JP Losman deserves better

1billsfan

I'm embarrassed at how many fans here have already given up on this kid. Post after post I read how it's Kelly Holcombs job or another journeymen veteran's yet to be acquired. Kelly Holcomb sucks, he's had 10 years in this league to put it all together and he finishes with 4 turnovers against the Jets to close out our miserable season. I have no doubts that Losman will surpass Holcomb in training camp. What I find amazing is the amount of weak-kneed hand wringers here who can't stomach the development of a young QB. Y'all must be from the Mike Malarkey School of QB Handling. Suck it up and deal with it, this team is not going to the Superbowl next season. I know it may come as a shock to some of you but it had to be put out there. None of us know if JP Losman is the next Brett Favre/Matt Hasselback or if he's a genuine first round flop. However with that said, the last thing this team should do right now is to not give him the chance next season. Fans and players need to put down their Superbowl pipe dreams for the coming season and get behind Losman. This kid has talent and skills, before we see him in the playoffs in another team's uniform for the next 10 seasons the Bills organization needs to give him the chance in 2006 to show he's the man.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm embarrassed at how many fans here have already given up on this kid. Post after post I read how it's Kelly Holcombs job or another journeymen veteran's yet to be acquired. Kelly Holcomb sucks, he's had 10 years in this league to put it all together and he finishes with 4 turnovers against the Jets to close out our miserable season. I have no doubts that Losman will surpass Holcomb in training camp. What I find amazing is the amount of weak-kneed hand wringers here who can't stomach the development of a young QB. Y'all must be from the Mike Malarkey School of QB Handling. Suck it up and deal with it, this team is not going to the Superbowl next season. I know it may come as a shock to some of you but it had to be put out there. None of us know if JP Losman is the next Brett Favre/Matt Hasselback or if he's a genuine first round flop. However with that said, the last thing this team should do right now is to not give him the chance next season. Fans and players need to put down their Superbowl pipe dreams for the coming season and get behind Losman. This kid has talent and skills, before we see him in the playoffs in another team's uniform for the next 10 seasons the Bills organization needs to give him the chance in 2006 to show he's the man.

581960[/snapback]

Fans typically dont have patience, and have hot poclet attitudes. They should be ignored- seen, but not heard

I'd like to believe that JP will be a better QB than Holcomb. Right now, that's not the case.

And the 4 INT game you cited is a bit misleading, is it not? He had two balls bounce off receivers hands and get picked, another was a desperation toss at the end of the game. But since you're into stats, take a peak at JP's numbers. Then take a peak at Holcomb's. Same players, different results.

Personally, I hope they are true to their word and open it up to competition this summer. I think that JP would perform better if he's being pushed. A better performance out of JP is something that all Bills fans should want to see.

Whether JP's the real deal, I don't think so. I don't think he has "it." I'm hoping like hell that he proves me wrong.

I'm embarrassed at how many fans here have already given up on this kid.

581960[/snapback]

I think there's quite a few more people behind him on this board than are against him and calling him a bust. It will be a moot argument anyway, because he is going to crush anyone they bring in here for camp competition, including Holcomb. I will continue to wear his jersey with pride. I root for the laundry, but I'm hoping like hell the kid succeeeds here.

The Bills are in pretty bad shape at the QB situation right now.  I like JP but he wasn't given time to develop last year and that shakes my confidence in next season.  I want Holcomb cut.

582008[/snapback]

WHAT! He's one of the best backups in the NFL, and isnt expensive- you need a good backup!

We are quick to judge JP and there are two people to blame for this. Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. If it weren't for these once (twice?) in a lifetime finds then all NFL fans could deal with the development of a QB. Instead, because of the success these phenoms have had, we expect results immediately. I can only imagine what it was like in Cinncinatti last year when Marvin Lewis made the incredibly unpopular decision to bench Kitna and go with Carson Palmer. Palmer was terrible and I'm sure the Bengal fans were calling for Marvin's head. He stuck tough and let Carson get his snaps. And the rest is history.

On our hand, our moron head coach felt the heat and crumpled like a piece of paper and put Holcomb in to save his own job. If he had some back bone, JP would have stuck in their, gotten his game lumps and be prepped for this season. Instead, he's got to do it again under the microscope of Bills fans AGAIN. And he's in no better shape now than he was at the beginning of camp last year.

If JP fails, the Bills coaching staff (MM's) should shoulder the blame.

JP deserves what he earns. It plain and simple. He now has 8 starts under his belt, 2 training camps ( plus a 3rd this summer). If he has what it takes, his game will rise to the surface and he will earn the #1 job. I will say the great QB's that come along like Brady and Roethlisberger just seem to "get it" from the beginning. JP really has to work on his accuracy and awareness in the pocket.

We are quick to judge JP and there are two people to blame for this.  Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.  If it weren't for these once (twice?) in a lifetime finds then all NFL fans could deal with the development of a QB.  Instead, because of the success these phenoms have had, we expect results immediately.

582013[/snapback]

Eli seems to be producing a better than average amount as well. It seems like everyone is producing except JP.... :lol:

I'm embarrassed for JP Losman too. No quarterback (aside from that freak in Pittsburgh) starts out good. They take time to develop. Jim Kelly was an accomplished quarterback before he even came to Buffalo. Give this kid some time to develop. He won't be great next year, but give him a year to learn. If he is stinking up the joint in 2007, then I say he is not the future. But give him a few years at least.

This kid only played in what... five games? He won two of them (Houston and KC). He has great potential, throws strong... and runs with the best of them.

I can't believe he didn't play more last year. Reason enough for me to be happy MM is gone.

We are quick to judge JP and there are two people to blame for this.  Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger.  If it weren't for these once (twice?) in a lifetime finds then all NFL fans could deal with the development of a QB.  Instead, because of the success these phenoms have had, we expect results immediately.  I can only imagine what it was like in Cinncinatti last year when Marvin Lewis made the incredibly unpopular decision to bench Kitna and go with Carson Palmer.  Palmer was terrible and I'm sure the Bengal fans were calling for Marvin's head.  He stuck tough and let Carson get his snaps.  And the rest is history.

582013[/snapback]

Actually- its the people who judge him too quickly that are to blame-not the guys who developed faster

Actually- its the people who judge him too quickly that are to blame-not the guys who developed faster

582029[/snapback]

That was the point I was trying to make, because these great QB's play so well, we as fans expect all QB's to be spectacular straight from their first training camp. We are all too quick to dismiss a young QB as 'Ryan Leif'.

Look at Eli, he took his lumps in the most scrutinized football market in the East. He showed great improvement over his first year after getting raked thru the coals by Giant fans and media.

582029[/snapback]

It's less a judgment and more of an observation.

I just don't foresee him getting better than a typical journeyman. Subjectively, I see him being the next (insert QB great), but objectively, it's a different story.

For the love of all things holy and right, please JP, prove me wrong!

jp reminds me of flutie the way he runs around and makes plays......

yeah i said it.

582041[/snapback]

The running around part reminds me of Flutie. In fact, I think JP makes better decisions when he's not over-thinking it, ie, when he's on the run and is just reacting.

That was the point I was trying to make, because these great QB's play so well, we as fans expect all QB's to be spectacular straight from their first training camp.  We are all too quick to dismiss a young QB as 'Ryan Leif'.

Look at Eli, he took his lumps in the most scrutinized football market in the East.  He showed great improvement over his first year after getting raked thru the coals by Giant fans and media.

582036[/snapback]

You (the fans) simply can't have it both ways. If the Bills decide to start JP all 16 games next year (and "develop him") they probably will go 5-11 again...maybe 6-10 if he really matures. That's not good enough for the WIN NOW NFL. You (the fans) will ask for Jauron's head on a platter, you will ask for Levy's resignation, etc...

How about the 2006 Buffalo Bills just play the very best players at each position that they can find. If it's JP then I'm going to be behind him 100%. If it's not then I'm not going to sit here and fret about his development because i want to win NOW.

The running around part reminds me of Flutie.  In fact, I think JP makes better decisions when he's not over-thinking it, ie, when he's on the run and is just reacting.

582053[/snapback]

that might be a good reason why the no-huddle would work well run under losman.....as people have stated in other threads....

it would allow him to just react...no more thinking. it ruins his game.

And the 4 INT game you cited is a bit misleading, is it not?  He had two balls bounce off receivers hands and get picked, another was a desperation toss at the end of the game.  But since you're into stats, take a peak at JP's numbers.  Then take a peak at Holcomb's.  Same players, different results.

581991[/snapback]

Just because the receivers managed to get their hands on them doesn't mean that they weren't poor throws by Holcolmb. I'll give you the interception that Shelton tossed into the defenders hands. Even though the throw was poor there is no way that would have been intercepted had Shelton not played hot potatoe with it.

IMO Holcomb makes some of the same stupid decisions as JP does. The difference is that Holcomb has been in the league a long time. He should have learned from those mistakes by now. The fact that he hasn't backs up my belief that he is an excellent back up or spot starter but he has never been, nor will he ever be, a full time starting caliber quarterback.

The fans and media that call for Holcomb to start seem desperate for any win. All year long many claimed that by starting Losman and giving him playing time you were throwing the season away. IMO it was obvious by game 3 that there wasn't a season to throw away. There was no play-off caliber defense wasted. All that was gained by starting Holcomb was to delay the growing pains of a young quaterback.

Campy I don't know where you stand on the issue and I am not calling you out. You just happened to post something I felt I needed to respond to. I had not entered into this arguement during the season.

I don't know if Losman is the answer at quarterback, but I really hope that he is and I am pulling for him. What I do know is that Holcomb is not the answer. He is a career journeyman quarterback who can give you a good game now and then. He has been in this league for 10 years and still hasn't found "it". There will be no light bulb that finally turns on in his head. Give JP the ball and see if he can find "IT".

It amazes me that some fans will give Holcomb more time to improve after 10 years but they won't even give JP 10 games.