McNabb sucks? Didn't think so.

Regardless of our QB woes, our OL has NOT been playing well at all. If they were, we'd have more than 2.8ypc.

CW

Bledsoe or not, very few quarterbacks could produce any real type numbers with this o-line, receivers dropping passes and backs averaging under 3 ypc.....

43109[/snapback]

I too have been a DB supporter. But I am on the verge of going over to the other side. A good QB makes everyone around better - he does not need "a great supporting cast" to make the offense run well. If you have a great supporting case, Shane Matthews will be adequate. I need to actually see a game or two before deciding if DB has lost it forever.

And therein is my main complaint about the OL -- if the OL can't give our (supposedly great) RBs more than 3ypc, how can you expect them to block for the QB?  Has Drew made mistakes?  Yes!  But so has *everyone* on the offensive side of the ball and I still believe that it all starts with the OL.

And I'm tired of hearing, "Brady must've magically made the Pats OL good!"  Teams struggle early on in the season and then right the ship.  The Eagles were 0-2 with McNabb last year.  Didn't they make it to the NFC Championship game?  If they had replaced McNabb with Fealy in week 3, would everyone say that McNabb sucks?  Didn't think so.

Regardless of our QB woes, our OL has NOT been playing well at all.  If they were, we'd have more than 2.8ypc.

CW

43122[/snapback]

Our entire offensive philosophy, including the OL, is hindered by the Bledsoe Factor.

Our run game is poor because other teams are free to blitz to stop the run on every play. This is worse than team's playing eight in the box because they are shooting the gaps to blow up runs behind the line.

If a play happens to be a pass, then the blitzer continues up the middle where he knows he will find Drew.

Our OL is fighting an uphill battle when we run and pass the ball.

Our run game will improve dramatically as soon as our QB makes some plays, scores some points and forces the defense to call off the constant blitzing.

If its a

Guest Guesteroo
Ok, we have people that are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum here. The Bledsoe supporters vs the Bledsoe bashers. We all know where I stand.

Which is what makes me wonder WHY the Bledsoe backers have this unwavering love and support for him. Sure, you can blame the Oline, I've heard it before.

The fact is, in the last 16 games, the buffalo bills have scored fewer points than ANY other 16 game stint in team history. This includes 3-13 and 2-14. And there is a reason the QB takes most of the heat. Its easier to replace him than the other 10 guys around him.

Anyway, do you remember Bledsoe as a rookie? People were REALLY excited about this guy. His rookie FB card was one of the most valuable football cards of the 'new' collecting market. He was good. When the thought of him coming to Buffalo came up, I was so excited for it that I didnt want to jinx it by saying i thought he might actually be making the trip to Buffalo. When he got here, it was like the second coming of Christ.  People took off of work to see him land at the airport. It was BIG.

And that is why I think people STILL support him. Because honestly, why else would they. They don't want all that excitement that surrounded him to go to waste. He is the first "big name" QB to play here since Jimbo. It was exciting. But stats dont lie - he is at best below average now.

Do i think he is a great QB? Absolutly not. WAS HE a great QB? Yes. But the sad thing we must realize is, is that he has lost it. He simply doesnt have it anymore. And please dont compare him to John Elway, hoping he might make the miraculous comback John did. Because that's a once in forever deal.

My main question is, if it wasnt for the "big name", the excitment when he got here, his history as being considered great, etc, etc, would he have any supporters? I dont see why he would. His numbers are awful. He got sacked almost 50 times last year, and is on pace for 64 this year. He threw only 11 TDs last year, and 12 INTS. Compare that with the 1997 Pats, when he threw 28 TDs and a mere 15 INTS (which was preceded by the 1996 season where he threw 27TDs and 15 INTS).  And even compare it to Doug Flutie, who threw 9 TD's last year; all while starting FIVE games.  Bledsoe has 8 good games as a Buffalo Bill (the first 6 in 2002 and the first 2 last year). But folks, just think, what if the name on the back of that Jersey was "Johnson" instead of "Bledsoe". Would you still have this un-dying love for him?

42909[/snapback]

Yes, what you say is ALL true. But, bottom line: TD is being stubborn beyond belief with DB. The biggest factor on MM getting the job was that he told TD he thought DB could be fixed and we'd win with him. Fassel told TD what a joke DB was and that he'd want to bring in someone else (K.Collins most likely)

As of right now, I bet MM is realizing (but can't vocalize) that "Ut oh, this guy is worse than I thought. I can't win with this guy, but my hands are tied, I told TD that I'd make a go of it with DB. . . "

Talk about being backed into a corner. . . MM is probably begging to get the "greenlight" from TD to give Matthews a shot. And don't kid yourselves, he needs that go-ahead from TD. Call it puppet and puppet master.

-->The biggest factor on MM getting the job was that he told TD he thought DB could be fixed and we'd win with him. Fassel told TD what a joke DB was and that he'd want to bring in someone else (K.Collins most likely)

-->As of right now, I bet MM is realizing (but can't vocalize) that "Ut oh, this guy is worse than I thought. I can't win with this guy, but my hands are tied, I told TD that I'd make a go of it with DB. . . "

-->Talk about being backed into a corner. . . MM is probably begging to get the "greenlight" from TD to give Matthews a shot. And don't kid yourselves, he needs that go-ahead from TD. Call it puppet and puppet master.

43530[/snapback]

You state what I'd assume to be opinion as it were fact. Were you in those meetings?

Guest Guesteroo
You state what I'd assume to be opinion as it were fact.  Were you in those meetings?

43543[/snapback]

No, but is it really a stretch to think as lack of offense continues, that those thoughts aren't in his head? They must be. He's the coach, the team isn't scoring, and the fans and media are clamoring for some answers.

"The fact is, in the last 16 games, the buffalo bills have scored fewer points than ANY other 16 game stint in team history. This includes 3-13 and 2-14"...The fact is the sucky Oline was there for those games too..

Anyway, do you remember Bledsoe as a rookie? People were REALLY excited about this guy. His rookie FB card was one of the most valuable football cards of the 'new' collecting market. He was good. When the thought of him coming to Buffalo came up, I was so excited for it that I didnt want to jinx it by saying i thought he might actually be making the trip to Buffalo. When he got here, it was like the second coming of Christ.  People took off of work to see him land at the airport. It was BIG.

My main question is, if it wasnt for the "big name", the excitment when he got here, his history as being considered great, etc, etc, would he have any supporters? I dont see why he would. His numbers are awful. He got sacked almost 50 times last year, and is on pace for 64 this year. He threw only 11 TDs last year, and 12 INTS. Compare that with the 1997 Pats, when he threw 28 TDs and a mere 15 INTS (which was preceded by the 1996 season where he threw 27TDs and 15 INTS).  And even compare it to Doug Flutie, who threw 9 TD's last year; all while starting FIVE games.  Bledsoe has 8 good games as a Buffalo Bill (the first 6 in 2002 and the first 2 last year). But folks, just think, what if the name on the back of that Jersey was "Johnson" instead of "Bledsoe". Would you still have this un-dying love for him?

42909[/snapback]

The lengths Drewbashers will go to foment dissent against him on this board is bordering on the ridiculous. This excrement(don't want any confusion here)

has got to stop. Now it's kabala stuff.

Wait...look over there...in the shadows! It's Bledsoe..he's out to get you!!

Get a hobby, man. Read a book.

The lengths Drewbashers will go to foment dissent against him on this board is bordering on the ridiculous.  This excrement(don't want any confusion here)

has got to stop.  Now it's kabala stuff. 

Wait...look over there...in the shadows!  It's Bledsoe..he's out to get you!!

Get a hobby, man.  Read a book.

43587[/snapback]

Ok, thanks for the insult. Ill get a hobby and read a book tomorrow.

Now can you answer my question?:

Would people still support Bledsoe if his last name was Johnson? or Collins, or Gilbert? and he still played like he is now?

Yes, clearly his name enthralls people. He was a good QB a few years ago. Good enough to get his team to a SuperBowl vs. Green Bay. Now teams have stopped being "Wow'ed" by his great arm and they've started to game plan around sacking his a$$. Yes, I know,,,,teams game plan around stopping Brady or Culpepper or McNabb....but it's not the same. Those guys are crafty enough to buy some time and make plays when the line breaks down. Drew is not. It's unfortunate that we're watching a dinosaur and the ice age begins at the end of the 2004 season for our loveable dinosaur.

Ok, thanks for the insult. Ill get a hobby and read a book tomorrow.

Now can you answer my question?:

Would people still support Bledsoe if his last name was Johnson? or Collins, or Gilbert? and he still played like he is now?

43593[/snapback]

Well at least you get to respond to the insults. Guys like you pound Bledsoe day in and day out and he isn't here to respond to your anonymous insults.

There's an eloquent saying about the insignificance of names. It goes like this..

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Get my drift?

42909[/snapback]

Steve, go find some old Pats games when DB had some very good lines to play behind then come back and post what you want. You'll be very surprised!

Well at least you get to respond to the insults.  Guys like you pound Bledsoe day in and day out and he isn't here to respond to your anonymous insults.

There's an eloquent saying about the insignificance of names. It goes like this..

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Get my drift?

43609[/snapback]

wow. talk about dodging the question.

nevermind.