I think it is very telling that our head coach

and our co-ordinators have because position coaches for other teams. Mularkey was supposedly even being looked at as a position coach by Atlanta. The rest of the league looked at our top coaching staff and basically said that they were not worthy of their positions. It's not like these guys all left the Bills and got equal or better jobs, they are having to take steps back in their careers, even though plenty of HC and OC/DC jobs were out there. Watch Krumrie become a strength and conditioning coach or something like that. No wonder we had such a bad year, the guys calling the shots were not qualified to do their jobs.

Guest BackInDaDay
and our co-ordinators have because position coaches for other teams.  Mularkey was supposedly even being looked at as a position coach by Atlanta.  The rest of the league looked at our top coaching staff and basically said that they were not worthy of their positions.  It's not like these guys all left the Bills and got equal or better jobs, they are having to take steps back in their careers, even though plenty of HC and OC/DC jobs were out there.  Watch Krumrie become a strength and conditioning coach or something like that.  No wonder we had such a bad year, the guys calling the shots were not qualified to do their jobs.

588158[/snapback]

See your point about the perceived qualifications of our last crop of coaches, but the truth is, Buffalo is were coaches go to die. Isn't that right, Ralph?

I don't think that's at all atypical.

Every year, several coaches get promoted and more 'come out of no where'. To make room for these coaches, either someone else needs to be removed from the coaching pool (retire/not hired) or be demoted.

Every year a sizable %age of coaches get displaced. Some x % (I'd guess < 50%) find equivalent employment elsewhere. Some get completely displaced (looks like Bates & Sherman might fall into this category). The rest accept demotions. Happens all the time. Look around the league at the # of ex-HC as Coordinators &/or ex-Coords as positional coaches.

So you're admitting that we should've kept Gregg, since he went on to be an assistant head coach (and will soon take over the Redskins team as soon as Gibbs leaves)?

You can't have it both ways.

CW

588166[/snapback]

No No, definitely not that. I wouldn't have minded having him as our DC though. If he becomes the HC in Washington, I believe he will fail again. My point is, these guys are not suited for the HC position or DC/OC positions, and are forced to take a step back in order to succeed. I think some coordinators have what it takes to move to the next level and others do not. I just wish the Bills could figure out how to tell which is which. I know I can't.

Guest BackInDaDay
Actually, it's where they go to learn how to become coordinators, ala Gregg and Wade .

588162[/snapback]

They're all pretty much standing on the same rung of the coaching ladder they were on before stepping up one with the Bills.

Jauron will be someone's DC in 'bout three years. :angry:

So you're admitting that we should've kept Gregg, since he went on to be an assistant head coach (and will soon take over the Redskins team as soon as Gibbs leaves)?

You can't have it both ways.

CW

588166[/snapback]

i wouldn't be so sure of that. Napolean wants a big name as his head coach. When it comes down to crunc time I am not so sure that Snyder will be willing to bump Williams to head coach if there is a bigger name out there.

IMO, it has more to do with what jobs were available than anything else. Gray took the DB coaching job because there were no DC jobs left. If he'd spent more time looking for a DC position, rather than a HC job, he might have landed another coordinator position a few weeks ago. MM wasn't even looking for another HC job and knew he'd have an easy time getting hired as an OC somewhere.

Its the same thing with Hazlett, Martz and Sherman. They'll settle for coordinators jobs until the next coaching carousel begins and hope they get another shot at the top job.

i wouldn't be so sure of that.  Napolean wants a big name as his head coach.  When it comes down to crunc time I am not so sure that Snyder will be willing to bump Williams to head coach if there is a bigger name out there.

588209[/snapback]

If Snyder didn't want GW as head coach, why would he agree to a contract extention that gives GW a million or two if he isn't Gibbs' successor?

CW

i wouldn't be so sure of that.  Napolean wants a big name as his head coach.  When it comes down to crunc time I am not so sure that Snyder will be willing to bump Williams to head coach if there is a bigger name out there.

588209[/snapback]

The way the media is making a star of Gregg, that won't be a problem. :angry:

If Snyder didn't want GW as head coach, why would he agree to a contract extention that gives GW a million or two if he isn't Gibbs' successor?

Because it was a negotiation & usually in a negotiation you can't always get what you want. (but if you try sometime... :angry: )

Suppose it went something like this:

Snyder : We really like you Gregggg & think you're doing a swell job & would like to keep you here for the forseeable future.

Greggggg: Thanks, Danny boy, but I'd really like to be a HC somewhere. What are you proposing?

Snyder : How 'bout we extend your contract a few years & I'll give you $100k extra a year & a lovely shrubbery?

Gregggg: Nope, not interested. How 'bout $10m/yr to remain here as an Asst HC?

Snyder : What, do you think I'm made out of money? How bout a 1 or 2 Mill raise/yr & if we don't let you succeed Gibbs, we'll give you an extra $2m?

Greggggg: Okay, sounds fair.

CW

588211[/snapback]

He may very well want GW to be Gibbs successor, or he may have used that as a carrot to make GW stay.... can't say for sure. The one thing that is certain is that a million or two mean nothing to Snyder, & if he wants someone else instead of GW when Gibbs steps down, than GW is out of luck (save for a million or two).

not to mention there is a guy named Tom Donahoe that doesn't exactly have a bunch of people banging down his door to hire that genius mind of his.

588165[/snapback]

Don't be so sure that TD won't land somewhere next season....there were no GM openings (outisde of Buffalo) and 10 HC jobs up for grabs....my prediction, TD ends up in Detroit, whenever they come to their senses and give Matt Millen the boot!