Canada To Defend The Arctic

Bob Lamb

Maybe it's a response to the movie "H2O," where Paul Gross plays a prime minister who... well, let's not give it away. But it's billed as a "cautionary thriller" re: Canada's abundant fresh-water supply, which like any natural resource, the gov't of the country in ownership wants to either use it to make money or protect it for future use. It's not that bad of a movie. Link.

I do appreciate Harper's use of the word "sovereignty" whereas the Rebecca Peters' of the world argue that b/c several countries in the UN want to ban guns, the U.S. must ban guns too, b/c she says it'll make the world such a better place. What goes on in the U.S. and Canada and Bumf--kistan with their political systems, with their natural resources, with their choice of floor tile, etc. is up to the people of each country.

The Northwest Passage is going to be a reality before too long (probably 5-10 years) as the ice caps melt from all of the global warming that isn't occuring. Who will have use of it if Canada doesn't do anything? What will happen when there's a major environmental accident --- whose problem do you think it will be?

Kinda like when the snow flies here in Illinois... My anti-snomobile markers go up aganist riders who want to ride across my lawn. :blink::D

Yah... it is funny... But, you gotta respect someone's sovereignty. They think it is important... It must be important to them... Why eff with em?

Why don't other governments recognize Canada's right to those waters?

We hold back water from the Colorado (US/Mexico)... We also defend water issues between states (Missouri River).

Seems like the US doesn't want to play by any rules except their own.

Again, it might be trival in our (US) minds... But, that is no the point.

Why don't other governments recognize Canada's right to those waters?

587194[/snapback]

Same reason other countries never recognized Libya's exclusive right to the Gulf of Sidra. There are international rules and laws in place that dictate such things.

Which is one of the reasons I disliked the article. It made no mention of precisely what the Canadians were defending - their recognized 12-mile national waters, their 100 mile (or whatever) economic zone, any and all fisheries they lay claim to regardless of distance from their coast (as I recall, they've had conflicts with Europeans and the US over such things before), or the arctic as a whole. AS you well know, it makes a BIG difference.

Same reason other countries never recognized Libya's exclusive right to the Gulf of Sidra.  There are international rules and laws in place that dictate such things.

Which is one of the reasons I disliked the article.  It made no mention of precisely what the Canadians were defending - their recognized 12-mile national waters, their 100 mile (or whatever) economic zone, any and all fisheries they lay claim to regardless of distance from their coast (as I recall, they've had conflicts with Europeans and the US over such things before), or the arctic as a whole.  AS you well know, it makes a BIG difference.

587237[/snapback]

Exactly... I was gonna point that out, I figured it was assumed... Yes, I was giving Canada the benefit of the doubt... I sure hope they weren't claiming all the way to the North Pole? (Santa may get mad!... And you know Canadian labor/enviro policy :blink: ).