McNally Staying=Committment to O-Line

Corp000085

When McNally was brought in two years ago, the guy was seen as a god by us. He made marginal improvements in the line for the 2004 season, but this past season was a disaster. The personnel sucked, adjustments sucked, and injuries took their toll. With that stated, if Marv would have fired mcnally with the rest of the staff, it would have shown that coaching was the major problem and/or coaching was made the scapegoat. With McNally staying on, it shows that the bills are concerned with the development and improvement of the offensive line. I think the writing is on the wall that marv and the scouting staff will be bringing in top notch draft and free agent talent for the offensive line.

Also, this committment may get m. williams to restructure his contract. If he is willing to give 100%, i think M. williams should stay on at a reduced salary. He'd be a whole lot better if the talent level of his teammates was better as well as the offensive gameplan. Not saying he's a guy you anchor the line with, but his contract is fat which makes him the cornerstone.

You can call ralph cheap with coaching and management, but he has no problem spending to the cap with players. With that said, there's room to bring in guys to replace the TD forgettables such as gandy, anderson, and williams if he's not 100%.

You know I keep hearing this stupid "injuries" on the oline excuse. Did any of you actually watch the games? Gandy started all 16 games, Anderson started 14 (was benched as the starter for 2), teague started all 16, Villereal started 15, and Williams started 6 and was benched, and Peters started 10 at RT. That is a very healthy line, and I doubt you'll find any other line in the NFL that had so few injuries.

Other then Jerman, who sucked, and Preston who sucked each getting a couple of starts, we threw the same line out there, week in and wek out. Sorry but Mcnally did nothing.

You know I keep hearing this stupid "injuries" on the oline excuse. Did any of you actually watch the games?  Gandy started all 16 games, Anderson started 14 (was benched as the starter for 2), teague started all 16, Villereal started 15, and Williams started 6 and was benched, and Peters started 10 at RT.  That is a very healthy line, and I doubt you'll find any other line in the NFL that had so few injuries. 

Other then Jerman, who sucked, and Preston who sucked each getting a couple of starts, we threw the same line out there, week in and wek out.  Sorry but Mcnally did nothing.

589275[/snapback]

VA, are you sure about those numbers wrt Villarial? Did Williams start only 1 game at RG? I seem to recall CV missing more time than that, and being nagged by injuries to the point of being ineffective when he was in there.

VA, are you sure about those numbers wrt Villarial? Did Williams start only 1 game at RG? I seem to recall CV missing more time than that, and being nagged by injuries to the point of being ineffective when he was in there.

589281[/snapback]

Very sure. I just looked them up on the NFl site. Now granted I know there were a couple of in game injuries, but for the most part our line was very healthy. In comparison take a look at New England. I don't think they had anyone start more then 12 games on that line, yet they made the playoffs.

Mouse over the players name.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/BUF

589281[/snapback]

re: Williams - yes, the KC game was the only one he started at LG (in addition to 4 at RT).

Even that was one game too many, as far as Kelly Holcomb and his aching head were concerned....

Villarrial started every game except for the home Miami game, although you're right -- he started a lot more than he finished.

re: Williams - yes, the KC game was the only one he started at LG (in addition to 4 at RT).

Even that was one game too many, as far as Kelly Holcomb and his aching head were concerned....

Villarrial started every game except for the home Miami game, although you're right -- he started a lot more than he finished.

589285[/snapback]

Thanks Lori. CV took a huge step backwards in 05, and it is hard to say why. Age? Declining play of Williams? Injuries? Perhaps a combination of all these factors?

This is sad, because in 04, he was the best player lined up at RG for the Bills in at least a decade. There seem to be quite a few players in this draft that could step in.

This offseason should be one of the most memorable ones in a long time.

Other then Jerman, who sucked, and Preston who sucked each getting a couple of starts, we threw the same line out there, week in and wek out.  Sorry but Mcnally did nothing.

589275[/snapback]

With all due respect to your inside sources (deep within the Bills organization no doubt), we really don't know who made the final personnel decisions that a) resulted in the starting lineups each week and b) Mike Wiliams fateful move from RT to LG.

You know when I will be convinced that RW and the Bills are committed to the OL?

Around April 30th, after FA and the Draft...

Get the players RW AND ML!!!!!!!!!

589359[/snapback]

On that note, here is an article about Hutchinson becoming a UFA.

It is not that promising (he and his wife are from Florida), but I will not give up until it's over one way or another.

Hutch

It is not that promising (he and his wife are from Florida), but I will not give up until it's over one way or another. 

Hutch

589369[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with dreaming...man this would be a HUGE signing for Buffalo if it happens!

Im with you! I wont give up till its over now either! :lol:

Thanks Lori. CV took a huge step backwards in 05, and it is hard to say why. Age? Declining play of Williams? Injuries? Perhaps a combination of all these factors?

589288[/snapback]

If Peters started at RT for 10 games along side Villarial, why is Villarials demise

being blamed on Williams.....

Williams was and is our best RT./....When he was in the game, at least

McGahee had some room to run......In the 10 games Peters was at RT,

Willis had 1 100 yard game in the final game (I think).....Now is the lack

of running game in those 10 games attributed to BAD COACHING or

Average talent on the right side ?

With all due respect to your inside sources (deep within the Bills organization no doubt), we really don't know who made the final personnel decisions that a) resulted in the starting lineups each week and b)  Mike Wiliams fateful move from RT to LG.

589342[/snapback]

I have no inside source within the Bills organization.

You know when I will be convinced that RW and the Bills are committed to the OL?

Around April 30th, after FA and the Draft...

Get the players RW AND ML!!!!!!!!!

589359[/snapback]

Seriously...if the Bills don't have at least 4 or 5 new guys legitimately pushing for OL roster spots after the draft and FA, I'll be very disappointed. I fully expect to see a minimum of 2, and preferably 3, new starters on that line come opening day.

If Peters started at RT for 10 games along side Villarial, why is Villarials demise

being blamed on Williams.....

Williams was and is our best RT./....When he was in the game, at least

McGahee had some room to run......In the 10 games Peters was at RT,

Willis had 1 100 yard game in the final game (I think).....Now is the lack

of running game in those 10 games attributed to BAD COACHING or

Average talent on the right side ?

589379[/snapback]

Bad play-calling, and a trifecta of awfulness at LG-C-RG. Look at all those runs up the middle. Peters was handling his man. The inside was collapsing like a house of cards on every down.

Hutch

589369[/snapback]

Seattle's $21 million under the 2006 salary cap, (sixth best overall), so they should be able to lock up Alexander, Hutch and Hasslebeck through some creative financing.

I wanted the Bills to pick Hutchinson in 2001, but they ended up trading down to get NC.

Agree with RunTheDamnBall the interior is mostly the prob. I'd also like two new starters at LG and C and a draft pick being groomed to take over for Villarial. I believe we could be good with Peters at LT and Williams(with the 30% paycut) at RT. Let us pray...........

Seattle's $21 million under the 2006 salary cap, (sixth best overall), so they should be able to lock up Alexander, Hutch and Hasslebeck through some creative financing.

I wanted the Bills to pick Hutchinson in 2001, but they ended up trading down to get NC.

589397[/snapback]

I appreciate the info, but there is more to consider.

Hasselback and Jones will almost certainly have higher cap figures this season. Their two contracts alone came to 99 million dollars (signed last year), and the hit was softened by the pro-rated cap bonuses.

Alexander and Hutch don't count at all in 06 because they are UFAs. I do not doubt that it will be possible for Seattle to sign both of them, but I don't know who else is a UFA, etc.

I also reserve the right to dream. :lol: