Draft Priority in order of need

marck

After watching the Bills last year I have come to the belief that the area of greatest need is at Defensive Tackle, then the interrior of the offensive line, then a major upgrade at safety, linebacking depth and a quality back-up at RB.

Assuming the 1st 7 picks go as follows the Bills have a decision to make.

Houston - Reggie Bush

New Orleans - Matt Leinhart

Tennessee - Vince Young

NY Jets - DeBrickashaw Ferguson (Thank God the Jets draft this future bust)

Green Bay - Mario Williams

Oakland - A.J. Hawk (Remeber Andy Katzenmoyer folks, here is his twin)

San Francisco - Jimmy Williams

Buffalo - To be determined

Detroit -

Arizona -

The Lions want and need a defensive end/pass rusher or maybe a QB in this spot and the Cardinals need a QB or RB.

St. Louis and Cleveland follow and the Rams have no need for offensive tackles and Cleveland is building defensive strength and will go Dline or linebacker.

My feeling is that the Bills can trade down to the Rams spot at 11 and still get a quality offensive tackle, but may lost out on defensive tackle stud, Haloti Ngata.

I can also live with the combination of Peters/Williams at the tackle spots and think the bulk of the problem with the offensive line is the interrior line at guards and center. This area should be moved on strongly in free agency as rookies are usually unable to start in those positions their 1st year.

If the Bills trade down to 10 with Arizona so the Cardinals can select Jay Cutler and pick up the Cardinals 3rd round pick, we could draft as follows:

10th - Haloti Ngata - DT - Oregon

42nd - Taitusi Lutui - OG - USC

67th - Pat Watkins - SS - Ohio State

72nd - Jonathon Orr - WR - Wisconsin

74th - Andrew Whitworth - OT - LSU

These selections provide young talent at critical need positions. We also have the possibility of getting a sandwich pick at the end of the 3rd round due to the free agent loses of Pat Willaims and Jonas Jennings from last year and if so, the Bills could add depth at RB with that pick, going with Gerald Riggs Jr. from Tennessee.

Anyways, these are my thoughts and look forward to your response.

After watching the Bills last year I have come to the belief that the area of greatest need is at Defensive Tackle, then the interrior of the offensive line, then a major upgrade at safety, linebacking depth and a quality back-up at RB.

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Detroit -

Arizona -

The Lions want and need a defensive end/pass rusher or maybe a QB in this spot and the Cardinals need a QB or RB.

St. Louis and Cleveland follow and the Rams have no need for offensive tackles and Cleveland is building defensive strength and will go Dline or linebacker.

My feeling is that the Bills can trade down to the Rams spot at 11 and still get a quality offensive tackle, but may lost out on defensive tackle stud, Haloti Ngata.

I can also live with the combination of Peters/Williams at the tackle spots and think the bulk of the problem with the offensive line is the interrior line at guards and center.  This area should be moved on strongly in free agency as rookies are usually unable to start in those positions their 1st year.

If the Bills trade down to 10 with Arizona so the Cardinals can select Jay Cutler and pick up the Cardinals 3rd round pick, we could draft as follows:

67th -  Pat Watkins - SS - Ohio State

72nd -  Jonathon Orr - WR - Wisconsin

74th -  Andrew Whitworth - OT - LSU

These selections provide young talent at critical need positions.  We also have the possibility of getting a sandwich pick at the end of the 3rd round due to the free agent loses of Pat Willaims and Jonas Jennings from last year and if so, the Bills could add depth at RB with that pick, going with Gerald Riggs Jr. from Tennessee.

583547[/snapback]

good plan but Marv won't trade.

If Ngata is at the top of their board, he'll take Ngata.

If Ngata is so good, though, he will likely be gone

583547[/snapback]

I agree 100%. Clog that interior. Sacks and such come from the ends or blitzes these days. And yes, there is OT tackle need, but squaring away the G-C-G gets you that special running game - even lousy OT's are decent in run blocking. And the interior seems less injury-prone - they last a long time. With the way the game is played these days, safeties are a big part of a good defense. Skilled lb's are always a plus, especially if they have some better pass defense ability.

Would really have liked to have seen the Bills give Gates some playing time - the rb bench is a big unknown IMO. Shaud Williams has the guts, but I can't say he would be able to step up in place of WMG - and Willis deserves a few questions, too.

I don't want to see another wide receiver taken until at least round 6...we have too many other pressing needs!

583622[/snapback]

Would you agree if Moulds isn't back next season that there might be a need? I agree that there are more pressing needs as things stand right now, but Moulds being gone could shoot WR right back up the need chart.

I don't want to see another wide receiver taken until at least round 6...we have too many other pressing needs!

I know this does not seem like a priority, but if Moulds IS let go, are you really ready to go into next season with Josh Reed or Roscoe Parrish being our #2? And our only depth being Aiken and George Wilson?

Evans/Reed/Parrish...wow, we really need some size.

I know this does not seem like a priority, but if Moulds IS let go, are you really ready to go into next season with Josh Reed or Roscoe Parrish being our #2?  And our only depth being Aiken and George Wilson? 

Evans/Reed/Parrish...wow, we really need some size.

583638[/snapback]

The midget WR corps worked for the Redskins this year...

But I think the issue is moot because I feel that Moulds will be a Bill next season.

A.J. Hawk (Remeber Andy Katzenmoyer folks, here is his twin)

I agree that Hawk is wildly overrated and have been comparing the Hawk/Carpenter situation with the Katzenmoyer/Diggs situation a couple years back.

But even though I think Carpenter is better, I don't think Hawk is as stupid and doomed as Katzenmoyer was. AJ may not be an All-Pro caliber 'backer, but I do think he can at least play in this league.

Cya

I agree that Hawk is wildly overrated and have been comparing the Hawk/Carpenter situation with the Katzenmoyer/Diggs situation a couple years back.

But even though I think Carpenter is better, I don't think Hawk is as stupid and doomed as Katzenmoyer was. AJ may not be an All-Pro caliber 'backer, but I do think he can at least play in this league.

Cya

583656[/snapback]

Katzenmoyer was the ONLY player I've ever seen actually get worse each year in college and subsequently in the NFL. His first year starting in college he was the man, I'm talking Chris Spielman Revisited. Then...he kept getting dumber and dumber, and his play on the field kept getting worse and worse.

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Detroit -

Arizona -

I can also live with the combination of Peters/Williams at the tackle spots and think the bulk of the problem with the offensive line is the interrior line at guards and center.  This area should be moved on strongly in free agency as rookies are usually unable to start in those positions their 1st year.

These selections provide young talent at critical need positions.  We also have the possibility of getting a sandwich pick at the end of the 3rd round due to the free agent loses of Pat Willaims and Jonas Jennings from last year and if so, the Bills could add depth at RB with that pick, going with Gerald Riggs Jr. from Tennessee.

583547[/snapback]

they need a center -- the weakest spot on their o-line in my opinion.

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Detroit -

Arizona -

583547[/snapback]

Ferguson will be a bust? I think you're incorrect about that. Also, I think Left Tackle is a position that needs to be in the top 3.

Ferguson will be a bust?  I think you're incorrect about that. 

584036[/snapback]

Clearly -- if you've been really bored and watched some of the senior bowl practices, this guy is tremendous. He is big, very athletic and has LONG arms. He isn't a big fat guy, he has great feet and could easily put on another 20+ pounds. He has been absolutely dominant in the practices. NFL network shows the one-on-one blocking drills of each O-lineman vs. D-lineman...The Brick is killing these guys. Given, not dwight freeney he's going against, but the top DLine draft prospects can't touch him.

If the Brick falls to us, we can build our house with him!

Get the brick, build your house!

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Detroit -

Arizona -

583547[/snapback]

DT at least helps us stop the run. then we need an enforcer in the secondary like rodney harrison, lynch, the DC spitter or even palamalu. but they're real hard to come by. if none are available, then agree OL. OLB remains a big question mark due to Spikes achilles, but given other priorities best bet is to play it by ear on that one.

Here's a draft order, by round, for you.

1. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

2. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

3. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

4. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

5. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

6. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

7. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

B-)

Here's a draft order, by round, for you.

1. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

2. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

3. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

4. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

5. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

6. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

7. a football player that will work hard and help team get to Super Bowl

B-)

584359[/snapback]

Thanks Marv!

Thanks Marv!

584369[/snapback]

You're welcome. :w00t:

Seriously though, the Bills need better talent across the board, so I think they'll draft the best player available and not to fill particular positions.

Anywhere on the DL, LB (Spikes hurt, Posey sucks), CB (Clements gone?), S (Troy "too small, hurt again" Vincent and Lawyer "guys with cement in their shoes blow my doors off" Milloy are playing on reputation), OL (any position), TE, WR (Roscoe "smurf" Parrish isn't a starter, Moulds gone?), RB (is Willis in retrograde?), QB (Holcomb is a 1-2 inning middle reliever at best, Losman might be OK or suck, who knows?)...

On the bright side, at least the Bills have talent at P. B-)

I think the Bills should draft the following:

1. Cutler, QB (IF he is the real deal people say)

2. L OT

3. R OT

3. OG

4 - 7 best player available, based on intelligence, character, toughness, and athletic ability

The plan would be to have every one of these draft picks spend his rookie year on the bench.

In 2006, Losman would line up behind Preston, with Geisinger as a starting guard. Those three players would basically be on a one-year job interview. Under this plan, the Bills would be lucky to win 3 games in 2006.

But 2007 is where things get interesting. Either Losman proved himself in 2006, or he didn't. Let's assume he didn't. Now you've got a real QB on the roster in the form of Cutler, and he's had a year on the bench to learn the playbook and adjust to the NFL. You've got most or all of an offensive line, and that's without drafting any OL in 2007. That will free the Bills to go hog wild on defense in the 2007 draft. When the 2007 Bills took the field, they'd have a real team.