The Buffalo Bills choose Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt

As we approach the draft, i'm noticing more and more that Jay Cutler is becoming the "darling" of the draft ala Philip Rivers in 2004.

Most project him going to Miami with the 17th pick right now. I expect that after the Senior Bowl, his stock will rise even more than it has already. Bringing him to around our position.

Now i'm not saying that we should draft Jay Cutler. Certainly not. But what if Williams, Ngata, Hawk, and Ferguson are all gone? What if this team has already given up on J.P. Losman and they select him. What would the reaction be?

Just a curiousity post.....

582195[/snapback]

I would be thrilled. While I think the Bills nedd to address the lines, they need a QB. This guy is the real deal. He has size, a cannon for an arm, a quick release and great presence on the field. He also has tremendous poise and strong leadership skills (see the Florida game). Also, he did not have the top flight talent that Leinhart had and I think would be a fixture at QB for years. Reminds me of another Bills QB named Kelly.

We'll see what happens.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we approach the draft, i'm noticing more and more that Jay Cutler is becoming the "darling" of the draft ala Philip Rivers in 2004.

Most project him going to Miami with the 17th pick right now. I expect that after the Senior Bowl, his stock will rise even more than it has already. Bringing him to around our position.

Now i'm not saying that we should draft Jay Cutler. Certainly not. But what if Williams, Ngata, Hawk, and Ferguson are all gone? What if this team has already given up on J.P. Losman and they select him. What would the reaction be?

Just a curiousity post.....

582195[/snapback]

Only if we could trade down. We need a impact player at #8, Ferguson, Ngata or Williams. If we were to trade our #8 pick for sometime later in the first round and if Cutler was still there, I would strongly consider it.

582195[/snapback]

Cutler has drawn comparisons to Favre. I know another college QB that drew comparisons to Favre and we have him. If J.P is provided with some stability I think that he has what it takes to be successful.

582206[/snapback]

Well if another QB who is not getting it has not been successful also has been described as "Farve-like", why do you think this one will be any better?

But the Bills could do a PR spin like they did with Losman and drive up sales.

Inside Source:

early on, cutler isn't jumping off the page at the senior bowl --> Alabama QB Brodie Croyle is tearing it up....is suprising many scouts and looks like he may be a favorite coming out of the senior bowl.

Another DT that looks awesome is Bunckley from FSU....he will be rated right with Ngata....about 30 pounds lighter, but extremely explosive and great quicks.

The Brick will be a top 5 pick -- he is absolutely dominant and could easily carry another 20-30 lbs. Reincarnation of J. Ogden.

That's the eternal debate between my friend and I.  He swears that you have to have a franchise QB to win in the NFL.  No amount of proof otherwise seems to suffice.  However, I can always trump him with his statement on draft day 1995 that the Jaguars made a mistake making Tony Boselli their first draft pick.  :ph34r:

582392[/snapback]

Didn't they make that selection inpart because they had traded for Marc Brunell prior to the start of the draft? Not saying I disagree with the choice of Boselli but remember hearing they were eyeing a QB with second selection in the days leading up to that draft.

We need an impact player if we stay at #8. I wouldn't consider an O-lineman an impact player unless it was the one last missing piece that would make our line ROCK! We are several players away from that.

Watch the Seattle & Pittsburgh O-lines. They tear people up.

582841[/snapback]

Wonder what round those guys were drafted?

Pittsburgh OL: LT #2, RT #3, both guards and C = #1 picks.

Seattle: RT #3, RG #5, C UDFA, LG and LT #1 picks.

Ten Super Bowl OL starters, and half of them were first-round picks. Hmmm... you could be onto something.

Contrast that with Buffalo's line: once they officially gave up on Mike Williams, third-rounder Mike Gandy took over as the highest-drafted Bills o-line starter. CV was a #5, Teague a #7, and Anderson/Peters were both UDFA...

Contrast that with Buffalo's line: once they officially gave up on Mike Williams, third-rounder Mike Gandy took over as the highest-drafted Bills o-line starter. CV was a #5, Teague a #7, and Anderson/Peters were both UDFA...

582944[/snapback]

Yeah, but it's all about the QB. :ph34r:

Contrary to popular wisdom, first round QBs are not building blocks for the future - if that future includes winning the Super Bowl.

Only one first round draft choice has won the SB for the team that drafted him - Troy Aikman.

582348[/snapback]

Well, Terry Bradshaw drafted #1 overall by the Steelers found his way to win four of 'em... :)

If Ferguson or Ngata are available, I doubt we will be interested in trading down. If they aren't I wouldn't be surprised if we get calls from Dalls, Miami and perhaps other teams interested in Cutler. Depending on how in love with Cutler they are, we might end up getting players like Winston and/or McNeill at the high teens of the first and have two options in the second round of a deep draft for Linemen. I think there was a post saying that 8 was an ideal spot for us. While I'd love any of the seven preceding spots, I think 8 might be one of the most interesting spots for us in terms of options.

582944[/snapback]

An excellent point. But I still think that if Cutler is the real deal, the Bills should pull the trigger. The Bills can go with OL picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, leaving the DL be until next year.

Also, let's not forget that the most important place to find quality OL and DL that will make an immediate impact for us will be in free agency. Remember back to the 2003 draft, at this time that year our greatest need was at LB. After we went out and got TKO, that need was mitigated. We're still going to need some linemen, even if we do land 2 or 3 really goo dones in free agency, but remember also that we have 4 day one draft picks this year. Even if we only invest, say, 2 of them on linemen, that still gives us 2 picks to use on other positions.

Remember also that we have a new regime in charge now, which means that they are going to be less inclined to ride the wave of players that the former regime placed a great deal of faith in. That is to say that if Cutler is as good as some of these recent reports suggest, then it may be worth the risk to pull the trigger. With JP still being an unknown commodity and Holcomb inadequate, it's not as if the QB position isn't one of need for us.

Well, it would be interesting...

583276[/snapback]

Again, let me state that this is not what i'd like to see.

But if Ngata, Ferguson, and Williams are off the board and we can't find a partner to trade down with; I see it happening. Hell, I see it happening even if we do have people to trade down with.

I think Ralph is sick to his stomach with the thought of J.P. Losman. He was TD/MM's baby. I just have a gut feeling with the way Ralph, Marv, and Jauron have been talking that J.P.'s days in Buffalo may be numbered. I think Ralph might want his own QB and Cutler might be that guy.

I can see them pulling some **** like that.