VCoach - Bills hire Steve Fairchild as OC

ACor58

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, how money was not going to be an issue this time around with coaching. It seems that a trend is forming with the new staff. So far, cheaper guys, and one experiment at OC.

OC for this staff is too critical to have another experiment.

"The Bills have hired Steve Fairchild as offensive coordinator. Fairchild, 47, began his NFL coaching career as the running backs coach with the Bills in 2001. After two seasons in Buffalo, Fairchild joined the St. Louis Rams where he served as the offensive coordinator for two seasons and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks for one. In 2005, the St. Louis Rams offense ranked second in the NFC with a 252.3 passing yards per game average. In 2003, Fairchild’s first season as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, the Rams ranked third in the NFL averaging 247.6 passing yards per game."

WELL...since we're all creaming ourselves over stats here...here is Fairchild's offensive rankings with the Rams since he became their O-Coordinator.

2003: 3rd in the NFL in Points, 7th in Yards

2004: 19th in the NFL in Points, 6th in Yards

2005: 11th in the NFL in Points, 6th in Yards

Funny, how money was not going to be an issue this time around with coaching.  It seems that a trend is forming with the new staff.  So far, cheaper guys, and one experiment at OC.

583663[/snapback]

Yeah. I'd rather throw money at a name. Like Kevin Gilbride.

WELL...since we're all creaming ourselves over stats here...here is Fairchild's offensive rankings with the Rams since he became their O-Coordinator.

2003:  3rd in the NFL in Points, 7th in Yards

2004:  19th in the NFL in Points, 6th in Yards

2005:  11th in the NFL in Points, 6th in Yards

583668[/snapback]

Oh nooooooo! Those stats don't even matter as he was the Rams OC in name only for most of his tenure.

He only took the job in St. Louis so that he could hang out with his buddy Martz. I distinctly remember an interview with him in which he admitted that his title of "offensive coordinator" was only granted so that his new position would appear to be a promotion; Greggo wouldn't let him go otherwise. Sure enough, Martz continued to call all of the plays until he HAD to turn the duties over.

We all know how good Greggo's "teachers" turned out to be. :doh:

Funny, how money was not going to be an issue this time around with coaching.  It seems that a trend is forming with the new staff.  So far, cheaper guys, and one experiment at OC.

583663[/snapback]

He's fine as long as Wyche remains on the staff.

583663[/snapback]

How is it that someone who has been hired to be an OC and has spent the past three years being an offensive coordinator can be considered an "experiment"?

I don't believe that Steve Fairchild had much, if anything to do with the Rams offense. I think Martz brought him in as a yes man to cover his own ass. The Rams demanded that Martz hire an O.C., and he did.

Martz called all the plays until he was hospitalized, and he even tried to phone in some plays from the hospital.

That said, it's possible that Fairchild absorbed enough of Martz's alleged genius to help the Bills.

583663[/snapback]

What are Jauron's, Kollar's, and Fairchild's salaries? I haven't seen that information.

Yeah. I'd rather throw money at a name. Like Kevin Gilbride.

583675[/snapback]

Throwing money at names for the sake of doing it is one thing. Throwing money at higher quality coordinators that have recognition for the work is another. I'm not going to pretend to know all of the available candidates out there, but let's just hope for our sake that this is quality guy.

The OC spot is uber critical with this time right now. He's listed as the OC for the Rams the past couple of years, but was he really calling all of the plays with Martz around?? Or, was he just a Martz puppet?? I'm not as familiar with the Rams, so who knows.

Remember, under the DJ system the coordinators are going to running their respective shows, as he will not be micro-mananging these guys.